Intermittent Odometer - A Repair

Old 01-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for this thread!

My '99 had this problem the day I bought it four years ago this month. I found this thread soon after, but never bothered with it until today -- and that's only because I am selling it soon.

I had it all out in 15 minutes flat -- except that I couldn't figure out what held that pesky gear range indicator in. I probably spent a half hour trying to figure out the two tabs that hold it in place. I spent about five more minutes trying to reattach the indicator after the solder job. All in all, if not for that indicator, it would have been done in under 45 minutes total.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:17 AM
Shift indicator

Originally Posted by M4Madness
Thanks for this thread!

My '99 had this problem the day I bought it four years ago this month. I found this thread soon after, but never bothered with it until today -- and that's only because I am selling it soon.

I had it all out in 15 minutes flat -- except that I couldn't figure out what held that pesky gear range indicator in. I probably spent a half hour trying to figure out the two tabs that hold it in place. I spent about five more minutes trying to reattach the indicator after the solder job. All in all, if not for that indicator, it would have been done in under 45 minutes total.
LOL!!! Yeah, that shift position indicator is a pain... you're not sure how it's fastened in there, and you don't want to break the thing... it coulda been done better, Ford!

Old 03-25-2012, 03:58 PM
odometer repair

Just finished mine today in between raindrops. I was amazed that Ford decided to only use 2 different types of screws to hold this mess together instead of 17.....and of course, 1 or 2 being a size that I don't have in my toolbox. Real simple other than the soldering part. Whatever gene one must posess to solder, I don't have it! I fussed with it for about an hour before I got it to where I wanted it. Anyway, its all back together, the odometer and all idiot lights are working and no smoke coming out of the dash so thats a good sign. Instead of wrapping a towel around the steering column, I used blue painters tape so it would not dance around on me and also would afford maximum clearance. It comes right off again without leaving any residue. There was a few scuff marks on the tape when I was done so it was a good tip to cover it. Thanks for everybody's help. I never really noticed it before but the lens going over my gauges was filthy. The last owner must have been a smoker. Because the F-150 is "Built Ford Cheap", I wouldn't recommend cleaning it with any ammonia-based cleaners. I just used warm water and a little dish soap. I cant get over how different the gauges look now just cause I can see through the lens. Thanks again

Old 06-19-2012, 12:36 AM
hey guys i think that i fourn the problem withe the 04-08 insterment cluster, just got mine back working yesterday and will be posting a video on youtube on how to fix it so i hope it works for you it did for me.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by Steve591968
Geoff,

If you have any luck with your '06 let me know please let me know. I have an '05 and the design is a little different. It was easy to get the cluster out but after that I was lost.

Thanks,
Steve
i fixed mine on a 06 f150 and will make a youtube video on how to fix it if your intrested.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by Geoffw5omr
Hey gang. Frequent reader, recent (in few minutes ago - a n00b to the forums) member and owner of a 2006 F-150 with the same problem on the odometer flashing/quit working. Cracked solder joints, eh? Thanks, Greg! I'll be working on this, tomorrow.

-Geoff
(also) Houston
i fixed mine on a 06 f150 i can make a video if your interested.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:40 AM
Just did this, fixed the odometer and the non-operational overhead console display in my 2001 Supercrew 4x4. I had never soldered anything before...ever.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Great info Greg

I've had the same problem with my '99 F-150 for a few years. The only difference is mine seemed to be a bit more noticeable in cooler weather (I would say "cold weather" but I live in Fla). Sometimes a tap on the dash or a set & release of the parking brake gets it on but not always.
I'll definitely check this circut/ribbon as soon as I get the time.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Case of beer from MN! Thanks Greg! This has been bothering me for awhile in my 00 Expedition! I had been putting it off for awhile but I had a showing today and figured that would spook the potential buyer! Took me all of 45 minutes to do and works great

Old 09-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Instrument Cluster

While we are on instrument cluster failure. I have a 2005 F150 4x4 that is experiencing a different kind of cluster failure. My cluster will light up while driving and the gauges fall to 0, and all the lights on the cluster light up as well as the chime will sound like the door is ajar. This happens erratically while driving. The performance of the vehicle is not compromised. The gauges will come back up and the lights go out as well as the chime stops. The odometer is always blank. This happens every time I drive it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. $500.00 for a new cluster is not in the budget right now.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Cluster

Originally Posted by tractorman
While we are on instrument cluster failure. I have a 2005 F150 4x4 that is experiencing a different kind of cluster failure. My cluster will light up while driving and the gauges fall to 0, and all the lights on the cluster light up as well as the chime will sound like the door is ajar. This happens erratically while driving. The performance of the vehicle is not compromised. The gauges will come back up and the lights go out as well as the chime stops. The odometer is always blank. This happens every time I drive it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. $500.00 for a new cluster is not in the budget right now.
Sounds like a typical Ford ignition switch failure as seen on Fox bodied Mustangs. I am not familar with the truck switch but you might want to poke around in that area. Could be a loose wire.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:12 AM
I used this site and repaired my odometer in about two hours. The instructions were very good! I saved my self $400-$500. I do find that there are several different ways to remove the headlight switch, mine just popped out by prying it with a small screwdriver. Thank you very much for posting this info on-line. I'm sure Ford Motor Co. would love to close this down! THANKS! B.MacLellan, Nova Scotia, Canada

Last edited by Judiqueflyer; 10-17-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:23 PM
DRR
Smile 2005 Odometer Repair

My 2005 had the same problem as earlier models with the odometer randomly going out. At first it seemed to happen as the weather changed but apparently that was completely wrong. Very frustrating not knowing the current mileage, especially when I admit to being OCD when it comes to maintenance. I followed the instructions from srtech 777 (post #222) and disassembled the instrument panel. I was actually able to repair without cutting the hole in the side that srtech 777 did. Gently remove the clear cover from the front and you can actually lift up the black dash template and see the LCD module. You can squeeze the module slightly against the green board and actually feel it reconnect. Be very careful not to pry open the green board very far as you can damage gauge needles and be forced to get a new one from Ford. The odometer module is actually held in place by 2 plastic locking prongs and can be removed. I took mine out and cleaned the prongs and the fixed connection with dielectric contract cleaner. Once reassembled, it works like a charm. Thanks for everyone's help and hopefully what I have found will help someone else fix their problem.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:41 PM
Thanks Greg, mine has been getting worse, I knew this F150online would come to the rescue again. This place is miles better than the site I came from.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Odometer LCD

I have been experiencing the flickering odometer LCD on and off for years. I pull the cluster out and re-seat the odometer LCD and it usually goes away. This time I re-seated too hard and the LCD went away.

Question, has anyone found a place to but just the odometer LCD?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittent Odometer - A Repair