Electrical help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Electrical help!

2004 F-150 Lariat 5.4.

I'll try and remember the sequence of problems since yesterday........ First noticed autolocks were intermitent, then interior light not coming on when I open the door (but does when I shut off the key), radio does not quit when I turn off the key and open the door. Now battery will go dead. What the heck? Ideas, suggestions etc, please.

TIA
Rick

PS.......... I don't think I have DOOR AJAR caution either........

Last edited by Ricktye; 09-12-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Electrical help!

Found this in another thread......... Anyone know how to do it in an04 or newer??

R...

Hey guys, just an FYI to help figure out which door switch is causing the problem.

On my 03 screw FX4, I used the odometer display Instead of disconnecting each door switch to figure out the bad one. You do this by holding the "trip/reset" button in and turning on the key and continue to hold until the display changes then let go. You will get all kinds of kool displays by pushing the trip/reset once each time including a digital Tach. and speedo and check all your dash display bulbs too. Keep pushing until you see the one that says "DOOR" and #'s next to it. When you open and close the doors the numbers next to "DOOR" will change back and forth. Whatever door you open and close and the display does not change is the door switch that is bad. This is extremely helpfull when you have a 4 door truck.
As far as I know, this method should work in any of the Ford vehicles with the small green digital odometer display. Also, if you need to replace both switches, They are LEFT and RIGHT sensitive. (I belive they r different colors too) If you put the right switch in the left door and the left in the right the switches will work opposite of what they are supposed to ( turn on when you shut the door ETC....)

Hope this helps someone.....Let me know.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Found this possible solution to my problem on anoter site. Any one have a manual etc that tells exactly where this ground is located under the rear seat??

Thanks

I have 2004 f150 Screw lariat. My problem is when you open the doors(any) the interior lights do not come on. They work if I manually turn them on and also my radio does not shut off when I remove the key until the battery save feature shuts it off.On the information center it says auto headlight-data error. I have nno idea whats going on but Ive checked all appropriate fuses I believe. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I was finally able to get my truck into the dealership today and they found a bad connection under the backseat/carpet. It was a factory junction in which the wires were completely corroded away. Hope this helps anyone who might have been interested. Thanks

Old 02-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ricktye
Found this possible solution to my problem on anoter site. Any one have a manual etc that tells exactly where this ground is located under the rear seat??

Thanks

I have 2004 f150 Screw lariat. My problem is when you open the doors(any) the interior lights do not come on. They work if I manually turn them on and also my radio does not shut off when I remove the key until the battery save feature shuts it off.On the information center it says auto headlight-data error. I have nno idea whats going on but Ive checked all appropriate fuses I believe. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I was finally able to get my truck into the dealership today and they found a bad connection under the backseat/carpet. It was a factory junction in which the wires were completely corroded away. Hope this helps anyone who might have been interested. Thanks
Anyone know exactly where this connector is?

Thanks

Old 02-21-2008, 07:49 PM
LHS just aft of the front seat in that wire bundle. It is a factory 3 wire splice on the bottom of the bundle. It lies in the water that gathers in that area and corrodes. I repaired mine, sealed it, moved it to the top (the rest of the bundle does not seem to have any other splices in the area) and made a drain hole. I SUSPECT the water is fro the rear windshield especially the slider section.

R...

Originally Posted by FattyBogora
Anyone know exactly where this connector is?

Thanks

Old 02-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ricktye
LHS just aft of the front seat in that wire bundle. It is a factory 3 wire splice on the bottom of the bundle. It lies in the water that gathers in that area and corrodes. I repaired mine, sealed it, moved it to the top (the rest of the bundle does not seem to have any other splices in the area) and made a drain hole. I SUSPECT the water is fro the rear windshield especially the slider section.

R...
Thanks for the reply...

I'll check it out this weekend.

