Intermittent Odometer - A Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed Repair

Failed at this on my '06 F150.

I was able to remove the entire panel (instrument panel and circuit board together), and removed six screws in the back, but was not able to separate the board from the panel.

So I just analyzed the back of the board. The board did not match the images shown. I looked for fractured flux areas, but saw nothing to repair.

Then, I try too hard to separate them and accidentally broke two of the gauges (oil pressure and temp). Fractured the clear plastic stems. Now I need to repair both the board and the panel. So here are some questions:

1. How do I separate the from gauge assembly from the back board?
2. Can I glue those gauges back on?
3. Wonder if I can get a replacement panel and/or board from a wrecking yard?
4. I'm not seeing where to repair the flux? And do I need to add solder or just re-head the existing bead?

Thanks people. I'd appreciate your candid help. But no wise cracks about breaking the dang instruments.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Thumbs up Add me to the this list

This is a great site .I'm new here , so hi to everyone .Just a quick Thank-you for the step by step post on the odometer problem. I have a 2000 F150 ,and like many ,had this issue for a long time . Working geat now!!!

Old 03-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Well I fixed mine in about an hr. 12 hrs later, my oil guage drops then rises..wtf? fix one thing, and another busts...typical anyone know what happened?

Old 03-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Fixed the problem!!! Didn't bother with the magnifying glass; just soldered the terminal that was shown and bingo! Working like new!! I love this site!!

Bionik5668, your oil gauge drop all the way down then come back to normal after awhile? I know I had a problem with mine a couple years ago showing no oil pressure, then after a few minutes it would come back to normal. Ended up being the oil sending unit, about a $30 dollar part and 15 minutes worth of time if I remember correctly. I started a thread about this quite some time ago, in there it goes over location of the unit, etc. Hope this helps..

Old 04-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Just fixed my 2000 XLT! Thanks to Greg, who started this thread, and to all who contributed information and pics.
I had a moments trouble, like some others, removing my headlight switch until I determined mine was the "pry" type. I fashoned a 'j-hook' out of a bicycle spoke, put it into the slot at the bottom of the light switch and it popped right out. No way to damage finish on the dash this way, either.
There was an unused harness connector behind my light switch. In the pic below it's the one on the right with a red cap. Does anybody know what it does?

Old 06-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Uh-oh! Same issue here!

I recently bought a 2006 F-150 from a local Ford dealer. It was on sale for under $10,000 and I thought it'd make a great 2nd. vehicle. So far, it has, except I quickly ran into the flickering odometer issue myself. I only had a 30 day warranty from the dealer, and didn't have time to take it over there before that opportunity closed on me. And over the last month, it's gotten MUCH worse, to where I usually just see the odometer/trip odometer displaying nothing for an entire trip. (The green backlighting stays lit just fine... it's the LCD digits that flicker and disappear.)

With all the people having this problem, WHY isn't Ford considering it a recall item??

But anyway, all the documents I read online about repairing this yourself refer to F-150's of model years of 2003 and earlier. Sounds like the '06 has a totally different design to the instrument panel. Has anyone successfully fixed an '06 yet??

Originally Posted by WinePosse
Failed at this on my '06 F150.

I was able to remove the entire panel (instrument panel and circuit board together), and removed six screws in the back, but was not able to separate the board from the panel.

So I just analyzed the back of the board. The board did not match the images shown. I looked for fractured flux areas, but saw nothing to repair.

Then, I try too hard to separate them and accidentally broke two of the gauges (oil pressure and temp). Fractured the clear plastic stems. Now I need to repair both the board and the panel. So here are some questions:

1. How do I separate the from gauge assembly from the back board?
2. Can I glue those gauges back on?
3. Wonder if I can get a replacement panel and/or board from a wrecking yard?
4. I'm not seeing where to repair the flux? And do I need to add solder or just re-head the existing bead?

Thanks people. I'd appreciate your candid help. But no wise cracks about breaking the dang instruments.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:59 PM
I know the above repair deals with the LCD odometers, but can it be used for the mechanical odometers? First, the trip odometer stopped working, and then about a month later the odometer itself stopped. My speedo, tach and other instruments work fine. I called the dealer and they want almost $400 for the instrument cluster. I've pulled the dash before and I seem to remember the ribbon cables being attached at the referenced places.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Just adding myself to the list of people that have successfully performed this repair. Thanks again!

Old 08-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Update: After having it flicker on and off for several months it went out completly. Hasn't worked in probably 6 months. I only have 33k on my truck. I'm having the same flickering issue on my 2005 XLT. Sometimes it stays off for a couple days.

Last edited by 05xlt5.4; 10-23-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Just did the fix on my 2000 F150 ... worked great. BTW, the local dealer quoted me $550.00 Cdn (parts only) for the instrument cluster and circuit board. Thanks everyone for your help! Colin from Canada!

Old 08-11-2009, 03:56 PM
This is GREAT! I have been dealing with this for at least a year.

I had a few people look at me and ask were is your milage at?
I would tap on the cluster and it would pop back up, there you go.
Always got funny looks.

BIG THANKS!

Old 08-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks Greg and everyone else who posted about the repair. I think while I'm that far along I'm going to replace all the bulbs for the gauge cluster. My luck will be one of the lights won't work after its all back together.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 PM
WOW.... So that's what it looks like!!!! What a GREAT forum!!!! Thank you so much!!!!
I have a 99 Lariat I bought new & the odometer problem has been bugging me for at least 6+years. I knew it would cost major bucks to fix so I let it go. (Didn't really want to see the mileage going up anyway) How foolish of me.
It was a easy fix!!! (About 2 hours with breaks.) Instructions are dead on. I also fixed my gear pointer & rubber boot while i was in there. I can't wait to read more posts and start fixing the old girl up after years of neglect.
Best Wishes,
Tom

Last edited by hogger9; 08-24-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Why Not!!
Old 08-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Post Intermittent Odometer

Thanks Gregg for the excellent advice on repairing the odometer problem. You did an excellent job of detailing the fix with good photos. I had a crack on the same pin you show plus two others in the row. She seems to be working well now. Thanks Again ................. Souptup

Old 09-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Am I glad I decided to GOOGLE the problem. Sounds like something I can tackle. I have had the problems for years, progressively getting worse. Thanks for details. Let you know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Odometer - A Repair