fog lights and high beams are confused

Old 11-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fog lights and high beams are confused

ok iv searched in vain for an answer and i cant come up with anything. i have a 2005 f150 stx, about a month ago i installed HID's into my headlamps and silvania silverstar bulbs in my OEM fog lamps.
well i had to take the fog lamps out for about a week to re seal them and get some water out. and now when i turn on my fog lights my high beams come on! as well as the high beam dash light, but it appears very dim, and brightens up when i flip the lever forward to turn the high beams on. and then i turn the fogs off the high beams go off as well.
now when my high beams are on my fogs wont go on, thats the only thing they are doing right. sorry if this seems confusing but its the best i can describe it. any help would be great!

Old 11-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if your trying to turn the fogs and high beams on at the same time it wont work. you have to buy a kit or something

Old 11-03-2007, 10:34 PM
no, complete opposite actually. when i turn the fog lights on, the high beams come on as well. dont know how i did that? all i did was plug in the fog lamps.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Did this problem start right after installing the HID's or after working on the fog lights?
I would say you either have wires crossed, melted wires, wrong bulb someplace or a bad switch. Do the headlights work normal if you leave the fogs unplugged?

Old 11-03-2007, 11:21 PM
the problems started after i re installed the fog lights. everything was working fine when i first installed the HIDs. when i unplug the fogs it all goes back to normal. iv checked all the connections and i dont have any wires crossed. iv also checked and i dont see any melted wires tho tomorrow ill have a closer look.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:28 AM
DRJ
+1 on checking for melted wires!

Old 12-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any resolution to this?

Just installed HIDs in the heads and already had HIDs in the fogs. When I click my fogs on with my heads (low beam only), the BRIGHT indicator illuminates on the dash.

While it's really not a big deal to have the indicator illuminated, I want to make sure I'm not torking something else.

Some info:

The HID kit that I have it LOW BEAM ONLY. Thus, only TWO wires of the three wire harness are utilized.

The HID kit in the heads is H13 Low only.

The HID kit in the fogs is a 9005 high-beam kit.

My hunch is that since the heads only use two of the three pins, that something isn't jiving on a relay. Thoughts?

Old 12-14-2007, 12:07 AM
With your high beams not being in there anymore your not getting any feed back and the truck is thinking you have burnt out bulb, thats why your getting the dim fog light.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:10 AM
The way to get rid of the dim fog light is to wire some type of light to the high beam wire. Not an L.E.D. since there is not enough current for back feeding. Hope this helps...

Old 12-14-2007, 12:23 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by jjfx407
With your high beams not being in there anymore your not getting any feed back and the truck is thinking you have burnt out bulb, thats why your getting the dim fog light.

Thanks!

It's not really a dim fog light but rather a high beam indicator light.

So, in short:

I have my heads on... pull the **** to activate the fogs and the high beam indicator light comes on.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Thanks!

It's not really a dim fog light but rather a high beam indicator light.

So, in short:

I have my heads on... pull the **** to activate the fogs and the high beam indicator light comes on.
Correct: Thats what I meant sorry

Old 12-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
..<snip>...So, in short:

Brad,

The fog lamp relay gets ground from the high beam bulb. Without the high beam bulb there for the fog lamp relay, the relay is now using the next path to ground, which is via the instrument cluster high beam indicator to find ground, and this is what is illuminating the indicator.
This is S114 to S218 to Connector C220A, pin 10 to the high beam indicator - instrument cluster ( EVTM 85-1 )

2005 EVTM 86-1 Fog lamps:

If you move the ground on the fog lamp relay, this should stop:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=233430

Good luck, let us know what happens.

Steve

Last edited by SSCULLY; 12-14-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Just out of curiosity are the HID bulbs that you guys are installing a single element or dual element bulb. The stock bulbs are dual element one element for low beam and the other for high beam. From the description of the problems posted here it sounds like the HID bulbs are single element causing power to feed back through the light switch.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:55 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by LastSplash
Just out of curiosity are the HID bulbs that you guys are installing a single element or dual element bulb. The stock bulbs are dual element one element for low beam and the other for high beam. From the description of the problems posted here it sounds like the HID bulbs are single element causing power to feed back through the light switch.
Single. You're correct in that the halogen H13 has two elements within the capsule. Most of these kits are cheapy (including the one I have installed) and, as such, they lack the details -- for example, this high beam indicator thingy.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Brad,

The fog lamp relay gets ground from the high beam bulb. Without the high beam bulb there for the fog lamp relay, the relay is now using the next path to ground, which is via the instrument cluster high beam indicator to find ground, and this is what is illuminating the indicator.
This is S114 to S218 to Connector C220A, pin 10 to the high beam indicator - instrument cluster ( EVTM 85-1 )

2005 EVTM 86-1 Fog lamps:

If you move the ground on the fog lamp relay, this should stop:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=233430

Good luck, let us know what happens.

Steve
Steve -- You absolutely rock. You're a huge asset to us here and I sincerely appreciate it.

It does make sense and my gut hunch was that it was grounding issue of some sort (heck, you've taught me just about everything I know about 12v stuff).

I've got some reading to do... thanks again, bud.

-RP-

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fog lights and high beams are confused