2004 Lariat BOTH Power Mirrors Not Adjusting

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Lariat BOTH Power Mirrors Not Adjusting

Hoping I can get any sort of help here. I just purchased a 2004 F150 (new body style, if it matters) and noticed today that either power side mirrors are adjusting in "any" direction. I took the control switch apart and it appeared to be in good condition (no corrosion)... Called local for dealership and he said could be a possible wire corrosion further in. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks Again

Old 04-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is that the only problem ? Door locks and power mirrors windows work fine ?

Did you check the fuse for them ?

Last edited by SSCULLY; 04-02-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Everything else works great (all power windows/locks heated and power seats)...I checked the 5amp fuse and that wasn't blow either...
I wouldn't think that both motors would be shot, but maybe that's a possibility?

Last edited by b3ross; 04-02-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Everything else works great (all power windows/locks heated and power seats)...I checked the 5amp fuse and that wasn't blow either...
I wouldn't think that both motors would be shot, but maybe that's a possibility?

Old 04-02-2009, 06:42 PM

Time to test the switch.

If the switch tests good,

Next is to use +12 and test from the power mirror switch connector to the mirrors.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:06 PM
SSCULLY
First off, Thank you very much for your help so far. It is greatly appreciated. The schematics are great.

I have access to a current tester, but I'm fairly inexperienced in the electrical department.

I understand I'll be doing 2 separate tests if the actual "power-mirror control switch" tests good. If there is any way possible you could walk me threw exactly what I'll be doing, I'd greatly appreciate it.

What exactly did you mean by "Next is to use +12 and test from the power mirror switch connector to the mirrors." ? +12?

Old 04-02-2009, 10:55 PM

By Current tester, are you talking about a VOM ( Volt Ohm Meter ) or DVM ( Digital Volt meter ) ?

There are current only clamp meters, which are not going to do much good for you here.

If you have a VOM or DVM, turn it to the resistance or Ohm setting.

Turn the **** to the left, and put the red probe on pin 1 and the black probe on pin #6. Press the switch in the direction for up movement of the mirror ( watch you orientation of the switch, I went nut with one once, until I realized I was hold the switch upside down ( where is that knuckle head emoticon at again ? ).

Then move on to the next set of pins ( BTW you will be checking 12 sets of pins for each direction, on each mirror ).

Hope that helps.

The line :
Next is to use +12 and test from the power mirror switch connector to the mirrors.

Time to use pos and ground to the truck's harness if the switch tests OK, to check the mirror itself. This is applying power to the sets needed to make the mirror work.

Hope that helps.

Let us know.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:49 AM
SSCULLY-

Thanks again for the quick reply! Haha i know exactly what your talking about looking for the knuckle head emotion, i could probably fill this whole page up with them!

I went to the local ford dealership and they let me test the Power Mirror control switch with a new one, and that's not the issue. I figured out that the "male-end" of the harness connector is not getting any power to it? So I'm thinking its gotta be a wire or fuse issue. Is there any other fuses you could think of that control the power mirrors besides the 5Amp fuse on the passenger side box. A service guy mentioned he thought there could be one underneath the hood that controls that module as well?
Thanks Again!!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:16 AM

There are only 2 fuses with the power mirrors.

F4 is the power fold option ( KR only in 2004 ) and F3 is the mirrors.

Pull the switch out, and with the power mirror switch connector ( truck side harness ) check pins # 1 ( Orange w/ light green stripe wire - power from F3 ) and pin #3 ( Black - ground ) for power.

If that is good, next we will be testing from the power mirror connector to the connector on the mirror head, but start with is power making it to the switch.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Ok I just checked....Still not getting any power from the trucks harness...Checked Pins 1 and 3....No Power

Old 04-03-2009, 10:37 AM

Meter both sides of the Fuse F3 in the fuse panel. There is a ground to the right, and down from the fuse panel, you will see a few ground straps on it already.

Make sure you are testing fuse #3 ( check the diagram, and correct the orientation of the drawing to the truck )

Old 04-03-2009, 11:14 AM
I just checked Fuse 3....It is getting power there... I also pulled it and tryed using the power adjustable pedals (I believe those run of the same fuse) and they stopped working when the fuse was pulled....
The lower ground to the right of the fuse panel, am I just ensuring theres one there and they are properly secured?

Old 04-03-2009, 11:48 AM

If you are getting power on both sides of the fuse, time to check for power the connector on the A-pillar ( if you have one ).

I am guessing now that you have a broken wire in the loom from the A-pillar to the door panel.

Do you have the big gray connector on the A-pillar ?

If so, un hook it, and pull back the rubber boot, and look for the orange w/ light green stripe wire in the loom. Once you find it, run your hand over the entire length of the wire.

Another member did a nice post on locating and fixing the wire.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...door-wire.html

It is just easier if you have the gray connector on the A-pillar, if you do not, you will just be doing all this work in the confines of the door hing area.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by b3ross
....<snip>.....The lower ground to the right of the fuse panel, am I just ensuring theres one there and they are properly secured?
This was for you to use your meter with, for testing for power on both sides of the fuse.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Ok I understand..... I hope this hasn't been wasting your time or mine, but what I have been using is one of those current testers that looks like a screw driver (light inside) and you clamp the wire to a ground.... I've tested everything else with it and it's worked fine ??..... I'm about to go out and look to see if I have the A arm and pull the wires apart in tv frame.... Should I be using a different current tester?

Quick Reply: 2004 Lariat BOTH Power Mirrors Not Adjusting