OBD II connection fails

Old 09-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBD II connection fails

Thanks in advance for your help on this matter.

I have a 2001 Harley-Davidson F-150 Supercrew w/5.4 liter V8.

The ABS light has been coming on lately, and I took it to Autozone last night and they couldn't get an OBD II connection with their diagnostic machine.

Since it is due this month for the annual Texas vehicle inspection I took it to my local inspection station this morning and they couldn't get their diagostic machine to connect to it either.

They ended up doing the alternative sensor-in-the-tailpipe test to test the emissions and it passed inspection, but they told me that the OBD II port will need to be fixed before the next annual inspection.

I suspect that this is either a connector or a wiring problem, but I don't even know where the ODB II device is located on this vehicle.

Any suggestions on how to proceed before I just give up and take it to a mechanic? I suspect this could be an expensive trip to the repair shop.

Regards,
Steve

Old 09-22-2007, 01:35 PM
The OBDII port ismost likely under the dash on the drivers side just above your shin. It connects directly to the ECM for troubleshooting and emissions purposes. It is the single handed reason we can't cheat emissions anymore. I wish GA would run an old test if the port failed, then it would be simple again!

Old 09-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Some OBDII code readers get their power (12 VDC) from the connector under the dash. The fuse that supplies 12 V to the cigarette lighter also supplies 12 V to the OBDII connector on my 01 Excursion. Check to see what fuse is used to supply 12V to the OBDII connector on your vehicle. Your problem may be a blown fuse.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Fuse F3 in the under dash fuse panel is likely blown.

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OBD II connection fails