Truck won't start after changing front shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck won't start after changing front shocks

Ok, so haven't been here in some time but I need some help today. Last night was changing front driver's side shock on my 2011 F250 PSD. Right front wheel still on ground and needed to turn wheel to right to better access shock mount. Started truck and turned the wheel all the way to the right and took the key out thinking the wheel would lock and I could change the shock easier. But the wheel didn't lock and actually spun itself almost a full turn after I took the key out...I'm assuming because the right wheel was still on the ground providing resistance, but I think the wheel lock may have broken.

Finished the shock and went to start, but nothing. Everything is clicking and buzzing like normal but wouldn't turn over. Checked all fuses that seemed pertinent but none were bad. Wasn't able to check any relays. Gave up and was going to have it towed.

Son and I had to straighten the wheel so I could roll in down the driveway and the dang thing started after the wheel was straight! Thought it was a fluke and parked it. This morning did the same thing so I cranked the wheel to the right and it started again. Now at work and thought I better check again and I can't get it to start for anything. The steering wheel lock seems to be busted and now I'm thinking it could be something in the steering column, but this is a little above my pay grade.

Need to get home tonight and was hoping my description would be enough to make a for sure diagnosis. Otherwise its getting towed to the shop and I'd rather fix it myself if i can.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Old 10-26-2015, 01:07 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Just a thought, have you tried starting it with the transmission in Neutral?

- Jack

Old 10-26-2015, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Just a thought, have you tried starting it with the transmission in Neutral?

- Jack
Yes sir. I tried that just before posting. I'll try it again and report back if I have any luck.

Thanks for the quick response!

Old 10-26-2015, 01:23 PM
So went back out and tried starting in neutral again, but this time fiddled with the shifter while turning the key...nothing again. Ran it up into park and tried it again and it started! Last night and this morning I didn't mess at all with the shifter, just manually turned the wheel with the engine off. This is the first time moving the shifter worked and I didn't turn the wheel at all this last time.

Thoughts???

Old 10-26-2015, 03:54 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
My thoughts are fairly elementary, but it seems clear to me that a shock absorber has nothing to do with the starting circuit.

But, since it didn't start with the wheel turned to the lock, felt like the anti-theft steering lock might be interfering somehow with what we used to call the "Neutral Safety Switch" (it's got a new name now, but it's a switch that prevents starting unless you are not "in gear"). I think by moving the shifter around, you probably got the switch into the "start" position. Or, if wiring connections to the switch are not sound, you "jiggled" it enough to complete the circuit.

So, since it starts now, you might be good to go as long as you don't turn the wheel full over, but I think if it were me, I'd try more troubleshooting, either as a DIY project or by taking it to a mechanic that has the knowledge to do it.

Anyway, I'm delighted you got it going!

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 10-26-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Are you sure there was a mechanical lock in the column to begin with?

Old 10-27-2015, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
Are you sure there was a mechanical lock in the column to begin with?
I'm pretty sure it has/had one, but I've been wrong before.

Definately not a shock issue...was just giving a little background on what happened.

I haven't had any issues since yesterday afternoon so maybe this is over, but I'll take the above advice and look into this a bit more.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:56 AM
Are you sure your battery wasn't dead? I'd have it load tested... just because it lights up interior lights, doesn't mean it has enough juice to engage the starter!

Quick Reply: Truck won't start after changing front shocks