Intermittent Odometer - A Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whups. That sounds like it's an abbreviation for "error in mileage". That would be a fault in the circuitry, possibly even in the ECU. I'm going to assume you've checked all the connections to the ECU, instrument panel, and etc. You'd probably be best taking it to a dealer and having them check it out on their diagnostic machine.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Big Dollars Saved

I'm sure Greg has been thanked countless times for this fix but I would like to add one more. Being of limited automotive repair skills I still like to tinker with the F-150. This repair made me feel like I've finally won one over the repair shops. Also the fix on another post regarding A Blower Motor Resistor help me repair a faulty fan blower. Thanks again guys and gals. I can't wait till something else goes wrong with my truck so I can fix it!

Last edited by Readitago; 06-22-2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Didn't make sense
Old 06-24-2010, 11:50 PM
Thanks a bunch for this info. I very much appreciate your time and effort and thoughtfulness in sharing.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Did this repair yesterday.

It turned out to be EXACTLY as the instructions stated at the beginning of this thread.

Thanks so much for sharing the tips

Cheers

Last edited by wildcatt; 09-01-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Awesome post!!

Old 07-15-2010, 05:56 PM
New guy here. Great site , great info. Followed Greg's instructions then realized they were for older models. I have a '05 . Does anyone know how to fix the non-functioning odometer problem on this model ? I'm also not able to pull codes from the interface. Is this a related problem or something different altogether ? Anyone ?

Old 08-06-2010, 03:58 PM
UPDATE
When I did it the first time, I took it all apart & found out that I had the soldering iron at home & didn't want to drive it apart like that. So all I did was slightly bend the one pin that everyone says it the culprit and it worked... for a little while!!!
Just finished the repair for a second time(with the proper tools). By the feedback I see here, it should be fixed for GOOD!!!!!
Thanks Again for the GREAT Write-up!!!

Old 08-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks Greg
Directions couldn't have been any better or easier. I had the intermittent od display for 2 years and just tried to ignore it but it still bothered me. Dash now working fine after repair. Greg you are the man. Thanks again

Old 09-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Hey guys new to the board. I just got a 98 F-150 4.2L with standard trans. The instrument cluster has no rev. gauge and I would like to just replace the whole cluster with another stock unit that has one. Just wanted to know if I can do this, and or where I can find a stock instrument cluster with the rev. gauge in it.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Help!!

I did this and reinstalled. : Won't start now...

Originally Posted by temp1
The harnesses can be removed by pushing or pulling the retaining tabs. Also remove the bolt shown. There are 3 more bolts above the cluster and one to the right that need to be removed.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:19 AM
i have a 2009 with backlight working but not displaying mileage. I pulled the instrument/speedometer cluster trying to find the ding ding ding that drives me nuts when I leave my key in the ignition. When I put everything back together the display no longer reads the mileage. Can anybody help? Not even sure if I am posting this in the right place as a first timer. I am a tech and can fix most anything with a little help.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Exclamation Intermitent odometer

i BELIEVE I HAVE FOUND A FIX FOR YOU GUYS WHITH THE NEWER F 150 ODOMETER PROBLEMS![/B]. When you remove the speedometer cluster and you view it from the bottom (the narrow side that faces the floor when installed) on the right side where the digital readout is located. you can see through the white plastic via some slits in the white plastic a black "plug" that is mounted to the green board. There are six steel posts that come from the led readout screen and plug into that black plug on the green board. I, when trying to deal with another issue, unpluged those six posts from that black plug on the green board when I spread the board apart to look for another part This caused my led to not work. I believe those of you having intermittent problems are having those problems due to oxidation or poor contact where those six posts plug into the black plug. I had to cut a opening in the white plastic with my dremmel tool on order to push the steel posts in so that they line up with the plug. I had to remove the screws that hold that green board to the white plastic (in reality you cannot totally remove this board as the needles on the different gauges prevent you). This allows you to spread the green board away from the white plastic enough for those pins to unplug from the black plug on the green board. MY SUGGESTION FOR YOUR FIX. Get some DeoxIT from Radio Shack Part # 640-4338 and spray a little (a little dab will do ya) into that plug or on those pins and I believe your intermittent problem will go away. You may not even have to remove the steel posts from the plug to get the job done. try spraying some on it as it is and sepparate the green board away from the white plastic just a little (about 1/8 to 1/4") work the board away and back away and back thus pulling those steel pins out and in from the black plug. This should clean off and debris from all six of them. Hope this is more clear than mud and helps you out. BTW you may want to check the solder points on the back of the green board (six) where the black plug mounts to the green board.

Last edited by srtech_777; 10-08-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:21 AM
Works like a charm.. Thanks

Old 11-30-2010, 11:38 PM
MLD
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks to the O.P. for this fix.

My fluorescent odom. was blanking out one day over last summer, but nothing after.

I copied first 2 pages to my doc. on hard drive for future repair.

Before finding this I was thinking to my self : a $500 tab baby!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:15 AM
a great solution. I also have had a similar problem with abs light coming on. I found 4 cracked solder joints. They are really hard to see so I resoldered all of them. Been a couple of days and appears it has fixed the abs and the odometer issue.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Odometer - A Repair