2009 E-350 trailer wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E-350 trailer wiring harness

We have a 2009 Ford E-350 van with the 5.4L in it and it came with the trailer tow package on it. And we are trying to install a Tekonsha P3 contoler on it but we cant seem to find the right wiring harness. The van had a bag of like 5 or 6 wiring harness's. The install guide says the Fords color wires are pink,red,white,blue,brown we dont have one with pink. Can someone tell me or show me a pic of the trailer wiring harness I need for the van?

Thanks

Old 08-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you talking about the Pigtail that would install under the dash, if you do not have the TBC ( Trailer Brake Controller ) ?

Not sure on the 2009 E-350, if this is like the Super Duty or like the F-150.

Are you talking about the pigtail like this ( if similar to the F-150 ) ?

This is in the cab of the truck, which I think is what you are asking about, considering you are referring to a Tekonsha P3 controller

Old 08-31-2009, 11:30 PM
Yes I'm talking about the pigtail.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:06 AM

Does one of the 5 or 6 look like that one ?

Is there a picture like that in the Trailer Tow Install directions ?

Work with me here, 1 line answers do not provide much info.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:41 AM
I can do you 1 better by not trying to tell you what they look like, but by showing you a pic of all of them.

That's all that came with the van.. I hope they didn't forget to pack the one I need.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:58 AM

No picture, the link does not work in the thread, nor in a new window

http://alabamastormchasers.com/img/plugs.jpg

Old 09-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
No picture, the link does not work in the thread, nor in a new window

http://alabamastormchasers.com/img/plugs.jpg
Woops, I forgot I have it so people cant link to my pictures.

Try this.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:10 AM

The only 2 that look close are the 2nd from the left and the 4th from the left.

Do the part numbers match what is in the trailer tow directions ?

No clue what the other ones are for, wrong number of pins and wrong connector shell gender.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:15 AM
The only 2 that look close are the 2nd from the left and the 4th from the left.

Do the part numbers match what is in the trailer tow directions ?

No clue what the other ones are for, wrong number of pins and wrong connector shell gender.
All it shows is what color wire goes to the wires on the brake controlers pigtail.. Like it says Pink goes to black, Red goes to Red, White goes to White, Blue goes to Blue, Brown goes to nothing.

Now the two you said don't have solid colors. One is blue with green strip, green with red, yellow with gray, yellow with red, purple with black,, yellow to purple.

The other one is green to red, white to red, yellow to Orange, then just a black wire.

Oh and the part numbers are:

First one: 14A411-EB
Second one: 14A411-GB

Old 09-01-2009, 12:13 PM

Might want to see if Tekonsha has a pre wired connector for the controller and the E-350.

Without knowing what wiring harness the instructions are referring to, there is no way to tell what is what.

You can guess that the connector is the same, and try that, but that would be asking for trouble, if you guess wrong.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Might want to see if Tekonsha has a pre wired connector for the controller and the E-350.

Without knowing what wiring harness the instructions are referring to, there is no way to tell what is what.

You can guess that the connector is the same, and try that, but that would be asking for trouble, if you guess wrong.

Thats what they are showing on their website for our van.. I have a cable with that end on it but the colors still dont match. So I sent them a email asking why.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:50 AM
Any luck with E-350 wiring harness?

I have an E-350 as well and trying to install a 7 wire-plug and want to use as much of the original wiring as I can. I found the third plug from the right in your picture located just to the left of the spare tire. I can't seem to find any aftermarket connectors, and I am not sure it is the right one to tie into.

I bought this brake control adapter http://www.tekonsha.com/prodphoto/3034-P.jpg but can't seem to locate where it goes under the dash. Did you happen to purchase a controller with this ford plug on the end? Did you figure out where it goes?

Any info will help.

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by MNCamper
...<snip>....

I bought this brake control adapter http://www.tekonsha.com/prodphoto/3034-P.jpg but can't seem to locate where it goes under the dash. Did you happen to purchase a controller with this ford plug on the end? Did you figure out where it goes?
...<snip>....
You should have gotten a trailer tow adapter install direction packet ( about 7 pages ) with the truck.

Quick google site search of fleet.ford.com :

The Ford directions show the trailer brake controller pigtail connector as in the driver's side kick panel :

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q92.pdf

Old 03-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by MNCamper
I have an E-350 as well and trying to install a 7 wire-plug and want to use as much of the original wiring as I can. I found the third plug from the right in your picture located just to the left of the spare tire. I can't seem to find any aftermarket connectors, and I am not sure it is the right one to tie into.

Any info will help.

Thanks!
Hi MNCamper, just wondering if you've gotten this figured out yet? I'm in the same boat (2009 e-350 passenger van), but I bought mine used and it did not come with pigtail for the brake controller or the towing instruction booklet. Do you have the part number for the correct pigtail?

My local ford dealer was less than helpful, but did come up with a part number that may work for the rear 7-pin trailer plug and harness. I have the same connector on the back of my van (3rd from right in picture), and the dealership came up with part number 9C2Z-13A576-BB, although even they weren't sure if that's it. They could order it ($140!!!), but had no picture to help determine if that's it.

Does anyone know if there's an aftermarket harness that will plug into that? Either that or a part number for the male version of that connector so that I can make up my own custom harness and plug directly into the factory wiring. I've checked and all the fuses are relays are there for the brake controller, so I'd like to use as much factory wiring as possible. I'd also likely need a wiring diagram describing what each wire is so that I can splice something into it. I've got some of them figured out, but there's a couple that I'm confused about.

I apologize if it seems that I'm asking a lot, but this exercise is far more difficult than I expected it to be.

Thanks in advance....

Old 03-17-2010, 10:23 PM
No Luck Yet

smigi -

Thanks to the post from SSCULLY, I am fairly confident that a harness exists, but I was told basically the same thing, $140 with no guarantee. I plan to do some more checking before I commit. It's not an emergency yet, but will be come the first camping trip. I wonder if any conversion van companies would have a definitive answer on the correct harness?

I will repost if I have luck.

Quick Reply: 2009 E-350 trailer wiring harness