Wiring up some Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring up some Fog Lights

Hi

I got some fog lights for Christmas and was wondering how I would wire them into my truck so they come on with the truck? Would I just splice them into the headlight harness?

Thanks
Jeff

Old 01-02-2008, 01:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Please do not connect them directly into the headlamp or parking lamp circuits.

An example of how to have the aux lamps come on with the parking lamps :

There are a few other options for turning them on and off, depends on what function you are looking for them to have, but this is a good starting point

Old 01-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Ok that helps. What type of relay should I get?

And just to claify the diagram.

I take power from the battery and run it into one side of the relay and then to the lights and then take the other side of the relay and run it to the light switch?

Old 01-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I also got a set of fog lights for christmas im hooking mine up to a switch and was wondering where the best place to run the wire into the cab was

Old 01-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cowboy_26
I also got a set of fog lights for christmas im hooking mine up to a switch and was wondering where the best place to run the wire into the cab was
Driver's side firewall is the easiest but un handy since the fuse box is on the other side.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Ok I have another question. What if I wanted the fog lights to come on as soon as the truck started and wanted them on all the time during day and night driving. Is there something I could tap into using a relay. Would the fuse panel be a good spot or does that have constant power all the time?

So to be such a bother.
Jeff

Old 01-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff2005F150
Ok I have another question. What if I wanted the fog lights to come on as soon as the truck started and wanted them on all the time during day and night driving. Is there something I could tap into using a relay. Would the fuse panel be a good spot or does that have constant power all the time?

So to be such a bother.
Jeff

Don't run the main power for your lights from the fuse box, should come directly from the battery to your relay. Run the power for your switch from the fuse box that is switched by the ignition and just leave the fog light switch on. Depending on the light wattage I would at least have them switched so you can shut them off if need be.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Ok I just want to make sure I have this straight.

Basically what I should do is where sscully (in his diagram above) has a wire going to the parking lights I should put that wire to the fuse box and put a switch in the middle?

Old 01-02-2008, 08:55 PM

..<snip>... What type of relay should I get?..<snip>...
There should have been a relay with the fog lamps.
If not, any Standard Auto Relay ( Bosch relay as they are some times known ) will work just the same.

..<snip>... I take power from the battery and run it into one side of the relay and then to the lights and then take the other side of the relay and run it to the light switch?
When you get a standard Auto Relay from Napa or AutoZone, the numbers in the diagram above are correct. The numbers are usually standards.

The connection to pin 30 on the relay, is a fused connection to the relay from the battery.

The connection to both aux lamps is from pin 87.

..<snip>... come on as soon as the truck started and wanted them on all the time during day and night driving..<snip>...
There are a few way to this. One is to use a fuse that is on in the run position, and in that slot use an add a fuse.

This add a fuse that is used in the fuse slot, containing the fuse that was removed for this, and then an additional fuse for the coil on the relay to the aux lamps. The added fuse can be a 1 A fuse, as the coil is only about 0.10 A of a load.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Please do not connect them directly into the headlamp or parking lamp circuits.

An example of how to have the aux lamps come on with the parking lamps :

There are a few other options for turning them on and off, depends on what function you are looking for them to have, but this is a good starting point
I was wondering if you would help me by answering a question...

I added fog lights under my tonneau cover. I use them only occasionally. For power, I spliced into a four pronged harness from Uhaul, I then plugged it into my four pronged trailer outlet on my hitch. The lights are turned off and on from inside the bed, but it is always plugged in, and is never turned on unless I need them. They only work if my lights or parking lights or headlights are on. Is this safe? It does have a fuse, and is grounded. Thanks for your help!

Old 01-02-2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by cowboy_26
I also got a set of fog lights for Christmas I'm hooking mine up to a switch and was wondering where the best place to run the wire into the cab was
If you are referring to the power for the coil, it depends on what function you want the lights to have.

1. On with the key in the run position
2. On with the parking lamps
3. On with the lo - head lamps
4. On with the hi - head lamps

Depending on what you want the power source for the relay coil to be, there are a few different places to get the power from.

Some of these can be found in the cab of the truck already, so there is a single wire out of the cab.

On the 04+, you can follow the body plug just above the where the brake goes through the firewall.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Shinesintx

I added fog lights under my tonneau cover. I use them only occasionally. For power, I spliced into a four pronged harness from Uhaul, I then plugged it into my four pronged trailer outlet on my hitch. The lights are turned off and on from inside the bed, but it is always plugged in, and is never turned on unless I need them. They only work if my lights or parking lights or headlights are on. Is this safe? It does have a fuse, and is grounded. Thanks for your help!
Scully, could ya help me out? Please read the above. Thanks

Old 01-03-2008, 04:44 AM

Your setup is good to go

Old 01-03-2008, 06:16 PM

This might not be good :

1. Is the U-Haul one of the Hoppy style that plugs into the truck's lights ?

2. What is the wattage is the light you added ?

If the U-Haul is in the truck's parking light system, this is not good, it will be adding load to that system, that should not be on there.

If you are not using a trailer, and this is on the truck's trailer lighting system, then it should be OK, but if you use a trailer, then you might be trying to over load the system.

Depending on your answer, my answer would be no, it is not OK.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
what year truck? in my truck all the wiring was there. All i did was wire in a switch to energize the factory relay and send power to the factory harness.

Quick Reply: Wiring up some Fog Lights