Fog lights ON turn the instrument cluster lights OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The position of the FL switch in Park and Head doesn't matter. I have a daylight setting Instrument Cluster in manual positions.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So you are saying with the fog lamp switch on or off, the instrument cluster is dark ?

Old 08-12-2009, 05:07 PM
That is correct.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:50 PM
SSCULLY I have a low beam HID kit and when my headlights are on with the fog lights my HIGH beam indicator on the inside is on. Can I just leave it this way? Will it hurt anything? What can I do to fix it.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by pmason718
SSCULLY I have a low beam HID kit and when my headlights are on with the fog lights my HIGH beam indicator on the inside is on. Can I just leave it this way? Will it hurt anything? What can I do to fix it.
Just do the fog lamp mod, you are using the high beam indicator on the instrument cluster to derive the ground on the fog lamp relay coil.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by HerkDriver
That is correct.
If that is the case, and all the fuses are good, I would go with changing the switch. The fact that the instrument cluster does not illuminate with the parking lamps or head lamps ( and the instrument cluster fuse is good ) tells me the switch is bad.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Just do the fog lamp mod, you are using the high beam indicator on the instrument cluster to derive the ground on the fog lamp relay coil.
Am I hurting anything?

Where can I find the Fog light mod?

Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 PM

Am I hurting anything?

Where can I find the Fog light mod?
You have a high resistance ground on the fog lamp coil.
Not the best thing to do in general, but the factory route does this through the high beam elements, which is much larger than the indicator lamp, so the high beams do not glow.

The fog lamp relay coil normally gets ground from the high beam element, which with a HID kit, the ability to do that is gone.

If you look at post #11 above, you can see where the fog lamp relay coil derives ground from the high beam element.
You are now getting ground from the Instrument cluster, and that is what causes the glow to the high beam indicator lamp in the cluster.

Here are the 2 method to change where the fog lamp relay coil gets ground from.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...aybe-04-a.html

http://www.landstromsfoundry.com/Tec...Foglights.html

I cannot say one way or the other how bad it would be to leave it, but Lyle's method is 2 crimp terminals, and some wire. Small price to pay to not have this happen.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:05 AM
So basically if I follow the steps on the landstromsfoundry.com site I should be ok. The reason I ask is b/c those are the instructions to make my Fog lights stay on with my High beams which I don't have. I take it that these steps also work on a 07. I'm thinking about just buying another HID kit that has high and low beam.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:49 AM

So basically if I follow the steps on the landstromsfoundry.com site I should be ok. The reason I ask is b/c those are the instructions to make my Fog lights stay on with my High beams which I don't have. I take it that these steps also work on a 07. I'm thinking about just buying another HID kit that has high and low beam.
Yes, those are the correct directions. The reason the fog lamps shut off with the high beams is power is applied to the side of the fog lamp relay coil, which opens the contacts and turns the fog lamps off.

Without a high beam element to derive ground from, the fog lamp relay coil is finding the next path ( with more resistance ) which is in the indicator lamp in the cluster.

I would suspect you will have to do this modification if you get a hi/lo HID kit, as the ballast might not have a path to ground, and still use the high beam indicator on the cluster.

The fog lamps are the same on the 04-08 MY trucks, '09 was the next change.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:49 PM
One last question. Which relay/fuse did they remove on that website. I didnt find the pics to be that helpful

Old 08-13-2009, 02:34 PM

One last question. Which relay/fuse did they remove on that website. I didnt find the pics to be that helpful
Fog lamp relay. Fuse box layout starts on page 275 in your owners manual.

From my thread on extending the wiring ( posted above )
In the Central Junction Box ( CJB ) the Fog Lamp Relay is 202, top row of 3 Relays with fuses in between, it is the center Relay.
]

Rotate this JPEG 90* clockwise to get the correct orientation to the truck's mounting

Last edited by SSCULLY; 08-13-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Thanks. From there I will bend and ground the outer pin and that's it. Dam I should have done this a long time ago. Do I really need to disconnect the battery.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:18 PM

Thanks. From there I will bend and ground the outer pin and that's it. Dam I should have done this a long time ago. Do I really need to disconnect the battery.
When I did for the write up of that thread, I didn't disco the battery.

I would guess that is standard disclaimer type stuff, if you don't and something happens, it is a case of you did not follow the directions completely ???

How often do you disconnect the battery to change a fuse ?

Old 08-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Scully I found the problem and was able to fix it. The culprit was a broken wire at a factory splitter located just behind the HL switch. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Fog lights ON turn the instrument cluster lights OFF?