Go Back   F150online Forums > Body > Electrical Systems
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Electrical Systems SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 09-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150
Need new keys for 2000 F150 XLT

I recently bought a used 2000 F-150 XLT, extended cab 4x4, 4.6L. It only came with one key and one key fob. The key is black plastic with Ford set into the plastic (embossed?). Does this model use the fancy programmable keys that I can only get at the dealer, or can I just go to the auto parts store and have a regular old spare key cut?

Thanks.

reakin
Old 09-11-2008, 01:40 PM
2000 Ford F-250

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-250 7.3
Drive to the dealer and bend over. It's the easiest way to get keys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockPick View Post
Having fun as a kid is one thing... being an absolute toolbox is another. You're the latter of that comparison.
In Hoc Signo Vinces
Old 09-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F250 6.8
If you're cheap and don't particularly care about the PATS system, cut several basic keys off your PATS key, then fasten the original key next to the cylinder (inside the shroud) so that it gets read. Then, just use the basic key for everything. As long as no one knows about the "bypass" and it remains out of site, it presents only a very small risk.

As for the remote, you can usually get replacements from ebay for a reasonable price.

Steve
1995 Mustang GT Convertible, only 68K miles.
1998 Ford Contour Wifey's old daily driver, now mine.
2001 F250 SD, 6.8L, 4 X4.
2007 Mercury Mariner AWD - Wifey's new daily driver
Old 09-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2008 Ford F-150
If your key has a S stamped in it it is a PATS key. You can buy them off e-bay for about $15 or so. You will need to get it programed along with the first key to your truck. Some locksmiths can and will do it for much less than the dealerships. If you do buy a replacement go ahead and buy 3 of them. Get one programmed and then you can program the others yourself as it takes two keys to program a third.
If you want to add a key....

**You must have two original keys to perform this procedure. If you only have one key, you WILL have to take it to the dealer to get it programmed**
1. Insert and existing (working) key into the ignition cylinder.
2. Turn the ignition cylinder ON (RUN NOT START) and back to OFF. Ignition should stay on for at least ONE SECOND.
3. Remove the existing key and, within TEN seconds, insert a second working key and turn it to ON (RUN) and the back OFF. Ignition must be in ON for at least ONE second, but no more than TEN seconds. Remove the key.
4. Insert the new key before TWENTY seconds have elapsed and turn it to ON (RUN). Leave it the ON position for at least ONE second and turn back to OFF.
5. The security light will light up for THREE seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully programmed.
6. To program additional keys, repeat steps 1 through 5
Old 09-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F150 4x4
For the most part, the reason for a second key is that we might have locked our keys in the truck (not me) In that case, just have a non PATS key made that fits the door lock and use the hide a key box to secure it under the truck. That way you can open your door but not use it to start the truck.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor
1999 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 1999 F150 4X4
Quote:
For the most part, the reason for a second key is that we might have locked our keys in the truck (not me) In that case, just have a non PATS key made that fits the door lock and use the hide a key box to secure it under the truck. That way you can open your door but not use it to start the truck
I had a non-PATS key hidden in the back of my truck. One day I get a call from the wife "... the truck won't start ..." I grab some tools and head down to see what's wrong. When I get there, she's gone (in the store 'cause it's cold), so I grab my key and the truck starts right up. When she comes out, I ask what key she's using ... she holds up the non-PATS key. I've explained numerous times the difference in the keys, she just couldn't seem to find her regular key in that cavernous purse she carries.

Women ... what are you going to do ...?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Garage is empty, add now

When did Ford standardize on this PATS key? I had a 1998 F-150 and I don't remember it being as issue.

reakin
Old 09-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor
2006 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2006 FORD F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by reakin View Post
When did Ford standardize on this PATS key? I had a 1998 F-150 and I don't remember it being as issue.

reakin
When they went to the digital odometer. That was the inclusion of the HEC, which is where the PATS info is stored.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Well, looks like I'm headed to the closest Ford dealer one of these days to get some keys. The good news, is the dealer I bought it used from (Dodge dealer) told me to send him the bill for the new keys. Now I just need to find the time.

reakin
Old 09-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Well, $60 later and I have my new key. Now I just need to fax the bill off to the dealership that I bought the truck used from so they can reimburse me.

reakin
Old 09-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2008 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via MSN to Drail's FX2 Send a message via Yahoo to Drail's FX2
wow $60 is cheap! Here its over $100
Old 09-28-2008, 09:36 PM