Looking for a Rocker switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a Rocker switch

Have found rocker switches that illuminate when switched on.
But is there any type of rocker switch that illuminates when off. Then maybe a different color when on?
Looking for a green color to match the ford dash light colors, but illuminated so you know where its at. Then when switched on, maybe illuminated a different color, so that you know the accessory is 'on'.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have not see tri-state ones ( but I have not looked ).

If you wire the illuminated switch "backwards", it will be illuminated all the time.
Uusually an illuminated switch is wired so the LED ( or bulb ) is hooked to the "output" side of the switch.

If you wire it so it "backwards" the power to the switch on what the directions would call the device or output side, the power is on the indicator lamp all the time.
Using this diagram:

Wire the power to the terminal marked accessory, and the device to the terminal marked power.

Another route to trying to find a tri-state indicator switch is just use an LED indicator lamp next to the switch to show it as on. This could be red, where the switch is green. Not too hard to find small opening LEDs, so it is not an ugly install.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Radio shack has some. Green for on and red for off. I know for sure they had to differant styles. The ones I picked up are Part# 275-0027. I havent installed them yet, I was going to try and wire them so it was green off to match the dash and red on but I don't think I can because the way the switch is internally wired. Since I am going to install some switches also, Where do you plan on pulling power from? I plan on mounting the switches next to the cig lighter so I was going to tap off it.
If you cant find the switches on line let me know Ill snap a pic of mine.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Old 05-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Merty
Radio shack has some. Green for on and red for off. I know for sure they had to differant styles. The ones I picked up are Part# 275-0027. I havent installed them yet, I was going to try and wire them so it was green off to match the dash and red on but I don't think I can because the way the switch is internally wired. Since I am going to install some switches also, Where do you plan on pulling power from? I plan on mounting the switches next to the cig lighter so I was going to tap off it.
If you cant find the switches on line let me know Ill snap a pic of mine.
Before you posted, I was at radio shack and looking but did not find a switch like this but I was looking for a rocker not a toggle. I will have to go back in and see if I can find this one. Still not sure I want a toggle though.
Did you ever figure out if you could change the color of the toggle at all to match the dash lights when off?
Not sure where to pull power from, but was planning on putting next to cig lighter also.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:54 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Why not use a rear window defrost switch from an Expedition? You can tap off of the dimmer switch and when it is powered on it illuminates.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by JMC
Why not use a rear window defrost switch from an Expedition? You can tap off of the dimmer switch and when it is powered on it illuminates.

Whats the switch look like?

Old 05-15-2010, 09:34 AM
Sorry, I missed the rocker/toggle thing. I originally wanted the rocker also but just didnt like the way it looked so I settled for the toggle.
Two color rocker is here.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...64#tabsetBasic

If all the RadioShack parts drawers are the same it should be in the far right corner all the way to the back of the rocker switch bin.

Haven't installed my switch yet, I just hope they are not too bright.

I like the defrost switch idea but does it have the defrost symbol in the middle? Since I have two sets of lights, I was going to try to use a headlight w/ fog switch but couldn't find one at a reasonable price. I wasnt sure on a location to mount it either.

Last edited by Merty; 05-15-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: added link
Old 05-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Merty
That one may not work. It's 125VAC.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Your right, I missed that but I think it should work anyway. If its rated at 125 VAC, thats the max it can handle. The light up potion should work, LEDs work only on DC. I doubt it has an incandescent bulb in there, even so it would/might just dimly glow.

When I went back to the RS website, I noticed on the customer reviews about a recall, I guess the wiring diagram on the package is confusing.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Rocker switch