Headlight problem on 97 F150

Old 12-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight problem on 97 F150

When I turn my switch on everything but the headlights work. I have ordered a different switch (used but told it works) and still have the same problem. I have checked the wires with a voltmeter going to both parking lights and headlights on the back of switch, both on and off, and everything seems to be working properly. I have also checked every single fuse in the truck with a continuity tester and everything is ok. I have brights when I pull back on turn signal lever. I also can get my lights to turn on by jumping directly from the battery to the lights, so I know the bulbs are still good. I have read other posts about people with similar problem and the solution seems to be the switch. But it seems my switch is working and what are the odds that I have two switches that don't work. Anyone ever heard of something like this?

Old 12-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Check your switch with the continuity tester and see if it ohms out good. As a general rule I never replace parts with another used part, the way I look at it is why would someone have an old part laying around unless they took it out because they too thought it was bad and never bothered to throw it away.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
By switch, is this to mean the main headlamp switch ?

The hi-low beam is controlled by the MFS, which could cause issue with the headlamps ( and other things ).

When you turn on the main headlamp switch, and have no headlamps and :
1. Use the FTP ( Flash to pass or pull back on the MFS ) what happens ?
2. push the MFS forward ( enable high beams ) what happens ?

With the Main headlamp switch in the on ( headlamps on position ) and the MFS in the low position ( pull back to FTP position, and release to confirm ). Remove Fuses #26 & #28 from the junction box ( cab ) and use a meter to check both sides of the socket. Neg to a known good ground, and probe both sides of the fuse position #26 & #28, what do you get ? I am assuming that this is +12 V at the connector side, as you post did make note of this.

1997 EVTM 85-1 ( headlamps )

MFS test procedure :

If you want to retry the tests above with the steering wheel column in a different position, that might make a difference also ( getting the connector to slide together some times ). Usually a problem MFS is with the connector under the steering wheel column cover, when it pulls apart, and the contacts discolor and loose contact ( general statement about some MFS problems, not specifically your problem ).

Last edited by SSCULLY; 12-15-2007 at 03:04 AM.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:48 PM
headlights

I don't mean to hijack, but, I also have no headlights. Turns out I have no headlights, foglights, or (just for a trailer, running lights). I have checked fuse #26, #28 and fuses look good. I can drive at night with the autolamps (all the way to the left on the switch) I tried the lights in on position and flash to pass works but no high beams in the on position. On autolamb everything works..except fog.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

2001 expy eddie B
problem has existed since I have bought SUV 1 year ago.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:48 PM
headlights

Is the MFS (multi function switch) the turn signal switch? Does anyone have any pics of this?

Last edited by bajamanjc; 12-16-2007 at 10:27 PM. Reason: ?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:15 AM
yes the mfs is the turn signal, "brights", wiper controls, and hazards. ( on my model at least). do not replace this part unless you know that this is the absolute issue your are having.
i too am having a headlight issue and the only thing that i have read on here or been told directly by FORD, is the MFS is my problem. luckily the autozone had one for my truck because FORD wants $153 verses $58 at autozone.
Please for the sake of your wallet make 100% sure the MFS is your issue. i am already $140 and still my h/l doesnt work.
-baztard-

Old 12-17-2007, 01:56 AM
If you are feeling ambitious you can clean the contacts in the MFS.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:37 AM
headlights

Any new info???

Old 01-29-2010, 08:04 PM
ya i'm sorry to hijack also my 1997 for f150 lost all head lights high and low bean, i get my day lights and tail lights and fog lights just no high or low bean, i don't even get the high bean indicator on the dash... can anyone help thanks

Old 01-29-2010, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by geturdun
ya i'm sorry to hijack also my 1997 for f150 lost all head lights high and low bean, i get my day lights and tail lights and fog lights just no high or low bean, i don't even get the high bean indicator on the dash... can anyone help thanks
Did you check the fuses for the high and both low beams ?

If your fog lamps work, fuse #8 in the engine compartment fuse panel is good, so the next fuses are for the high beams, and L & R low beams.

DRL ( Daytime Running Lamps ) are powered by the DRL module in the 1997 and 1998 MY trucks, and this is a different fuse.

PS : really should not cross post in the forums 2 min apart.

Last edited by SSCULLY; 01-29-2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Same thread multi forums
Old 07-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Question Fuses: Power in engine bay, but none to cab.

1997 f-150XL 4.2l v6, (OverDrive)
Exact same problem: Daylight running lights and momentary High beams in the MFS, but no headlights per say. Everything else works just fine.
There is power to the power distribution fuse box in the engine compartment, but none to the fuse box in the cab.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by DouglasRH
...<snip>...
There is power to the power distribution fuse box in the engine compartment, but none to the fuse box in the cab.
Check the fuses in the power distribution fuse box that feed the junction box relay panel in the cab.
- Use a meter to check the pins on both sides of the back of the fuse, while installed, to a known good ground.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Question 97 No Head lights: headlight relay?

Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Check the fuses in the power distribution fuse box that feed the junction box relay panel in the cab.
- Use a meter to check the pins on both sides of the back of the fuse, while installed, to a known good ground.
THere is power across the 30 Amp headlight fuse in the power distribution block in the engine bay.

There must be a headlight relay somewhere?

FYI: I can see that this is a new MFS

Old 07-22-2013, 07:25 AM

When you post there is power to the power distribution fuse box in the engine compartment, but none to the fuse box in the cab.

Do you mean for the fuses for the headlamp ?
- This reads as no power in the cab, which is one of the 4 ( 5 ) fuses that feeds the IP fuse panel are blown.

When you are testing the fuses in the cab fuse panel ( 16, 26 & 28 ) do you have the main headlamp switch turned to the head position ?
- If not, all 3 headlamp fuses will be dead. Need to have the MFS in the low position to test fuses 26 & 28, and the MFS pushed forward to test 16.

There is no headlamp relay ( low or high ) on a 1997.

Does not matter what you think the MFS looks like.

If "momentary High beams" The FTP ( Flash To Pass ) function ?

Next time please be a bit more specific when you post where there is + VDC at and not at.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Question No power to IP Headlight Fuses 26, 28, 16. But 4.6v at 16 with Key ON

Originally Posted by SSCULLY

When you are testing the fuses in the cab fuse panel ( 16, 26 & 28 ) do you have the main headlamp switch turned to the head position ?
- If not, all 3 headlamp fuses will be dead. Need to have the MFS in the low position to test fuses 26 & 28, and the MFS pushed forward to test 16.

Does not matter what you think the MFS looks like.

If "momentary High beams" The FTP ( Flash To Pass ) function ?
1 - Engine bay Power Distribution box: there is 12+ Volts to and across ALL of the Fuses.

2 - The FTP works under all conditions.

3 - Cab Fuse box (IP?): the following are ALL true regardless of the position of the headlight switch position & High/Low beam MFS:
A - Fuses # 26 & 28: No Voltage to or across both fuses.
B - #16 No voltage with the Key Off, but ~ 4.6v to and across the fuse with the key in the on/run position.
There is continuity across all 3 of these fuses.

4 - Can I make connections across some of the leads in/to the MFS (wiring harness) to bypass it to see it this is the problem with headlights? If so, which wire colours (connector blades)?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight problem on 97 F150