Amber rear light conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amber rear light conversion

Im based in the UK where the law stipulates i cant have brake lights that are also indicators
I have driven around for 4 years with no bother like this untill a local plod pulled me over to have a word and press the law upon me!
I need an american superspark who can advise how to stop my brake lights from flashing and running auxillary amber indicators
I have inserted amber led strips into my reversing lights with the wires dangling out but how the hell do I wire this into the truck and stop my brakes from flashing?
My head hurts
I have wire snips
I have scotch blocks
I have the will
I dont have the know how and it appears no one over here does too

Old 02-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A member here from Denmark just did this ( prastholm )

He placed yellow bulbs in the reverse lamp location, and used a 2 to 3 way taillight converter from Drawtite.

He added a auxiliary reverse lamps below the bumper, and ran the stock wiring to that from the reverse lamps that were in the factory tail lamp housing. Just watch that you do not go too high on the wattage of aux lamps ( keep within the factory 52 watts total, or 26 W each, 2.1 A each bulb ).

This is what I suggested to him :

http://www.drawtite.com/dt18158.html

This is how it would be wired.

Only issue you have is finding a distribute for Drawtite in the Isles or in the EU.

Hope this helps with your case, and if you find a good Solicitor to help with your ticket, others might be keen to know their name.
Only Solicitors in the UK I know of are specific to Motorcycles.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Get the brake minus the blinker signal from the 3rd brake light harness
Get the blinker minus the brake signal from the front corner light harness on each side.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Seems simple but....

Does the F150 have a 'special sensitive box of voodoo' that the Mustang has to control lighting ect (special junction box thingymajig) that will go pop and boom at the sight of any type of modifications to wiring/lighting?
If it does will the above box affect it?
If it does not is there a simple way to wire this modification without buying the 3 into 2 box? Can i not pop to my local electronics shop and buy a load o diodes and other electrical gubbins to do what the box does? any one have a wiring diagram of whats in the 3 into 2 box?
Im having a hard time finding a box in the UK and no one in the US that ive tried wants to ship to the UK at present???
The reason I ask is you get 14 days to show your car is legal to the Police so time is running short

If i take the brakes from the centre and the signals from the sides wont the indicators think a buldb has gone in the rear that is now not in use and cause it to repeat very quick? if it does how would i get round this?

Last edited by Grandthroblord; 02-24-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Use relays or transistors in your new harness, to prevent pulling over amperage from the circuit. Transistors preferred in this case, since its not just on/off, its a flash signal of many on/offs, which would quickly burn up a relay.

and leave the original rear bulbs in the holders, just hang them behind the light fixture.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Not too keen on leaving bulbs dangling behind the fixtures!
Rather a more 'factory' type solution if possible
Thanks anyhows

Old 02-26-2009, 01:08 PM
you could always get a receiver mounted light set up to activate when in reverse..... or you could get an LED light bar for below the tailgate...... would that be legal enough over there?

Quick Reply: Amber rear light conversion