rear brake lights not working on 99 f150

Old 09-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Start with does the CHMSL work when you press on the brake pedal and did you check the fuse for the stop lamps ?

Old 09-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Start with does the CHMSL work when you press on the brake pedal and did you check the fuse for the stop lamps ?

No. The CHMSL does not work either. My trailer brake lights don't work either. I checked my fuses, and they don't work either. I was wondering if I should replace the switch on the pedal.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you checked the fuse, and it did not work, did you replace it ?

Old 09-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by merendac
I tried the suggested fix to clean the connector pins and make sure the pins are making contact. This was not the problem for me. Does anyone out there know of any possible problems? I was thinking of replacing the light switch on the pedal. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

you've hit the right thread. You'll need to remove the plastic covers that cover your steering column. Three screws on the bottom part of the shroud. It will also require you to remove the tilt lever (unscrew it). Then you'll also need to remove the plastic piece that is the cover/guide for you ignition key into the switch. When you have those removed you'll see the connector on the top mid/left of the steering column. I'm guessing it apparent - you'll see at least one wire (green ) pulled away from the connector. Yes, the rear brake lights go through the steering column and this connector. If you screw back in the tilt lever and move tilt the steering wheel up/down - and watch the wires - you'll see the design flaw there. Yes - your third (upper) brake light works ( does not go through here ) but the rear lights (lower) do.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Thanks for all the great info. After checking the bulbs, fuses and the connector that seems to have a design flaw I finally went out and replaced the switch on the brake pedal; and to my relief the brake lights work once again. I figured I would post this info, keep this thread alive and add this additional possible problem to the list.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:13 PM
None of my brake lights work nor the 3rd brake light.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:53 PM
I just went outside to check fuse 13 and 15 in the fuse box inside the cabin and both were good. I checked the plug wiring that connects to the brake light switch located towards the top of the brake pedal. It was not connected all the way so I pushed the plug all the way in the brake switch and now all my brake lights work. Horray!!!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:49 PM
Help

I know this is an old thread, but im hoping someone is still out there. I drive a 2001 f150. My problem is fairly consistent with the rest, except I have a trailer brake control and it is still receiving a signal when I push the pedal. But only the brakes on the trailer work, none of the brake lights(truck or trailer). Does the brake controller have its own switch?

Old 07-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Nevermind.....

Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 AM
brake switch

Are you saying the brakes on the trailer work, just not the "brake lights?" For me the switch on the pedal was bad and that fixed the problem for all the brake lights.

Originally Posted by Adam_beck
I know this is an old thread, but im hoping someone is still out there. I drive a 2001 f150. My problem is fairly consistent with the rest, except I have a trailer brake control and it is still receiving a signal when I push the pedal. But only the brakes on the trailer work, none of the brake lights(truck or trailer). Does the brake controller have its own switch?

Old 01-20-2015, 08:23 AM
No brake lights

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone has some suggestions. I have the same problem, no brake lights nor turn signals. My truck is blowing the #13(brake/signal fuse). I have replaced the connectors to the MFS as well as the MFS. I still continue to blow the fuse.
I had someone check the wiring for a short, and we started at brake lights and went through the entire truck. At every connector it tested that there was a dead short. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 01-21-2015, 07:51 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
When is it blowing F13? When the pedal is pressed or immediately when the fuse is installed?

If immediately, did you have recall 05S28 done?

Old 01-26-2015, 05:03 PM
It blows #13 fuse as soon as installed. How can I check to see if that recall has been performed? I think I only have one outstanding recall and that is for the fuel tank straps.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:49 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Ford has a recall check tool on their website, you'll need your VIN.

Open the hood, find the switch mounted on the brake master cylinder, and unplug it. That will usually clear the short if the recall has not been performed.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Ford has a recall check tool on their website, you'll need your VIN.

Open the hood, find the switch mounted on the brake master cylinder, and unplug it. That will usually clear the short if the recall has not been performed.

I am having a similar problem but only one of my break lights is working, it's the passenger side that is not but my turn signal works for that side, any ideas???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear brake lights not working on 99 f150