rear brake lights not working on 99 f150

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much guys! I literally just ran outside and swapped the fuses back to their original fuses and took my rear LED's out and replaced them with the stock bulbs. The rear LED tail lights I installed were these:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...retrofit/2616/

The front turn signal LED's I used were from VLEDS (v3 triton amber/amber switchback).

To prevent hyper flash I installed 6 Ohm 50 W resistors inline at each LED light location for 4 total (they were not built in to the lights). When I checked my MFS I just disconnected and checked all the connectors to see if any wires had come disconnected or frayed but couldn't find anything wrong.

My rear turn signals will light up to brake light intensity and operate normally (with LED or stock bulb installed) but I noticed also that when I turn my hazards on, my front left LED turn signal will not come on but my right one will. Thats why I was thinking it was my MFS. My turn signals work fine on either side when used normally. I will try to look at the brake lights tomorrow with my meter.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:28 PM
Update: Got home today and decided to fool around some more with the MFS. Wiggled the hazard switch when it was activated and the front left turn signal started to work again. So I figured I'll try to see if the brakes worked as well and what do you know they did. I will have to get a new MFS.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:04 PM
At My Wits End.. Scared to Drive

I read EVERY single post. I checked the fuses, everything was fine. I replaced the Multi Function Switch, I bought a new wiring harness for the lights and replaced the old one (the wire connections were loose). And still I don't have any rear brake lights, turn signals and neither does the hazards blink. I checked the connections at the trailer hitch and under the truck by the spare. My husband is out of town and I am terrified to drive my 01' F150 without them working. I don't have anymore ideas and I have already missed one day of work. The head lights work, the blinkers in the front and the hazards in the front all work. Any other suggestions or ideas would be welcomed. I am at my wits end and beyond desperate at this point.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:40 AM
Re:

Have you tried unplugging the cruise control module? That's what a ford mechanic did that was helping me did and BOOM! I had brake lights!!
Originally Posted by 4EverMyFord
I read EVERY single post. I checked the fuses, everything was fine. I replaced the Multi Function Switch, I bought a new wiring harness for the lights and replaced the old one (the wire connections were loose). And still I don't have any rear brake lights, turn signals and neither does the hazards blink. I checked the connections at the trailer hitch and under the truck by the spare. My husband is out of town and I am terrified to drive my 01' F150 without them working. I don't have anymore ideas and I have already missed one day of work. The head lights work, the blinkers in the front and the hazards in the front all work. Any other suggestions or ideas would be welcomed. I am at my wits end and beyond desperate at this point.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:43 PM
rear break light

So I have been reading the break light problems. I have rear running lights, back up lights, and turn signals. I took the truck to the local auto store and had a diagnosis ran and it came up with a bad ground wire. but I don't know where it could be, I think I have found to 2 and checked and cleaned them. Does anyone know if there are more ground wires or and I just chasing my tail. I checked the 1 from the firewall to the engine, and 1 for the trailer plug.

thanks
Paul

Old 08-24-2017, 03:13 PM
2001 F150 no brake lights, green wire was loose problem fixed thanks

Old 09-26-2019, 10:48 PM
I need help please

I have a 2000 f150 super cab with a 4.2l v6

The passenger side rear lights work perfect but i have only reverse lights on the drivers side.

I'm not veru good with electrical and I think I found the fuse but it doesn't seem to be blown.

If someone could please show me exactly which fuse it is and give me advice if it's not the fuse I would greatly appreciate it.

My email is
Youngbloodiscrazy@gmail.com
You can contact me through that email at anytime

Old 10-26-2019, 10:49 AM
Ford brake lights not working on the side but working at the top

Old 01-14-2020, 03:22 AM
Did you fix ? If so can you please help me

Originally Posted by 4EverMyFord
help

Old 04-29-2020, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by stevenminix
well i got a ticket today, my rear brake lights dont come on when i hit the brakes, but my 3rd brake light does. i checked fuses they looked ok, i replaced the bulbs still nothing. can someone tell me what it may be? like anyone familiar with what fuses i could change that are pointed directly at rear brake lights? i checked em but i am afraid they look good to my eyes and still could be the culprit. also are they any relays i might need to change and which ones??? thanks a bunch dont waant another ticket...
ah I see. I have a 1999 f150 and mine does the same thing exactly. And I wanna fill you in on something. So apparently when they ran the brake light wiring through the truck it crosses the steering wheel. And depending on where you have your wheel positioned would cause the wiring to pinch and the lights won’t work. Mine has to have the wheel all the way up. This worked for quite some time for me but now they are starting to do it again so I’d have to position it up again and see if the work. Sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn’t. I personally love ford but they were idiots when they did this. But no need to worry. If you can position your wheel to the right spot to unpinch it, you should be good for a while until you are able to fix it yourself or get into a shop and have them look at it and fix it. Thank you

Quick Reply: rear brake lights not working on 99 f150