Hi im new. Radio stays on with... ect ect

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi im new. Radio stays on with... ect ect

Hi everyone. I have the classic radio issue on my 04 f150 supercrew. Radio stays on, no dome light or door ajar with front doors (rear doors work as advertised)

Ive done the battery thing
Ive replaced the splice on driver side

Nothing to show for my efforts... kinda over it (any suggestions)

I can across some wires with what looks like resisters on them. So my 3 questions are.

1. Are they supposed to be disconnected?
2. Whats the part number of the resister (little black thing)?
3. Where can i buy them?

Thanks,
Tom

Attached Thumbnails Hi im new. Radio stays on with... ect ect-20161227_165116.jpg  
Old 12-28-2016, 12:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I take it you are not the 1st owner of the truck.

Those are diodes and the ones that are apart overheated and fell apart.

Also not a good job of insulating them, where the 4 taps have diodes into the single crimp, those bare wires have +VDC on them at some time. Same for the other ones, and these were in the door sill wiring channel like that ?
- Someone was relying on the insulation of the other wires to stop them from shorting to cab ground.

I would start by figuring out where the green wire goes to, and why the other circuits are spliced into it with diodes.

Next I would remove all those diodes and splice the wires back together as factory ( solder and heat shrink ) and start checking fuses with a meter while installed to see if you have a blown fuse somewhere.
- Hard to tell which circuit those are in the door sill, the wire colors can be repeated in there.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:23 AM
I'm the second owner. It didnt look factory. I cut into a taped up bundle and found them while chasing the infamous purple wire splice to fix the original radio issue (it didn't fix it).

Everything seems to function normally ( besides the aforementioned radio issue) with those two wires/diodes disconnected.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:39 AM
So after a lengthy drying out period im finally going to put everything bavk together but before i do i wanted to bump this one last time to see if anyone has insight into the diode splices? I have a few areas on the driver side that have the same splicing in it. No idea what it could be for but it doesn't look factory.