Headlight issue after body lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight issue after body lift

OK. I have HID's in the heads and fogs. I had a 3" PA body lift put on my 2005. Heres the problem:

1. The horn doesnt work
2. When i put the light switch on auto, when it gets dark, the sidemarkers come on but the heads dont.
3. If I switch the headlights on the sidemarkers come on but no heads.
4. If I pull the switch out to engage the fogs the heads come on with the fogs and stay on.....
5. The horn would honk and the heads would flash if you locked the door via the remote.....not any more.
WTF is going on.......

Old 05-27-2009, 11:44 PM
wow that sounds really messed up. wish i could help, but i wouldn't think the hids are the problem

Old 05-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Dumb question time for me ( I have a quota of 2 per day ). These are not correlated to your numbering, just questions.

Q1. Did everything work correctly prior to the body life install ?

Q2. The HID headlamps, did you do the fog lamp modification so you do not need the factory ground through the high beam element ?

Q3. Have a volt / ohm meter, and time to check stuff ?

I am thinking a ground from the side fender ( pass side ) is not hooked up, but that is a SWAG at this point.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Dumb question time for me ( I have a quota of 2 per day ). These are not correlated to your numbering, just questions.

Q1. Did everything work correctly prior to the body life install ?

Q2. The HID headlamps, did you do the fog lamp modification so you do not need the factory ground through the high beam element ?

Q3. Have a volt / ohm meter, and time to check stuff ?

I am thinking a ground from the side fender ( pass side ) is not hooked up, but that is a SWAG at this point.
Q1. Yes
Q2. No
Q3. Not really but I'll have to make time.

Ground ?????? What ground????? SWAG? huh

Old 05-28-2009, 10:51 PM

Problem #1 Horn non operable

P1. Horn

P1.1.Check that Fuse F26 is good.
P1.2. Pull the horn relay out of the fuse panel. The pin # 85 in the socket is the ground from the horn switch on the steering wheel.
Pin #86 is + DC hot at all times. Put the meter on pins 85 & 86, with the setting to voltage. In normal state, you should seem no voltage. when you press the horn on the steering wheel, you should see > 12 V DC.
Pins are marked on the bottom of the relay, just line them up to get the pin numbers in the socket.

If you have ground switched to the horn relay, jumper the contacts noted above with wire, and check for power at the horn connector. This should be a yellow w/ light green wire and black. Use both wires in the horn connector, if you do not get > 12 V DC, then change the ground to one on the truck.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:56 PM

Problem #2 & #3 - Headlamps non operable

P3. Headlamp non operable in on or auto position

Check the fuse for the HID kit, to make sure it is good.

The power to the HID ballast, is this using one headlamp, or both ?

The guess about the ground, is there are bolts in the inner fender in the engine compartment that are used for quite a few of the things on the front of the truck. Might want to check both sides.

What is triggering the HID ballast ?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:59 PM

Problem #4 Fog lamps

4. If I pull the switch out to engage the fogs the heads come on with the fogs and stay on.....

If you turn the parking lamps on, and pull the fog switch out, the headlamps come on ?

Is there a high beam in the HID kit you have for the headlamps, if so what type ?

You could be igniting the headlamp ballast with the fog lamp relay, as the factory fog lamp relay uses the High beam element as the ground. This way when the high beams are on, the fog lamp relay looses ground, and turns them off.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:48 PM
OK. So, I checked all the fuses and they are all fine. If I turn on the parking lights and pull the **** out the parking lights stay on and the fogs come on....

Old 06-04-2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by sylentbutvylent
OK. So, I checked all the fuses and they are all fine. If I turn on the parking lights and pull the **** out the parking lights stay on and the fogs come on....
What about all the other checks ?

I only asked you to check on fuse, best to do this with a meter, and you go and check all of them ?

Old 06-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
What about all the other checks ?

I only asked you to check on fuse, best to do this with a meter, and you go and check all of them ?
No, I only checked the fuses for the headlights and the horn.

PROBLEM SOLVED:
The ground for the HID kit was bolted back to a painted surface......I moved the ground to the green ground bolt on the passenger side fender, by the battery.

I took out the passenger side headlight and noticed that the plastic plug going to the horn was cracked. The wires were torn out of it........spliced in a new plug from my ford dealer and its all better.

Quick Reply: Headlight issue after body lift