07 headlamps - switch powered or relay controlled

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 headlamps - switch powered or relay controlled

Apologoes if this has been asked a jillion times. I searched a bit but didn't find a definitive answer.

In my now-totaled Vic I did a relay-circuit and bulb upgrade for the headlamps with very satisfactory results (in the Vics all the headlamp power ran through the switch). Does the 07 F150 run all the headlamp current through the switch or is the circuit relay fed? If it is switched only, is there a prefab relay harness kit available or will I have to gin one up from scratch?

Brad

Old 02-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad Johnson
Apologoes if this has been asked a jillion times. I searched a bit but didn't find a definitive answer.

In my now-totaled Vic I did a relay-circuit and bulb upgrade for the headlamps with very satisfactory results (in the Vics all the headlamp power ran through the switch). Does the 07 F150 run all the headlamp current through the switch or is the circuit relay fed? If it is switched only, is there a prefab relay harness kit available or will I have to gin one up from scratch?

Brad
Relays. Same for High-beams & Fogs.

Search through the numerous posts by Sscully for schematics - or hang out until the Man responds.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:04 PM
M'kay.

Actually that makes things a bit easier for what I eventually had in mind... hopefully. I'm going to mount some driving lights in the chin spoiler and power them with relays activated by the high-beam circuit (fully switchable for Off-Auto-Manual function in the cab). If I can locate the high beam relay I can tap into the circuit there and not have to chop into the harness.

Brad

Old 02-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I know I have posted this a few times

The easy route is to either use an add-a-fuse in the high beam fuse slot to power the switch to the relay ( if you want to be able to turn them off ) or you can tap right into the harness behind the headlamp housing for the high beam circuit ( inline splice, easy to do ).

Old 02-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Oops ! :o

OP - very sorry - I thought I saw a diagram depicting relays for the lows ( and fogs)... must have been thinking of something else, lol.

Thanks for the correction Scully!

Old 02-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Don't really care that the lows are not relay controlled. It's the high beams I most interested in. I did the relay conversion on the Vic to maximize the high beam output without going into modifying the exhisting housing or converting to a different lamp type (lots of roadside deer in some places I travel). Looks like all the time and effort it took to install the relay harness on the Vic has been done for me on the truck. Yay!

Didn't realized the high beams were fuzed seperately. That makes it dirt simple. Jumper off the fuse and use that to feed one leg of a three-way switch (one leg for activating the driving lights when the high beams come on, one leg wired to constant hot for manual activation, and one dead leg for "completely off").

All I need to do is find a three position switch that blends into the interior. Preferably rocker type that's small enough to mount in the panel next to the factory headlight switch. I suppose I could get uber-fancy and rig up an indicator light setup.

Thanks!
Brad

Old 02-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Oops ! :o

OP - very sorry - I thought I saw a diagram depicting relays for the lows ( and fogs)... must have been thinking of something else, lol.

Thanks for the correction Scully!
Half right, the fog lamps do have a relay operating them.

On the 04-08, the low beams are just like the 97-03, powered through the MFS.

09+ MY that changes,.

Quick Reply: 07 headlamps - switch powered or relay controlled