Window Wipers Problem

Old 10-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Wipers Problem

So my truck has been having the wipers stay on even when the switch is in the off position. So I read up on here and pulled apart the switch, cleaned and re-greased it and they still stay on. So i looked at the fuse for the wipers-fine. The only other option is the start/park relay under the hood(#202). I couldn't get it out however. Does this sound right? am I missing anything? and am I just not pulling hard enough on the relay?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:31 PM
ok so i pulled the relay and got a new one, still the same problem.....any thoughts fellas?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by madmaxwell87
k, i was wondering what was going on, wasn't getting answers so i tried another section,sorry
No problem, just message me if you want it moved, but I think the elctrical is where it belongs. Maybe someone will chime in.

Last edited by Bluejay; 10-12-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would say the MFS is the problem still.

Ghost wipers is usually caused by the MFS making contact while in the off position.

Remove the MFS from the steering wheel column, and test it

Don't know how I missed this one the 1st time around

Last edited by SSCULLY; 10-12-2009 at 09:57 PM. Reason: spelling is not why I got the job
Old 10-12-2009, 10:47 PM
No problem, you found it now. So you think its still the switch? The wipers will go faster when pushed to the top two fastest speeds but wont speed up or slow down in the intermittent stages. They wont start on their own, just wont stop when turned on.

Looks like I need a volt meter or test light. So I should just test terminal 4 and 6? Are these schematics of the board you can see when you pull the spring and plastic piece? Thanks for the help

Edit- I did some research on the MFS-I guess ill pull the end of the stalk off again and clean/re-lube it. Looks like I might need to pull the whole thing out and check the connections though

Last edited by madmaxwell87; 10-12-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The diagrams above are the connector in the steering wheel column, where the MFS is at.

Here is a thread that shows the MFS removed, you can get an idea of where they pins are at.

You will need a Meter that can measure resistance to test the switch, test light will not work for this.

From the description, it still sounds like a problem with the MFS. Once you run the tests, you will get a better idea

Old 10-13-2009, 12:55 AM
Thanks for all the info

Old 04-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Bringing back this thread for an update.

Replaced the MFS with a new one from Ford. NOTHING! So again the fuse is good under the dash, the MFS is brand new so what else can it be? The only other options I can see is the relay again or the wiper motor themselves.

Also it’s probably un-related but thought Id mention it. I’ve burned through a tail light in about a week and a half. It was never an issue until about 2 weeks ago, and just yesterday it’s burned out again.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:44 PM

what info did you find on here so far madmaxwell? im having a similar problem with mine cept they dont turn on and the the dome light stops working also. its a short of some sort since it comes and goes and has been coming more the past two days.

i read in here something about re greasing the switch. care to explain more on this as i mine keeps having greasy stuff coming out of it when i grab it.

also this is the start of my search

Old 04-19-2010, 04:57 PM
When I first had the wiper problem I searched for windshield wipers and came across a lot of people with wiper problems. The first suggestion I tried was to pull the end of the stalk off and clean and re-grease the circuit board in the stalk. That didn’t fix it so I replaced the relay under hood and that didn’t help. The last step was to replace the whole switch in the steering column but that didn’t work either.

Sounds more like you have a grounding/short problem (mine could be that as well)

As for re greasing it, it’s easy.

1. Pull the cap off the end of the stock.
2. Hold the selector in like your turning on the washer fluid and unscrew the screw at the end.
3. Slowly let the selector out. There is a spring behind it.
4. As you pull it out there is a spring with two bullet looking pieces that come out from the top and bottom of the stock. Watch for them as you pull the selector off as they may fall off.
5. When you pull off the selector there is a white plastic piece that goes between the selector and the circuit board.
6. Once you get everything out of there you will see the circuit board.
7. Get some electrical connection cleaner and spray it in there. I found Q-tips to work the best at getting all the old grease and such out of there.
8. Put some di-electric grease in there and re-assemble.

I’m sure you can search windshield wipers and get a better explanation

Old 04-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Another Update-

My dad found this link to a recall for my truck for the exact same problems I'm having. Going to call Ford today and see what they can/will do about it.
http://www.automotive.com/2000/49/fo...lls/80036.html

Old 04-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Yet another update- turns out the taillight was related to the MFS. Putting the cover back on the steering column pulled the two wires that control the light loose. Pushed them back in and carefully put the cover on and good to go.

Got a part number for the wiper motor gear cover which is the part that was recalled so I’m gonna order one up. I also have the ford instructions for getting to and replacing this cover if anyone needs it in the future.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Ordered a $26 wiper motor from rockauto. Gonna put it in this weekend. Ill update after that

Old 05-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Final Update!

Its fixed! After lots of time,sweat, little blood and some money its fixed! Turns out it was the $26 motor the whole time.

Had a fun time wrestling out the wiper asembly. after that it was smooth sailing.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Congratulations on fixing your truck and Thank You for actually taking the time to come back and tells what was wrong!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window Wipers Problem