blinker and brake light not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blinker and brake light not working

just got my gem module replaced, winshelid was taken out and and resealed..

only problem it didnt solve was my passenger side brake/blinker still doesnt work...any1 have an idea?

Old 11-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Tried to find it in the previous posts with no luck, so I'll ask now ( or again if that is the case ).

The right brake / blinker not working, is this just the rear blinker, or the front and rear ?

Thought it was rear only, and the parking lamp worked correctly.

Have you check the 16 pin connector at the base of the steering wheel ?

This is the main connector for the the circuits to the MFS. It could be there is discoloration on the pins causing the circuit to be open.

You are looking for the circuits to the rear, in connector C253, the wire color is Orange w/ Light Blue stripe wire. ( Diagrams below ).

You should be able to put a 16 AWG wire in the connector, to test with a meter.

This is the 1st place to check, closest to the MFS.

If you do not have power leaving the MFS, time to remove MFS and test it.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:31 PM
aight tested the orange and blue stripe wire at that plug and no juice...test the green one for the drivers side just to be sure and there is juice there...so just to clarify the orange/blue stripe wire has nothing at that plug....i kno0w u said to test it but i am not postive on how to do so...can u please explain?

and thanks so much for your help...u have gotten me farther and more info over the internet that 2 dealers and 2 repair shpo[s have done for me....truly appreciate it
thanks

Old 11-15-2009, 06:09 PM

Don't know if it was clear with the test I suggested ( I re-read my post )

This is a test with the passenger side turn signal on. The test light / meter should cycle between no voltage and voltage.

The other way is to press on the brake pedal, and it should have constant voltage.

If you want to test the Driver's side turn signal, that is Light green w/ Orange stripe wire.

Not sure if this is the green wire you are talking about, or The light green ( no stripe ) wire, which is circuit 511, which is power from the BPP ( Brake Pedal position ) Switch.

If you got power from the connector you tested the Light green wire in, that was the wrong side of the connector, if they were unplugged.

Sorry about not being too clear about what you should have been doing while looking for power on that wire, and if you could clarify if you had the connector together or apart while you tested for power and if when you got power on the Light green wire, if you had the brake pedal pushed down.

One other item of note, the connector you are testing with is a 16 pin connector, that is 4 pins x 4 rows, and the light green wire you tested to is close to the connector tab ( Dark Blue wire is next to it ).

You seem to have the testing process down, you were just giving rubbish test procedures

Once you get a chance to confirm & re-test if required, then we can get the next step.

Don't thank me yet, all I have managed to do the past 2 days is make you waste time.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY

This is a test with the passenger side turn signal on. The test light / meter should cycle between no voltage and voltage.yes i tested that wire with the pass turn signal on but there was nothing, this was with the plug still plugged into the MFS, i used a paperclip to use as a jumper to test, i also test the drivers side to be certain i was doin it right and it flashed wiht the driver signal on

If you want to test the Driver's side turn signal, that is Light green w/ Orange stripe wire. i did that while plugged in and everything functioned corectly

Not sure if this is the green wire you are talking about, or The light green ( no stripe ) wire, which is circuit 511, which is power from the BPP ( Brake Pedal position ) Switch.sorry for being confusing...the green wire i was mentioning was for lead for the drivers side turn signal/brakelight

If you got power from the connector you tested the Light green wire in, that was the wrong side of the connector, if they were unplugged.as long as we are still on the back side of the streering wheel, that is where my final test was that showed now power, that was with it plugged into the MFS

Sorry about not being too clear about what you should have been doing while looking for power on that wire, and if you could clarify if you had the connector together or apart while you tested for power and if when you got power on the Light green wire, if you had the brake pedal pushed down.behind the steering wheel i had the connector still attached to the MFS, i didnt test the light green wire with the brake pressed down, i was testing the lead for the drivers side brake/turn signal, which i belive was a darker green with a maybe orange strip, i traced both lead wires for each side from that back all the way to the front and checked for power on each side at ever connection( belive it was 2 plugs under the truck, and a 3rd under the air filter under the hood, at all of these i had power to drivers side but nothing for passenger

One other item of note, the connector you are testing with is a 16 pin connector, that is 4 pins x 4 rows, and the light green wire you tested to is close to the connector tab ( Dark Blue wire is next to it ).

