Cruise control not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 03:54 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
You have to remove the recall harness and replace it with the new harness. The recall harness has an inline fuse and I think it has a blue tag on it.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recall harness just removed. It had the two small blocks which appeared to be inline fuses and the blue tag.

I'll test it out in the morning on my way to hunt ducks.

It didn't even occur to me to pull that recall harness out when I replaced the deactivator.

There was so much gunk on it all due to the leaking condition that I didn't notice the other connector. The deactivator that they put in at the recall had failed too. Lucky the truck didn't burn up years ago.

And yes, the 3rd brake light was working before and still is.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:10 AM
hey , I just fixed mine also, order same setup in pictures posted, blew the brake fluid off of terminals, because my deativater was leaking badly, got all my conections wet in plug in, replaced deactivater and new harness, took recall harness off. now my cruise works like new

Old 10-17-2015, 12:10 AM
ordered it from amazon. OEM Ford

Old 10-21-2015, 12:27 PM
Rrrrr.....

Finally got a chance to drive the truck over 40 last night. (Been replacing seals and bearing for the last couple evenings.)

Still no cruise control. The light doesn't even come on when I hit the ON switch.

The light does come on when I run the self test, and the 3rd brake light works.

This isn't that big of a deal, but it's grating me now. Same as the no high beams condition.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:58 PM
I'm having a similar problem with a 2000 F150 XL that I just picked up to replace my 1996 Ranger XLT. I did the tests & the light blinked once after each part of the test but I did not actually see the accelerator cable move, I only heard a little click. Does that indicate the servo on the driver's side of the engine compartment? When I'm driving the truck & push the "ON" button the "Cruise" light does come on but nothing more happens. Hope this is enough info to solve the problem, if not tell me what else to test, oh yeh, the fuses all checked out good & the brake lights work.
Thanks

chuck

Old 10-29-2015, 07:06 PM
glc
Are you saying that nothing happens when you hit the SET button? Have you checked the recall harness for continuity? There's a fuse inline the harness.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:57 PM
cruise not working

Hi glc.
When I hit the set or on button the "Cruise" light on the dash comes on but the cruise does not engage. I did a basic light check with my wife watching the rear lights & they all work, brake, turn signal, park & backup. The light on the rear of the cab comes on when I open the door but does not come on when I hit the brakes (problem)?
I haven't any idea about any recall harness but the only one that showed up was the gas tank straps. When can I find this so I can check the fuses? What was the recall number & what was it supposed to do or fix?
I'm almost thinking that the servo might be bad since everything checks out with the self test except I do not see the cable move when it checks the thing that engages the cruise.
Where do I go from here besides the expensive dealer?
Thanks

chuck

Old 10-29-2015, 09:34 PM
glc
Refer to the picture in post #22. The recall was because the deactivation switch (shown in pic, screwed into the master cylinder) would leak and short out. They replaced the wiring harness to it (also shown in the pic) with one with an internal inline fuse. The recall harness should have a blue tag on it. If the cruise recall doesn't come up when you search your VIN, it's probably already been done.

If the 3rd brake light doesn't work, that COULD be the issue, depending on year. Easy enough to fix, replace the bulb.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:38 PM
Looks like I'll have a few things to keep me busy tomorrow, I also have to find out why the horn doesn't work, the fun of buying an older used truck. The previous owner wasn't hard on the truck, he just didn't repair anything correctly. Instead of replacing the bound up rusty hood latch he just left it stuck & installed 2 hood pins. Instead of adjusting the gap at the top of the driver's door he added more rubber strips, had a heck of a wind noise until I adjusted it. And the list goes on but I'm working thru them 1 at a time.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:32 PM
Unable to complete Cruise Control Self Test Sequence

Originally Posted by missileer
My cruise on my 2000 Ford F150 is not working either. I ran the self test. It flashed indicating it entered self test. I got a single flash when I pressed "On" but NO flashes when I pressed "Resume", "Coast" and "Set/Accelerate". What does that mean?
I'm running into the same problem that Missileer is running into when trying to run the cruise control self test on my 2002 F-150. I can get the system into self test mode, and I get the cruise light to flash when I press the on switch. However, I get no flash when I go to the next switch in the sequence - the Resume. This would seem to indicate that the resume switch is bad, however that doesn't seem to make sense with the problem I'm having with my cruise control. My problem is that I'm able to turn the cruise control on, and when I am at highway speeds, I can hit the Set button and the cruise control light comes on. However, the vehicle will not hold at speed. My truck has the recall installed and I tested the brake switch with a VOM and it is in working order. My third brake light is also in working order. Has anyone else had these exact symptoms, and if so, what ended up fixing the problem? I'm thinking I have a bad set of switches (resume, set/acell, coast) on the right side of the steering wheel. I've visually inspected the wires coming down the steering column and nothing appears to have been pinched or cut. I'll replace the switches if they're bad, but don't want to tear apart the steering wheel assembly if I don't have to, especially with the airbag in there. Any advice on additional diagnostics or even a diagnosis would be extremely appreciated.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:23 PM
glc
If it's had the recall done, check the recall harness for continuity. It has an inline fuse.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:19 PM
glc, I checked mine for the recall harness which it seemed to have, blue tag & all, but when I peeled back the tape covering I did not find a fuse of any kind so I got out the old ohmmeter & checked for continuity & both wires were fine. Not sure where to go to next. If it stops raining next week I may have to slide the topper back enough to get into the 3rd light & make sure that is OK. I just went outside to the truck, had my wife get in & close the door. The clear lights work when you open the door but with the door shut no red or clear lights come on when you step on the brakes so I need to fix that first.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MN1967Fire
My problem is that I'm able to turn the cruise control on, and when I am at highway speeds, I can hit the Set button and the cruise control light comes on. However, the vehicle will not hold at speed.
This sounds like an issue with the servo not holding the throttle.

Did the self test complete to the servo operation ?

Old 11-01-2015, 09:40 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by clr0gers
glc, I checked mine for the recall harness which it seemed to have, blue tag & all, but when I peeled back the tape covering I did not find a fuse of any kind so I got out the old ohmmeter & checked for continuity & both wires were fine. ......
Did you check for + VDC Light Green w/ Red stripe wire ?
- This is hot at all times from CJB Fuse # 13.

Originally Posted by clr0gers
....... The clear lights work when you open the door but with the door shut no red or clear lights come on when you step on the brakes so I need to fix that first.
Sorry, I don't think I understand what you posting here.

I think with the door open the clear lights are the dome lights.

With the door closed, step on the brakes no red lights is the brake lights on the rear of the truck but what clear lights are not coming on with the brake pedal depressed.

Quick Reply: Cruise control not working