Headlight problem on 97 F150

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Key position not important.

Only position you can do this test in, is with the headlamp switch turned to on.

Low beam fuses, MFS needs to be in the low position, high beam fuse, MFS needs to be pushed forward.

Can you confirm these are the exact position you were metering from each pin on the back of the fuse to a known good ground ?
- i.e. What are you using for a ground ?

Old 07-29-2013, 05:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ground is good, No Voltage

Originally Posted by SSCULLY

Only position you can do this test in, is with the headlamp switch turned to on.

Low beam fuses, MFS needs to be in the low position, high beam fuse, MFS needs to be pushed forward.

Can you confirm these are the exact position you were metering from each pin on the back of the fuse to a known good ground ?
I confirmed the ground to the engine and chassis ground continuity with 12+ volts from other live fuses before proceeding. As stated: all of the fuses in the engine bay are 12+ Volts on both sides of all fuses.

As stated, the fuses inside the cab under the conditions you requested, there is NO voltage to nor through 26, 28 nor 16. Except on the later: as previously stated there is ~4.6v to and across 16 with the key on and in the run position.
My grounds were fine and these 3 fuses are all good: there is continuity across all three of them.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:02 PM
Question NO power at Headlight Fuses in the Cab

Originally Posted by SSCULLY

Hi sScully etal,
With the headlights switched on I have no power to any of the HeadLight fuses in the cab in either the High or Low beam positions.
The connections to the MFS seem OK.
What is this indicative of?
Thanks for any and all assistance.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:17 PM
i have the exact promblem as you did you figure it out ?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Exclamation Headlight Contacts burnt in MFS

Originally Posted by baughman
i have the exact problem as you did you figure it out ?
Using the Wiring Diagram kindly supplied in this thread, at the MFS I determined that there was power coming from the Headlight switch, but not out to the High nor Low beams. Temporarily bypassing the headlight connections in the MultiFunction Switch in the Steering column and jumpering between these, I was able to activate the both the High and Low beams to confirm that this indeed was the problem.
I repaired the MFS.
I also considered putting in a socketed relay(s) to greatly reduce the load and to minimize the burn out of these heavily loaded contacts in the expensive MFS.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Im having the same problem with my lights put in New mfs litgh switch and light sockets, bulbs and wireharness for new switchs still no power to the lights. All the fuses are new as tonight. What else can I do. 2001 f150 4.2l

Old 12-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Hello all,
i'm not sure if my F150 ('09 SCrew) is having the same problem or not. Yesterday on the way home i noticed my right turn signal and high beams would not work. I could turn on the high beams by using the FTP.
A short time later everything returned to normal.

Now today, I started the truck and immeditatly I had an error on the console saying there was a problem with the tire pressure sensor, traction control light was on, radio would not work, could not shift out of park, dash light inoperative, vent blower wouldn't blow.
I've checked every fuse I can, all appear to be good. I pulled the neg off the battery and after reconnecting the first time I started the truck the starter would not shut off.

After a few moments, and playing with the steering colum everything started working again.

I'm at a loss and my truck is my primary mode of transportation and my have to take it to the dealership on Monday (hopefully the problem is under my extended warranty).

Thanks in advance for any information.

Quick Reply: Headlight problem on 97 F150