Adding cruise control

Old 06-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding cruise control

Npt sure if this is the right forum or not but I am just curious if its an outrageous idea to add factory cruise to my truck? I bought it rather stripped due to the awesome price but one thing I really do miss is the cruise control. Has anybody ever done this or have any idea what it might cost?

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2009, 04:41 PM
You can buy a complete kit from Ford as an accessory kit. It comes with every thing that you would need including the instructions. It would be cheaper ordering it online from places like Tasca Ford or any other online Ford dealer. Some guys on here have put the in and I dont think that it was very hard to do.LOL You can also search for info on this site. Iam sure there any some posts on the subject.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:48 PM
I have done this. I had the base XL. If you can't find an installer locally to do it, go online and look up 2009 F150 Cruise and you should find it (PM if not). The replacement steering wheel costs about $275, and even through most shops can install the wheel, it must be enabled by a dealer (or someone with the IDS tool). My total was about $400 total, but I am going to try to ebay the original wheel and maybe get back $75-100.

It is factory. Even the light on the dash turns on.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah buy the wheel or the buttons and take it to the dealer to have them program it

Old 06-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by bjp207
Yeah buy the wheel or the buttons and take it to the dealer to have them program it
Can't buy the buttons only for a 09. You have to buy a replacement wheel.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is your 2008 a XL ?

Some of the base models do not have all the wiring in the 04-08 series ( just like Ford did in the 97-03 series ), so it might require some additional wiring.

At the very least digitalamish is correct, you will need the dealer to turn it on in the VSM ( even some had to do this with the door keypad )

I think there were some steering wheels for sale in the classified forum, I don't recall what they are out of ( might be the same results as you, could be XLT to Lariat upgrades ).

Old 06-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Is your 2008 a XL ?

Some of the base models do not have all the wiring in the 04-08 series ( just like Ford did in the 97-03 series ), so it might require some additional wiring.

At the very least digitalamish is correct, you will need the dealer to turn it on in the VSM ( even some had to do this with the door keypad )

I think there were some steering wheels for sale in the classified forum, I don't recall what they are out of ( might be the same results as you, could be XLT to Lariat upgrades ).
Yes it is the 08 XL. Sounds like it might be more hassle than its really worth. I may be purchasing a daily driver soon so depending on what I get it may no longer be an issue.

Thanks for the input guys!!

Old 06-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by sean46
Yes it is the 08 XL. Sounds like it might be more hassle than its really worth. I may be purchasing a daily driver soon so depending on what I get it may no longer be an issue.

Thanks for the input guys!!
You should NOT need to change out the whole steering wheel. On your XL, those blank rectangles on each side of the steering wheel are covers for where the cruise control switches go. You keep the wheel and you do not even have to remove it to install the CC switches.

Switches are available as a kit from Ford, or from:

http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com...14/f1500407oem

Also on that page are the install instructions. It's about a 15 minute job that you can do yourself before taking it to the dealer.

I don't know what, if anything, is different in 2008, but my 2007 plain-Jane, fleet trim XL did have the wires for CC.

Last chore is to get it programmed. It's all of five minutes with the dealer IDS or FMP software. A kind service department might only charge you a basic diagnostic fee.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by sburn
You should NOT need to change out the whole steering wheel. On your XL, those blank rectangles on each side of the steering wheel are covers for where the cruise control switches go. You keep the wheel and you do not even have to remove it to install the CC switches.

Switches are available as a kit from Ford, or from:

http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com...14/f1500407oem

Also on that page are the install instructions. It's about a 15 minute job that you can do yourself before taking it to the dealer.

I don't know what, if anything, is different in 2008, but my 2007 plain-Jane, fleet trim XL did have the wires for CC.

Last chore is to get it programmed. It's all of five minutes with the dealer IDS or FMP software. A kind service department might only charge you a basic diagnostic fee.
Well, YOU DO have to remove the steering wheel. the covers and the buttons are bolted on from the backside. I have done this as the first mod when i got the truck home.

I suggest calling FORD in your local area as you can buy just the buttons. You don't need the whole wheel. Yes You DO have to get teh computer programmed and it took us 20 min for the whole thing for there was an computer update that the truck needed.

I got my buttons pretty inexpensive from Tousley FORD as he gives us Mustang guys 10% over cost plus shipping. So ask them for the Mustang guy!

Hope this helps, and i love my cruise now!

Old 06-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by spoiled
Well, YOU DO have to remove the steering wheel. the covers and the buttons are bolted on from the backside. I have done this as the first mod when i got the truck home.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I did this install on my 2007 and DID NOT have to remove the steering wheel. The 4 (2 on each switch) nuts that hold the CC switches can be reached from inside the the steering wheel where the air bag goes using a short (6mm?) open-end wrench turning about a 1/4 turn at at time. See the picture in the link I posted. Shows it done with the steering wheel attached.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Wow! So really all you have to do is add the buttons and have it reprogrammed? You dont have to do anything under the hood? If thats all it is I think I will look into doing this. This would make this truck so much more pleasureable to drive as my trip to work is mainly highway.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by sburn
We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I did this install on my 2007 and DID NOT have to remove the steering wheel. The 4 (2 on each switch) nuts that hold the CC switches can be reached from inside the the steering wheel where the air bag goes using a short (6mm?) open-end wrench turning about a 1/4 turn at at time. See the picture in the link I posted. Shows it done with the steering wheel attached.
I will concede that you can do it, but why not remove the wheel as it is a t50 IIRC and came off without a hitch.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by sean46
Wow! So really all you have to do is add the buttons and have it reprogrammed? You dont have to do anything under the hood? If thats all it is I think I will look into doing this. This would make this truck so much more pleasureable to drive as my trip to work is mainly highway.
Yes, that is all go to the website above for install instructions. You will have everything you need.

I just wiggled the steering wheel back and forth and it came off pretty easy since it was new.

The best thing I did since I too drive 40 miles on the hwy to work!

Old 06-30-2009, 11:44 PM
I missed the original poster had an '08. Yes, based on what I've seen, you just get the buttons, not the whole wheel. That is an '09 thing. I think you still need to be reprogrammed though. Check with www.thecruisecontrolshop.com. I am not associated with them, they just were very helpful in answering some questions.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:48 PM
http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com.../0014/f1502009

They have the kits for the 09 as well.

The 08's I got from the dealer was cheaper than their switches. Just throwing that out there as well. I think i paid 80 bucks shipped for my buttons

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding cruise control