Auxilary Reverse Lights Through the Trailer/Towing Harness

Old 02-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auxilary Reverse Lights Through the Trailer/Towing Harness

I am looking to add auxilary reverse lights and would like them to be activated automatically when I put the truck in reverse. I have the trailer towing package with the 7-pin connector and was wondering how to go about splicing into this to make that happen, if its even possible. Will I be able to do all the wiring necessary from that grouping of wires or will I still need to run a wire to the battery? The lights will probably be a 55 Watt variety off of the local Auto Parts shelf. The threads I read when I searched all had the lights activated manually with a switch in the cab and, while a nice option, it is not what I need.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There are a few threads on the topic ( with diagrams ) for hooking the lights up so they can run every time.

Use the trailer tow reverse circuit on the 7 pin trailer tow adapter

Old 02-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Or go with one of these products...

http://www.back-upbuddy.com/products.asp

Old 02-04-2010, 08:32 AM
SScully,

Thanks for the diagram. As far as finding a thread on it, I wasnt able to. Like I said, all the ones that I found where for running the lights with a cab mounted switch and new wire from the battery.

With that diagram, I should then be able to splice into the Trailer Battery Feed line and the Trailer Backup Lamps for the electrical needs for Reverse Lights, correct? And obviously using the relay that would come with a set of lights.

Lariat,

I looked at those lights as well and they just didnt appeal to me. I previously had purchased the White Knight reverse lights and returned them because i did not like the way it looked in person. Thanks for your response though.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That would be the setup.

The trailer tow adapter battery circuit has a max draw of 11.5 A, using fuse #106, 30A.
The trailer tow adapter reverse circuit has a max draw of 5 A, reversing circuit is on the same fuse as the trailer tow parking lamp circuit ( fuse #10, 20A ).

There should be a few threads from me on this topic with the setup on the aux reverse lamp setup. Might have a SPDT switch so they can come on with the reverse lamps or be turned on to run all the time. The switch could be mounted anywhere ( I have mine in the back of the truck, driver's side ).

Old 02-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Just plug in

I have aux reverse lights mounted under the bumper. I just bought a 7 pin plug and wired it up. Now I just plug it in and it comes on with reverse. No wire splicing. I like it because all exposed under truck wires are still stock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auxilary Reverse Lights Through the Trailer/Towing Harness