Reverse Sensing System won't turn on??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse Sensing System won't turn on??

I have a 2004 fx4 supercab and the rss button won't turn on. Pushing the button doesn't do anything, just stays off...Any help would be appreciated!

Old 02-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Medlin04
I have a 2004 fx4 supercab and the rss button won't turn on. Pushing the button doesn't do anything, just stays off...Any help would be appreciated!
I hate to ask the obvious - "Have you checked fuses?"

- Jack

Old 02-26-2010, 10:02 AM
The only button associated with the RSS is for turning it off when you are backing up with the tailgate down. Going in to reverse activates the system. Do your backup lights work? Working our way back to the fuses.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Yes i checked the fuses and they were fine..the fuse for the trailer back up lights was blown but I replaced that already. When that fuse was blown my reverse lights wouldn't work so maybe there is an association with that too?

Old 03-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Medlin04
Yes i checked the fuses and they were fine..the fuse for the trailer back up lights was blown but I replaced that already. When that fuse was blown my reverse lights wouldn't work so maybe there is an association with that too?
What fuse did you change ?
It should not matter if Fuse #10 is blown for the trucks' reverse lamps.
The truck reverse lamps are Fuse #14 ( this is the fuse brought up in the other thread https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...se-lights.html ).

If Fuse #14 is good, and fuse #10 is pulled, the truck's reverse lamps should work.

If not, are you the 1st owner of the truck ?

Old 03-01-2010, 04:00 PM
I replaced fuse #10 and that fixed my reverse lamps..I am actually the second owner, got it a few weeks ago

Old 03-01-2010, 04:36 PM

If your truck's reverse lamps don't work with fuse pulled, you might want to see what the previous owner did.

I am guessing that there was a problem with the reverse lamps, and the PO spliced the truck's reverse lamps into the trailer tow adapter reverse circuit to make them work.

The DTR should be fine, as it is signaling the trailer tow reverse lamp relay, but the splice towards the Parking Aid and the trucks reverse lamps is not working.

1. Check the truck's reverse lamps in the rear of the truck, to make sure they are not spliced into the trailer tow adapter reverse circuit.

2. Check splice S290 ( passenger side kick panel ) for power when the truck is in reverse. This splice is by the ground lug in the lower right hand corner by the fuse panel.

3. Check the splice S297 ( passenger side kick panel ) for power when the truck is in reverse. This should have power. This is in front ( towards the front of the truck ) of the fuse panel, about half way up.

4. Check the PAM for power with the truck in reverse. The PAM is in the driver's side kick panel, up from the parking brake.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:42 PM
reverse lights

i'm having a similair issue. My reversing solenoid rubbed on the trailer acutator and must have shorted out. the blue wire up to the 5 pin connector is melted. I checked all the fuses and they seem fine. especially the one that the manual says controls the trailer reverse lights. On the truck the center wire on the 7 pin is black with pink stripe. I checked and it has continuity all the way up to where it goes into a connector next to the fuse panel, on the passenger side floor. there was a blown fuse but it was for the trailer battery charge, a 30 amp pink cube one. I'm not sure which relay is fed by the trailer reverse fuse. The reverse lights on the truck work fine, just no reverse light power to the trailer side. I can't figure it out, Did i blow a relay? why didn't the trailer reverse lights relay blow??
thanks for any help

Old 04-03-2010, 06:13 PM

Can you post some information or complete your profile for your truck ?

What are you calling the "trailer acutator" ? Do you man trailer tow adapter / plug ?

I get this from the 5 pin comment, but from the factory you have a 4 pin or 7 pin trailer tow adapter / plug

If you look at the diagram above, the trailer tow relay is non serviceable, meaning it is hidden in the fuse panel .

The trailer tow reversing fuse is not a 30A fuse, it is a 20 A ATM fuse ( fuse #10 ).

You should only have relay failure ( "blow a relay" ) from over AMP draw, other wise they should work fine for ~ 10K cycles without issue.

Might want to start with checking the correct fuse for the trailer tow reversing circuit, if you have a 2004-2008 MY truck. If you have a 99-03 ( and 04 Heritage / Lightning models ) this would be different.

Also, the description is centered around the trailer tow reversing circuit, is this the only issue, or do you have a problem with the Parking Aid system ?

Old 04-03-2010, 09:48 PM
i have a 2006 F150 and it has the factory installed wiring harness. The "trailer actuator" mentioned is the surge brake ball mount on my trailer. When i put it back together the reverse override solenoid wire rubbed on the frame and touched ground. So when i put it in reverse it must have shorted and melted the insulation on the trailer pigtail. it actually melted through to the trailer ground too. What was wierd is that when i got home i didnt find the trailer reverse lights fuse blown, but the large square pink fuse for the trailer charging blown. I checked the fuses that the manual said were for trailer reverse lights and they all seem live. im wondering if i blew a relay, not sure why the fuse would not have blown.

Quick Reply: Reverse Sensing System won't turn on??