Fog lights wiring?...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fog lights wiring?...

So I have a 2001 F150 2WD. I have already gotten a 4WD lower valance w fogs and w/o tow hooks. I did notice this evening that thre truck has already been wired up for fog lights, with plug and everything.

Question for you guys is, is the wire(s) needed to be connected into the dash switch already in the dash, just needing to be fished out, and plugged into a new switch with fog lamp capability?

Thanks for the info.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
with th e XLT it should be. Get the fog lamp switch for your MY truck ( 1999 won't work ) and add in the fog lamp fuses ad the fog lamp relay.

With others there has been a high success rate with teh XLT trim level, the XL trim level were missing wires.

factory wiring
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...028-152065.jpg

fog lamp mod wiring
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...028-177878.jpg

Old 11-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2007 XLT SCrew that didn't come equiped with fog lamps. I've looked for any wires under the hood down by the bumper that might be for foglamps, but didn't find any. Chiltons nor Haynes has a manual out for this year model so I don't have a wiring diagram for it. I didn't want to pay a fortune for the Ford manual so I guess I'll have to wait till Chiltons or Haynes comes out with one. I have driving lamps wired up using a remote made by Eagle Eye. It works great except I want it to be wired original and also use a factory switch.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:24 PM

Watch the MY on the posts, the info above is for a 2001, not the '04 + MY trucks.

From what I have seen ( and where manufactured with the 04+ MY trucks is important to the question as well ) is that the wiring is not in the truck, for the majority of the modifications.
One recent thread, the fog lamp connectors were wired to the fuse box in the cab, and if the fog lamp relay was by passed, they would work ( wiring fuse box to front of truck OK ), but the wiring from the main headlamp switch to the fuse box seemed to be missing ( I only read part of the thread, and lost the tracking on where it went ).

If you do not have the fog lamp connectors taped against the harness behind the bumper, then chances of any other part being there are just about 0%.

Wiring diagram from the 2005 EVTM

Last edited by SSCULLY; 01-10-2009 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Edit MY for diagram, it was noted as 2006, when it was a 2005
Old 01-09-2009, 10:45 PM
I checked the fuse and relay block and found that the fuse and relay for the foglamps are there but the wiring in front is not there. Is it possible that all I need is the wire harness in front and if so, where does it connect into? I would still need to get a new headlamp switch for factory fogs.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by DJ2007
I checked the fuse and relay block and found that the fuse and relay for the foglamps are there but the wiring in front is not there. Is it possible that all I need is the wire harness in front and if so, where does it connect into? I would still need to get a new headlamp switch for factory fogs.
It is not that easy, and this is only half of what might be missing.

The wiring from the fuse box to the switch is the other part members find missing, when they do have the connectors behind the bumper.

You would be best off adding the wiring for the fog lamps ( bulb connectors, relay, etc ) , complete to the cab, and if you want use the factory switch to turn them on and off, if you want it to look factory.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
It is not that easy, and this is only half of what might be missing.

The wiring from the fuse box to the switch is the other part members find missing, when they do have the connectors behind the bumper.

You would be best off adding the wiring for the fog lamps ( bulb connectors, relay, etc ) , complete to the cab, and if you want use the factory switch to turn them on and off, if you want it to look factory.
My question is, would the factory headlamp wiring where it attaches to the switch have the foglamp wiring there to tap into? According to all the wiring diagrams I've seen, the wire is in the harness. I could just tap into that and have my own wiring harness and relay.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:00 PM

If you want to check, to see what you might need, pull the main headlamp switch.

The diagram above is 2005, so there might be a slight change to 2007 ( this is 2006 diagram ).

The 2150A connector ( black 10 pin ) on the main headlamp switch, the fog lamps use:

pin 10, power from fuse F6, 15 A ( parking lamps, instrument panel ) Tan w/ white stripe

Pin 7 to light the fog lamp switch ( turns off the fog lamp indicator when the high beams are on ). This is the yellow fog lamp icon, not the green one on the switch. Light green w/ black stripe

pin 9 output to the fog lamp relay. white w/ black stripe.

The factory wiring :
pin 10 should already be on the switch.

pin 7 may or may not be there, needs to be checked.

pin 9 may or may not be there, needs to be checked.

If all the pins are there, you should just need to use pin 9 to the additional fog lamp relay that you would need to wire up. This would be cutting the wire to pin 9 from the truck's harness, and wiring it to your relay wiring.

Obviously, this would be after switching the main headlamp switch to the type for use with fog lamps.

online parts places,
2007 Ford F150 Mechanical Catalog -> Electrical -> Chassis Electrical -> Switches -> Headlamp switch ->
Choose from the listing if you have autolamps or not, and choose the one w/fog
- Headlamp switch, f150, mark lt, w/o auto lamps, w/fog MSRP 133.22, online sample 65.94 + S/H
- Headlamp switch, f150, mark lt, w/auto lamps, w/fog lamps MSRP 90.13, online sample 44.62 + S/H

To make the fog lamp indicator lamp light when the fog lamps are on, you would need to ground pin 7. Again this is the yellow fog lamp icon, not the green one on the switch.

If you don't have the pins, any '04+ MY truck connector from a bone yard you would be able to get the pins for the 2150A connector.

Figure a bit of checking prior to purchasing the switch, to find you also need the pins, so you can get everything pulled together for the install at one time.

Hope this helps

-steve

Old 01-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks for all the info. This will help a lot. I've looked up from under the dash and saw the clips that hold the switch in place. Is it easy to pop out the switch? I've tried to pop it out using my hands but couldn't get it to budge. Could I use a putty knive to pry it out or is there a special tool to remove it?

Thanks again!!

Old 01-10-2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by DJ2007
Thanks for all the info. This will help a lot. I've looked up from under the dash and saw the clips that hold the switch in place. Is it easy to pop out the switch? I've tried to pop it out using my hands but couldn't get it to budge. Could I use a putty knive to pry it out or is there a special tool to remove it?

Thanks again!!
Sorry, don't know how the switch comes out, have not done it myself. maybe a search in this forum, and the 2004-2008 forum for some pointers ?

Old 01-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks again. I'll look in the 2004-2008 forum for additional info.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey derek check out my thread where I tried to use the factory harness on my truck, but like mentioned about my xl didnt have all the wires, but the thread tell you everything you need to do to do it.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...foglights.html

P.S. I have a brand new switch w/ the fog option that I dont need....

Quick Reply: Fog lights wiring?...