Need new keys for 2000 F150 XLT

Old 09-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need new keys for 2000 F150 XLT

I recently bought a used 2000 F-150 XLT, extended cab 4x4, 4.6L. It only came with one key and one key fob. The key is black plastic with Ford set into the plastic (embossed?). Does this model use the fancy programmable keys that I can only get at the dealer, or can I just go to the auto parts store and have a regular old spare key cut?

Thanks.

reakin

Old 09-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Drive to the dealer and bend over. It's the easiest way to get keys.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
If you're cheap and don't particularly care about the PATS system, cut several basic keys off your PATS key, then fasten the original key next to the cylinder (inside the shroud) so that it gets read. Then, just use the basic key for everything. As long as no one knows about the "bypass" and it remains out of site, it presents only a very small risk.

As for the remote, you can usually get replacements from ebay for a reasonable price.

Steve

Old 09-12-2008, 11:39 AM
If your key has a S stamped in it it is a PATS key. You can buy them off e-bay for about $15 or so. You will need to get it programed along with the first key to your truck. Some locksmiths can and will do it for much less than the dealerships. If you do buy a replacement go ahead and buy 3 of them. Get one programmed and then you can program the others yourself as it takes two keys to program a third.
If you want to add a key....

**You must have two original keys to perform this procedure. If you only have one key, you WILL have to take it to the dealer to get it programmed**
1. Insert and existing (working) key into the ignition cylinder.
2. Turn the ignition cylinder ON (RUN NOT START) and back to OFF. Ignition should stay on for at least ONE SECOND.
3. Remove the existing key and, within TEN seconds, insert a second working key and turn it to ON (RUN) and the back OFF. Ignition must be in ON for at least ONE second, but no more than TEN seconds. Remove the key.
4. Insert the new key before TWENTY seconds have elapsed and turn it to ON (RUN). Leave it the ON position for at least ONE second and turn back to OFF.
5. The security light will light up for THREE seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully programmed.
6. To program additional keys, repeat steps 1 through 5

Old 09-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
For the most part, the reason for a second key is that we might have locked our keys in the truck (not me) In that case, just have a non PATS key made that fits the door lock and use the hide a key box to secure it under the truck. That way you can open your door but not use it to start the truck.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
For the most part, the reason for a second key is that we might have locked our keys in the truck (not me) In that case, just have a non PATS key made that fits the door lock and use the hide a key box to secure it under the truck. That way you can open your door but not use it to start the truck
I had a non-PATS key hidden in the back of my truck. One day I get a call from the wife "... the truck won't start ..." I grab some tools and head down to see what's wrong. When I get there, she's gone (in the store 'cause it's cold), so I grab my key and the truck starts right up. When she comes out, I ask what key she's using ... she holds up the non-PATS key. I've explained numerous times the difference in the keys, she just couldn't seem to find her regular key in that cavernous purse she carries.

Women ... what are you going to do ...?

Old 09-15-2008, 07:36 AM
When did Ford standardize on this PATS key? I had a 1998 F-150 and I don't remember it being as issue.

reakin

Old 09-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by reakin
When did Ford standardize on this PATS key? I had a 1998 F-150 and I don't remember it being as issue.

reakin
When they went to the digital odometer. That was the inclusion of the HEC, which is where the PATS info is stored.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Well, looks like I'm headed to the closest Ford dealer one of these days to get some keys. The good news, is the dealer I bought it used from (Dodge dealer) told me to send him the bill for the new keys. Now I just need to find the time.

reakin

Old 09-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Well, $60 later and I have my new key. Now I just need to fax the bill off to the dealership that I bought the truck used from so they can reimburse me.

reakin

Old 09-28-2008, 09:36 PM
wow $60 is cheap! Here its over $100

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need new keys for 2000 F150 XLT