You seem to have the testing process down, you were just giving rubbish test procedures

Once you get a chance to confirm & re-test if required, then we can get the next step.

Don't thank me yet, all I have managed to do the past 2 days is make you waste time.
figred it might be easy just to answer ur questions in ur quote in bold instead of confusing myself m,ore...lol

Old 11-16-2009, 08:59 AM

You can remove the MFS to test it, but I think you have confirmed that the MFS is having an issues with the passenger side contacts.

With the MFS in the neutral position the brakes should work, but this is what is not happening, along with the turn signal.

You can pull the steering wheel column cover, and pull the MFS and test with a meter, but I think you are wasting your time doing this. You might find a problem with the connector at the MFS itself, possible not probable on this being the problem.

To access the MFS, you will need this thread on removing the ign cylinder :
https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...beep-beep.html
Look to post #10 from JMC on removing it.

The other 3 screws in the bottom of the cover that he talks about, remove the bottom cover, and with the bottom cover off, and the ign cylinder out, the top comes off easier in my opinion.
The MFS will be right on top of the steering wheel base, easy access.

This is why I suggested just replacing the MFS, It is about 20 min or so to remove it to test it, put in back in another 15 / 20. Order new and spend another 40 min on it. Your call if you want to test.
Here is the test chart, watch the connector you are testing on, there are 2 of them. You want to test on C202a. The pin numbers are in the diagram, and the chart for the pass side.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:36 PM
thanks..i am prob jsut goin to replace it, even thou the brake isnt activated thru the MFS, a mal****ioning MFS could cause the brake light/ turn signal to not work propoerly correct? i plan on goin tomorrow to order it, any places online u know of or should i go to the dealer?

Old 11-16-2009, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by fatboystuntz
thanks..i am prob jsut goin to replace it, even thou the brake isnt activated thru the MFS, a mal****ioning MFS could cause the brake light/ turn signal to not work propoerly correct? i plan on goin tomorrow to order it, any places online u know of or should i go to the dealer?
Actually the brake lamps are through the MFS. It is the neutral position of the MFS that closed the contacts from the BPP to both the rear tail lamps.

This is where the problem is at, the right side seems completely dead.

Think of a DPDT switch, with a center position.

The center position is the brake lamps, either direction is the turn signal and the hazard. The problem with your MFS is that center position, it is as if the internal parts that connect to the right rear tail lamp is not there.

The places I used are Tasca & Southwest, but here is the full list

Dealers in no particular order :
----------------------------------------
www.fastpartsnetwork.com
Fast Parts Network, LLC
652 Nautical Way
St. Augustine, FL 32080
Sales:
sales@fastpartsnetwork.com
www.southwestfordparts.com
Southwest Ford
3000 Fort Worth Highway
Weatherford, TX 76087
V: 817-596-8074
Keith Sexton Asst. Parts Manager
www.fordpartsonline.com
Bob Utter Ford
2525 Texama Parkway
Sherman, TX 75090
v:866-941-FORD
www.tascafordparts.com
F150online.com Site Sponsor
Tasca Automotive Group
1300 Pontiac Ave
Cranston, RI 02920
v: 800-915-3141
www.thinkpartsguy.com
F150online.com Site Sponsor
1100 Oyster Bay Ave South
Bremerton, WA 98312
www.directfordparts.com
Silver State Ford
2121 E SAHARA AVE
LAs Vegas, NV 89104
www.tituswillfordparts.com ( previously fordparts.com )
Titus - Will Ford
3606 S. Sprague Ave.
Tacoma, Washington 98409
v: 800-637-6876

Quick Reply: blinker and brake light not working