F150 fuse panel in 2003 Expy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 fuse panel in 2003 Expy?

I'm wondering if an F150 fuse panel (I'm guessing 04-08) will fit/replace a 2003 Expedition fuse panel.

Reason I ask is the truck won't start. I had this problem before, with something buzzing in the fuse panel, and the truck wouldn't start. Before, replacing the PCM relay would fix the problem. Every 4-6 months, the sound would return, and the PCM relay would have the #5 prong would have melted plastic. I would just replace the relay, and the truck would start again.

I know what I was doing was a band-aid fix (always kept on putting it off), and it eventually caught up. Yesterday, I was driving, and the engine just shut off on me, with both the spedo and tach going to zero, the mileage being dashes, and the fuse panel started buzzing. It'd never buzzed while driving before, only when I was about to turn the key.

I tried replacing the PCM relay, but that didn't do anything. Now the buzzing seems to come from behind the fuse panel. It's still there even when all relays are out.

So, in short, I'm wondering if my panel is bad (maybe a short somewhere?), and if I can use an F150 panel? I'd use an 03+ panel, but I've never seen an 03+ Expedition at the junkyard, only one 04+ F150, and a bunch of older Navis, Expeditions, and F150s.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance if you can help

EDIT: The #5 prong is labeled as "PCM power relay, output". Is the PCM pulling too much current (is that possible?)

I'll keep looking to see what I can find...

EDIT2: So far this is what I have:

When I disconnect the white connector (that supplies the ground to the relay), the buzzing stops.

Last edited by ELVATO; 06-18-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Took apart the fuse box assembly. Found a couple things...

This is the back of the 5 prong of the PCM relay. Could I just resolder it?

Also, is it normal for there to be 176 ohms of resistance between the ground pin of the white connector (the one in the illustration above, 57 ground) and the ground for the PCM relay? When I measure the resistance between that pin, and others that use it, there is no resistance.

Updated the illustration above with the list of fuses that get power from the "PCM relay output" (aka prong 5, the burnt prong)

Last edited by ELVATO; 06-18-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Well, seems I found my problem. Should have googled a little more... :o

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...pedition-4x4-5

Looks like this was a common problem with the early build 03s (mine was built in 02-02, i think). Seems like I'm going to have to pay to get a revised box. ugh...

Quick Reply: F150 fuse panel in 2003 Expy?