I replaced my bad starter and now my truck still wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I replaced my bad starter and now my truck still wont start.

2002 f-150 fx4 lariat supercab, k&n cai, edge evo, mickey thompson baja claws, true dual super 40's.Ok so my starter died on me due to excessive water damage, and I replaced it with a brand new one from Advanced Auto Parts, a new one not a re-man starter. Once I put it in my truck when I turn the key it just clicks rapidly like I have a bad connection or something. So I checked and cleaned all of my positive and negative connections, and still the same thing. I also took out the stock battery and replaced it with an Optima blue top deep cell dual purpose battery. But this time it clicks once and melts the terminals at the battery. Im so lost. I have checked absolutely everything I can think of fuses, relays, my sylenoid, everything. Somebody please help me if you can, thanks.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by AHindle
2002 f-150 fx4 lariat supercab, k&n cai, edge evo, mickey thompson baja claws, true dual super 40's.Ok so my starter died on me due to excessive water damage, and I replaced it with a brand new one from Advanced Auto Parts, a new one not a re-man starter. Once I put it in my truck when I turn the key it just clicks rapidly like I have a bad connection or something. So I checked and cleaned all of my positive and negative connections, and still the same thing. I also took out the stock battery and replaced it with an Optima blue top deep cell dual purpose battery. But this time it clicks once and melts the terminals at the battery. Im so lost. I have checked absolutely everything I can think of fuses, relays, my sylenoid, everything. Somebody please help me if you can, thanks.
If it's melting terminals, you have an ENORMOUS current draw! And, I'd look for a short in the wiring to the starter or possibly you did not connect the starter correctly? If the solenoid is still working, then I'd think you have some kind of short to ground prior to that point. I can't imagine a solenoid standing up to the kind of current you are describing.

- Jack

Old 09-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have checked all the wires connecting the starter, the starter is hooked up correctly I know because I switched the connections and it ran backwards. So it's hooked up right and the starter is good I know because I had it checked. So I am at a loss for what could be wrong. I thought that the hot wire and the ground might be corroded because I have been through some water in my truck, but when i changed them it still did the same thing. And I know the sylenoid is fine and can with stand the power because I have four 15's and two 3000 watt bass amps and a 4000 watt highs amp all running off of that battery. SO again im lost.

Quick Reply: I replaced my bad starter and now my truck still wont start.