Interesting Power Window Problem

Old 09-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting Power Window Problem

The power windows on my 1997 F150 are acting weird. For a long time the driver side window worked and the passenger side didn't. Then one day, for no apparent reason it switched; the passenger side worked, the diver's side didn't. Now both have quit.

We've tried replacing fuses and relays to no avail. When the window down switch is pushed you can hear a clicking in the fuse panel but that's it. Any idea what might be going on? Thanks.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:31 PM
My guess is the driver door switch asm. Most of these the 12vdc goes thru a normally closed contact on the drivers sw to get to the pass side door. So the drivers door sw (left window sw) can cause problems on both doors.
The relay is the one touch down relay.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:55 PM
I switched the one touch down relay and the accessory delay relay to see if that would correct the problem with the assumption that if one was bad the other one would be good. Is there something that would make both relays go bad at the same time? I'm going to buy a new ones ASAP and see what happens.

Any other suggestions other than replacing the relays?

Old 09-26-2006, 08:31 AM
I doubt relays still guessing drivers door window sw. Because drivers and passenger are tied together electricly. But I've been wrong before. But driver's door sw is the one that gets used the most. click-click

Old 09-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Had the same problem on my '98 F150 4x4 - driver side power window would not go down, heard (and felt) clicking on Relay 4 (in the fuse box). Changed the relay, nothing.

After reading many posts on this subject on this forum, I removed the door panel and removed the speaker to access the drive motor. According to one post, a guy removed the drive motor, wacked it on his tire a couple of time, put it back in, and it worked. Well, there's enough room in the door to give the drive motor a fair wack with a box end wrench. So, while holding the window button in the 'down' position, I gave the drive motor a few good wacks with the wrench - bada bing, the window started working . I really couldn't believe it - hitting something to make it work. Before putting the door panel back on, and ran the window up and down about 20 times. Put the door panel back on, window is still working.

I'm convinced the window will stop working again at some point (I hope I'm wrong), but it's working for now...

Good Luck!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interesting Power Window Problem