Brian

Old 03-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Same issue

Hey...good post here, it has been helpful. I too have the supercrew 04 lariat and have the same issues with the radio, door chime, door ajar, dome light etc. I am suspecting it to be the same thing with the corroded wires...let me know how things turn out if that really was the fix. Also do you really need to take out the seats to get to it, or is there another way. Also the colours of the wire would be helpful and any other advice...thanks

Old 03-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Tried looking for the connector today, couldn't find it. I'm not sure if the connector is in the wire bundle that runs down the side of the truck or the bundle that comes off that bundle and goes the front seat...

Originally Posted by Meeko
Hey...good post here, it has been helpful. I too have the supercrew 04 lariat and have the same issues with the radio, door chime, door ajar, dome light etc. I am suspecting it to be the same thing with the corroded wires...let me know how things turn out if that really was the fix. Also do you really need to take out the seats to get to it, or is there another way. Also the colours of the wire would be helpful and any other advice...thanks

Old 03-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Anyone find this splice? What color are the wires?

Thanks guys!

Old 03-26-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm having the same issues with my 2004 supercrew lariat. I took the plastic drivers side (front and back) sill plates off to expose the wire bundle last night. (BTW the sill plates pull straight up for anyone trying to pry them open)

I noticed that water has penetrated into the 'sill well' that the wire bundle sits in. Its fairly easy to see how water penetrates into this area through the grommet holes. I briefly looked at the wire bundle, I did notice a splice of black wires (looks to be a mix of 16 gauage and 18 gauge wires) with heat shrink tubing. This might be the "Factory Splice"?? I have not found the "corroded splice" but I will work on it and keep everyone posted.

I wish we can post pictures to the forum. That would help alot.

Aero....

Old 04-04-2008, 12:25 PM
solution for me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I have the exact same problem .... radio data error etc etc, had it into 2 shops, the first one said it was door switches which put things on an open circut....they changed 2 door switches...no fix!!! then the next garage said it was my VSM, they are tracking a new one down, they said that it was a part that was unavailable???? they dont make replacements???? he looked about as stumped as me. They are finding a replacement and will change it...he said the thing is fried!!! I also have a remote start/alarm but it was dealer intstalled ford aftermarket. I will post if the vsm change fixes the issue.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Fixed!!!

Found the bad splice today. Everything is working again. No more Data Error and the dome light comes on.

The wire splice is on the driver's side wire bundle just before the wire goes into the rear pillar. I have a pic if anyone is interested...

Old 07-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Lime05
Anyone find this splice? What color are the wires?

Thanks guys!
this site was very helpfull to me thanks to all ok now with the technical information!!!!!!!!! the troublesome wires we're violet or purple they we're located on the drivers side door sill of the rear door almost up to the rear pillar The 2 purple wires splice into 1 purple wire.
these we're corroded so I cut out the splice re-spliced and all was fine

Old 01-02-2009, 11:04 PM
WOOOO FRIGGIN HOOO! I have had the problem for about 8 months now and posted it then asking for help. I got some great ideas, but nothing seemd to work. Well, after reading this and pulling the wires out I found the broken violet wire. Spliced a new wire in and everything works. I had the EXACT problem the rest on here have had.

Ford, for what ever reason, decided to use a different type of weather proofing splice on this wire. All the others are proper with the glue that oozes out when heated to make a true water proof seal. This one was like someone else said, like hockey stick tape. Mine was right at the rear of the cab (S-crew) almost at the point where I could not get at it without removing the seat. I think it is in different places on all trucks.

Cause....water and a bad splice material. But, why so much water, where is it coming from? Coould it be coming from the 3rd brake light? There was water from the front to the back in that wire trough (sp?)

I even bought a used VSM from a wrecker because I figured it was that, but no. Luckily I was able to return it for a full refund ($100).

I can't explain how happy, glad, excited, etc. that this is fixed. Now I have to get the wires all retaped and put back in, that will not be fun. Thanks again to this site, great info.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Ford 2004

Originally Posted by FattyBogora
Found the bad splice today. Everything is working again. No more Data Error and the dome light comes on.

The wire splice is on the driver's side wire bundle just before the wire goes into the rear pillar. I have a pic if anyone is interested...
Any chance you still have those pictures. Can you email them to me. Thanks. s.athey@***.net

Quick Reply: Electrical help!