power for headrest monitors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question power for headrest monitors?

i ordered a set of headrest monitors and was wondering where i should get the power from? of course i want the monitors to turn off when the key is out of the ignition, so im guessing i would have to wire it to an acc wire??? anybody got any ideas or any1 do the install themselves?

thanks, anthony.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure if you are adding other gear or not ( AMP, etc ), but I would figure the safe route is to use the accy delay ( radio fuse ) circuit with an add a fuse to power a relay.

The relay could be used to power the monitors, as well as other items.

Take a look at www.fuzeblocks.com for a nice setup.

You run a circuit from the battery to the fuse block, a trigger ( add a fuse in the radio slot ) and select which fuse is hot all the time, or hot when the trigger is on.

Using an add a fuse in the radio slot allows you to put the radio fuse back in, and have a separate fuse for the trigger to the fuzeblock fuse panel ( or standard relay setup if you go that route ) that will run for the same delay as the radio ( and power windows ).

Old 10-01-2009, 08:55 PM
well i do have an amp already installed. so are you saying i should get like a relay and wire harness- almost like whats used for light kits, but just run that from the battery to my monitors and then splice into my remote wire from the amp so that could trigger the relay? allowing power to flo thru the relay only when the remote wire is on?

see the amp i had installed by my local audio shop b.c i didnt want to mess with the stock headunit. so the remote wire is already there...

Old 10-02-2009, 12:34 PM

That would be a good way to go then. The AMP already has the trigger wire for a relay setup on it, so no messing around with it.

Just need to run the wire from the battery for the relay or Fuse panel ( which might come in handy later ? )

Old 10-02-2009, 01:27 PM
thats what im gonna do...the relay- what should it be rated for amp wise? you think i should go with a 15 amp relay/12v?

Old 10-02-2009, 02:12 PM

I would total up the power requirements of the monitors, and that is 80% of the load.

Example, :
8A each monitor
2 x 8A = 16 A

16A is 80% so a 20 A fuse and relay would be what I would install.

I would guess 15A is more than enough, but I am taking a SWAG that they are ~ 3 A each, check to be sure.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
I would total up the power requirements of the monitors, and that is 80% of the load.

Example, :
8A each monitor
2 x 8A = 16 A

16A is 80% so a 20 A fuse and relay would be what I would install.

I would guess 15A is more than enough, but I am taking a SWAG that they are ~ 3 A each, check to be sure.
i wired everything up and it worked out perfect. the only issue i am having now is there is a slight static on both monitors when dvd is playing. to make a long story short, its something with my battery. i hooked up the dvd player to a different 12v source other then my truck and it worked fine. now i have alot of things such as accesories in my truck. ( sound system,train horn, foglights,led lighting in bed). now im thinking being that all this is connected to my battery, some sort of noise interference is transfering through my battery and going thru my dvd player. im thinkink that the dvd player is sensitive to that. im clueless.. what i am going to do is disconnect everything from my battery but the dvd player and monitors and try it from there. if it still does it them im guessing its my battery but i cant see it being that...

p.s i forgot to mention that i know its not a bad ground or something with the wiring because i wired the dvd player directly to the battery and still had the same issue

Last edited by AntzFreshWhip; 10-04-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:51 PM

Might want to check the audio section, for noise filters ??

That is about the only thing I can think of, or check for other monitor installs.

It is the power, not the video signal to the monitor where the "noise" comes up from ?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:55 PM
well it seems to be the power. because when i hooked up the same dvd player to a 12v battery charger, it worked perfect. so it seems when i switched power sources, it made a difference. so im guessing its some kind of noise interference going thru the batt and giving me that static...

Old 10-04-2009, 09:58 PM
i find it hard to believe that a noise interference going through the power to the dvd player would give me a video static...but it seems like thats whats happening.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by AntzFreshWhip
i find it hard to believe that a noise interference going through the power to the dvd player would give me a video static...but it seems like thats whats happening.
Could be the power to the monitor, or it could be noise on the RCA lines to the monitor.

That is the part I am unsure of.

When you tested with an external 12 power, did you leave them hooked up to the DVD video source in the truck ?

When you switched the power, did you take it off the relay from the battery, and insert the external 12 source, and the problem when away ?

Old 10-04-2009, 10:21 PM
all i did was hook the dvd player to a different power source and the monitors were playing clear- i was not using the relay. it was a totally different power source. a 12v battery charger that plugs into a wall outlet. when i hook it up to my trucks battery, its plays a little fuzzy. like i said, i know for a fact its not the rca's- because i even went as far as hooking one of the dvd played in my house up to my monitors and it played real clear with the same hookup....im not sure if your following me, its quite confusing.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:03 AM

Can you try changing the DC power to be at the relay ? and the ground at the monitor and play a DVD from the truck ?
This would require a bit of additional wire, but I want to make sure if it is the power source, power route ( wire route ) or the route of the video signal ( RCA route, which sounds like it is not ).

Changing the power at the relay will use the same circuit route, and if it plays clear, that gives you the direction to go.
If you change, and it plays the same, that means the route used for the power is where the noise is being introduced.

Quick Reply: power for headrest monitors?