Fuse keeps blowing out!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fuse keeps blowing out!!

The 5 amp fuse that controls the interior dome ligts, the windows, the wipers, but most important the gear shifter keeps blowing out. After it blew out for the first time I replaced it, it only lasted about a month before it blew out again, since then it has blown out twice in the same day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Using the override for the gear shifter to get it out of Park is no fun. thanks,

Old 02-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Identify the fuse by its number. Use the chart in the owner's manual as a a reference.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks, I know which fuse it is but when I try to replace it it goes out as soon as I insert it in the slot, looks like there is a short somewhere, and ideas of common areas for shorts related to this fuse? Thanks,

Old 02-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by escbsap
Thanks, I know which fuse it is but when I try to replace it it goes out as soon as I insert it in the slot, looks like there is a short somewhere, and ideas of common areas for shorts related to this fuse? Thanks,
At the risk of repeating the question again, which fuse ?

We don't know which fuse it is you are having problems with, so it is kind of hard to offer any suggestions.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:32 PM
sorry for the lack of details,
Here it is, it is the 5A fuse, color tan, located on the driverside fuse panel just below the steering wheel, the location is 15.
thanks again,

Old 02-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Here's a little tip that's good for both the internet and for life:

Getting an attitude instead of answering questions when asked for details when YOU asked for help will usually get you ignored in the future....

Old 02-01-2010, 08:44 PM

CJB ( aka Central Junction Box, cab fuse panel ) fuse # 15 does not control the items you listed ( interior dome ligts, the windows, the wipers, etc ). Are you sure it is fuse #15 ?

CJB Fuse #15 is for :
Stop Lamp Switch, (Speed Control, Brake Shift Interlock, ABS, PCM Module inputs), GEM Module.

Could it be you are replacing CJB Fuse #14 ?
Battery Saver Relay, Interior Lamp Relay, Accessory Delay Relay (Power Windows).
If so, this is a 15A fuse, not a 5A fuse ( which would explain why the 5A fuse is blowing straight away ).

Old 02-02-2010, 11:15 PM
I double checked the diagram in the manual thanks to projectSHO89 above, and identified the fuse, I made sure to replace fuse #15 not #14 still no luck, I checked all the fuses in this panel all are working execpt for # 15. I am really confused because all the things that are not fucntioning in my truck are not listed in the details diagram for this specific fuse??

Old 02-14-2010, 09:59 AM
I double checked the diagram in the manual thanks to projectSHO89 above, and identified the fuse, I made sure to replace fuse #15 not #14 still no luck, I checked all the fuses in this panel all are working execpt for # 15. I am really confused because all the things that are not fucntioning in my truck are not listed in the details diagram for this specific fuse??
we just started having the same issue with our truck. was told the the lights, windows, etc go out because of the gem module to that fuse. still have not been able to figure out whats causing it to blow, have you had any luck finding the problem?

Old 03-09-2010, 07:16 PM
speed control

The speed control deactivation module is shorting out. This is the probelm the recall is suppose to fix. I was having the same problem this morning and I traced the short to it.
You need to unplug it immediately. This is what has caused many fires and it doesn't matter if the truck is running or not.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:57 PM
5A fuse keeps blowing

Did you take your truck in to get the recall fixed? I am having the same problem, and would like to know how to use the override for the gear shifter. thanks for your time

Old 05-02-2010, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by YATYAS2141
Did you take your truck in to get the recall fixed? I am having the same problem, and would like to know how to use the override for the gear shifter. thanks for your time
1. Could you please complete your profile or post some specs on your truck ?

2. Did you have recall 05S28 done on your truck ( and when, there were 2 or 3 revisions to the recall harness ).

Is the "override" you are posting about mean for the shift interlock ? If so, the procedure should be in your owners manual ( depending on the MY, don't know what that is ) turn the key to the accessory position ( could be run ? ) but do not start the truck. Press and hold the brake, shift into Neutral. Start the truck in neutral, and place into gear.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:32 PM
I completed my profile, sorry about that.
I haven't gotten the recall fixed at all but i made an appointment at a nearby Ford dealership for tomorrow morning, to get the recall fixed, after that goes down I can post the results. The procedure you described is the what I was looking for, and I have no idea why that never crossed my mind, I appreciate your quick response, and thank you for your time.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:57 PM
5A fuse keeps blowing

So the Answer to this problem is in fact the cruise control recall i took mine to a Ford dealer and they replaced the recall, which fixed the fuse problem, it is the speed control switch and they also replaced the harness.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:30 AM
update fuse #15 blowing out

I had the recall done for the cruise control and within 5 minutes of pulling out of the dealership the fuse blew out again. For some getting the recall worked but not on mine. I decided one day to just see if i could see any visible shorts. I took off the front door panels and went thru the wires and sure enough i found one in the wire connection for the interior lighting (btw my interior lighting and door chime has not worked for years, it just wasnt that big of an issue for me...till now). It seems, along with a few other wires wrapped in electrical tape and those black protective wire coverings, that ford used interline wire connectors and my wire had slipped out. I just replaced the connector and my lights started working and (for several months now) no more blown fuse! BTW the door open light would only work on the left side after fixing, so i checked the right side door panel and it was the same wire! I still find it odd that out of those four wires on both sides only those ones had come unconnected.

I do feel i should point out that i had found one other short. On the passenger side, right under the the glove compartment, all the way to the right, under the plastic panel that pulls off by the door, i found one other lone wire that the plastic had been rubbed thru and was touching the frame. I just wrapped it in some electrical tape. It's a little hard to find because there are alot of wires under that panel and i'm not even sure what it goes to but if the other fix doesn't work it's worth a try.

...Sorry if this is confusing, I'm just an amateur that likes to try and do things on her own without paying a fortune and wanted to let anyone know of the fix.

Quick Reply: Fuse keeps blowing out!!