DIY Homelink

Old 10-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY Homelink

Not sure if anyone has posted anything like this in the past. Today I got a little bored today, the weather was bad and had nothing better to do with my time so I disected a garage door remote.

With the help of some wire, solder, a momentary switch, a couple tools and about 30 mins. I now have a homemade homelink remote opener. I did this on for my Polaris Sportsman but could easly be done on a F150 as well. The guts of the remote are hiden in the headlight pod of the atv and are wired into the 12v outlet so the battery on the remote is no longer used and will never have to be replaced. Then I added the small momentary switch on the headlight pod in an easily accessible but not very noticable spot.

Pretty straight forward and easy to do, just start with a remote opener that uses one of the small (AAA type) 12v batteries, the skylink GS5 is what I used. Open it up and find the contacts for the button and solder some wire and the momentary switch to it. Then solder some wire leads to each end of the battery connections and hook the wires up to a 12v source and your done.

The F150 has so many good spots to hide the remote and there are so many different momentary switches out there, the possibilites are endless. I think I will be doing this to my truck and the Gf's Jeep this weekend.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by CobyMedic
Not sure if anyone has posted anything like this in the past. Today I got a little bored today, the weather was bad and had nothing better to do with my time so I disected a garage door remote.

With the help of some wire, solder, a momentary switch, a couple tools and about 30 mins. I now have a homemade homelink remote opener. I did this on for my Polaris Sportsman but could easly be done on a F150 as well. The guts of the remote are hiden in the headlight pod of the atv and are wired into the 12v outlet so the battery on the remote is no longer used and will never have to be replaced. Then I added the small momentary switch on the headlight pod in an easily accessible but not very noticable spot.

Pretty straight forward and easy to do, just start with a remote opener that uses one of the small (AAA type) 12v batteries, the skylink GS5 is what I used. Open it up and find the contacts for the button and solder some wire and the momentary switch to it. Then solder some wire leads to each end of the battery connections and hook the wires up to a 12v source and your done.

The F150 has so many good spots to hide the remote and there are so many different momentary switches out there, the possibilites are endless. I think I will be doing this to my truck and the Gf's Jeep this weekend.
This is a nice idea. I'm moving it to the electrical forum, because that's where I think it belongs. And, when you do this for your truck, take pictures and show what you're doing. This sounds like something that could go into the "How To" forum.

- Jack

Old 10-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's one of those mods I've always wanted but never came across a visor with the homelink. Great idea man

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Homelink