Why does my radio fuse keep blowing?

Old 09-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does my radio fuse keep blowing?

I recently bought a 1997 Ford F150 Flareside 4x4 and as soon as I turn the key on it blows the radio fuse. It is a factory radio and even when I took it completely out it still blows the fuse no matter what size fuse I use. I also tried a different radio and it sill does the same. Everything else seems to be working fine except the radio. I did notice that the radio fuse is also shared with the keyless entry/ anti-theft circuit, however the keyless entry still works fine. Any suggestions?????

Old 09-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
according to the manual here:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp (page 137)
the reason everything else works while your radio doesnt is because they have a alternate power supply.

radio runs of of fuse 8 only,
RKE runs of fuses 4 and 8,
and the GEM/CTM run off of fuses 6, 8, 15, and 20

You just bought the truck and it may have a factory radio in it now but its possible that the previous owner had a aftermarket in it and swapped it out. in doing this they may have mixed up wires (if they hardwired it instead of using an aftermarket harness.) check all the wiring as far back as you can go and look for a wire that may be nicked, cracked, or cut (most likely the power wire) and is shorting out on the chassis.

good luck.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
It would be more accurate to say that the other devices have multiple power supplies for multiple sub-sections, not that they have "alternate" power sources.

The 97's radio uses two fuses, PBD (under hood) F6 & CJB (under dash) F8. Unfortunately, you failed to give full details as to which fuse is the one blowing.

Ste"e

Last edited by projectSHO89; 09-29-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:50 AM
The fuse under the hood is fine....it's the one under the dash. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:18 AM
I would say you either have a short to ground in the Black wire with a Pink stripe or a bad keyless entry/ anti-theft module.
Try unplugging the plug (the one that has the Black wire with a Pink stripe in it) at the keyless entry/ anti-theft module plug and see if it still blows.

If does not blow then you have a bad keyless entry/ anti-theft module.
If it blows then you will have to either run a new wire to the radio cuting off the Black wire with a Pink stripe wire at each end of the wire. or pull the wiring all apart.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
CJB F8 also supplies the illumination circuit of the main light switch in addition to the RAP module and the radio.

Check the black/pink wire there also.

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why does my radio fuse keep blowing?