Electrical help!

Old 09-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anybody have pictures of the wire splice and where it is so i can fix my 2004 f150. radio wont turn off and im getting a data error. S.athey@***.net

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't know where those pictures went, but here they are, I scrapped all them out of the thread when they were 1st posted.

Here is the location that is common to the Super Screw where the wiring runs up the driver's side C-pillar

This is another one I got for a 2004 Standard cab, the member said the splice was no good, it was a Blue w/ White stripe wire. Cannot recall the symptoms to know if they are the same as the violet wire.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:05 PM
urk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is the bad splice located in a different spot for supercabs? most you guys have super crew

Old 02-06-2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by urk
is the bad splice located in a different spot for supercabs? most you guys have super crew
Did you look at the 1st picture with the purple wire ?

This is within 1" of where the wires turn up the C-pillar on the SCrew.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Did you look at the 1st picture with the purple wire ?

This is within 1" of where the wires turn up the C-pillar on the SCrew.
Steve, isn't the 1st picture a Screw? The poster asked about a Scab. One of the reasons I ask is I have mine (that loom) torn completely apart and have searched till I'm cross-eyed and there is no 2-to-1 violet wire there period. There is a violet wire, but definitely no 2-to-1 splice. I have been having intermittent multiple problems for a while and wanted to rule out the splice before going to the instrument cluster (where the problem likely is). Build date is 5, '04.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by code58
Steve, isn't the 1st picture a Screw? The poster asked about a Scab. One of the reasons I ask is I have mine (that loom) torn completely apart and have searched till I'm cross-eyed and there is no 2-to-1 violet wire there period. There is a violet wire, but definitely no 2-to-1 splice. I have been having intermittent multiple problems for a while and wanted to rule out the splice before going to the instrument cluster (where the problem likely is). Build date is 5, '04.
My mistake, seem to recall the 2nd picture with the Blue w/ white stripe wire is the same place for the SCab. Not 100% sure of that, or why the wire color changed.

The other thread that links to here only 1 SCab in it, and he could not find a bad splice ( don't know how he got to this point ). That member's supposition was that the door sensor was the issue ( no mention of how the member got to that point ).

Have you just redone the splices as you find them ?

Old 02-08-2011, 04:47 AM
Have you just redone the splices as you find them ?

No, I haven't Steve. My truck wasn't born here (popped out in Norfolk, Virginia), but it's definitely been raised here. Nut much rain in So. Ca. and even though I did have the infamous 3rd brake light leak, I caught it when only a few drops had come through so no water intrusion. Bone dry in the whole channel and pristine. I searched again today and the result is the same. No such splice and all the other splices are rock solid and the self sealing type. The ONLY splice in the entire loom with the "hockey tape" is one in the C pillar and that is 2 Blk/blu stripe into 1 of the same and goes up to the 3rd brake/bed light. The connection is electrowelded (fused together), not soldered. I have thought for some time it was the instrument cluster and have had that out about 3 times to examine under a lighted magnifier, but wanted to make SURE I wasn't chasing my tail before closing the loom door. The "challenges" manifest themselves in a lot of the SAME ways the "bad splice" does. (I don't have problems, but I have plenty of "challenges") The interesting part is, although it has manifested about 25 or more different combinations or #'s of "faults", It has always been corrected (for from seconds to weeks) by a flat hand slap on the R hand top of the dash above the instrument cluster. Trust me, there is NO sign, under magnification, of any sort of cold solder joint or any other visible failure on the instrument cluster board.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by code58
...<snip>... The interesting part is, although it has manifested about 25 or more different combinations or #'s of "faults", It has always been corrected (for from seconds to weeks) by a flat hand slap on the R hand top of the dash above the instrument cluster. Trust me, there is NO sign, under magnification, of any sort of cold solder joint or any other visible failure on the instrument cluster board.
Can I ask the dumb question, did you check the connectors. Sure you have, but thought I would ask anyway.

Maybe a loose female connector, and the smack is helping make contact ??

Hate to say it, if that is not it, the only thing left ( as you have pointed out ) is the cluster itself. That is a hard one to bit the bullet on, and change out and have the as built data loaded back into, on a chance.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Can I ask the dumb question, did you check the connectors. Sure you have, but thought I would ask anyway.

Maybe a loose female connector, and the smack is helping make contact ??

Hate to say it, if that is not it, the only thing left ( as you have pointed out ) is the cluster itself. That is a hard one to bit the bullet on, and change out and have the as built data loaded back into, on a chance.
Steve, My wife chuckles when I say I'm a RECOVERING perfectionist, but it's true, not the obsession I once had but I am meticulous about what I do. I have had it out the 3 times and each time thought I have it fixed, only to have it come back after a while. I even went so far as to "tweek" the tiny little pins that are in the plugs on each side of the instrument cluster. Used a fine hollow needle and tweeked each one at the base in one direction a few thousand's of an inch and then from the middle up, a few thousand's the other way, to assure good contact in the receptacles. The reason for that was because I could wiggle both R & L connectors (when latched) and get it to "fail" in many different ways with KOEO. There were times when wiggling them wouldn't cause any "failure". I have tried to avoid replacing because of the "reprogram" of at least the odometer, whether new or used. I have worn out all my "fine tooth combs" on this because #1,I like to fix things, #2, I don't like to admit defeat, #3, I don't really want to spend that kind of money on "the mystery" problem, I want to solve it, #4, So far a flat hand slap (learned that out of frustration while driving and my A/C went out on a warm day) has always returned everything to normal.... for a very indefinite period of time.
(a lot more (reasonable) things I have done in the coarse of this saga, all ultimately to no avail) Have suspicioned cluster from early on, but didn't want to replace it and find the problem resurfaced. I have even slid the connector apart (R&L) and examined the female receptacles and found no problem of any kind there. (they are really tiny)

Old 03-27-2012, 03:21 PM
I have an 02 excursion with a simiar issue as described above. Key fob will not unlock doors and radio will not turn off when key is removed. It is my wifes care so i'll try to check the drivers side sill for the purple wire and hockey tape.

Any advice or expereince with this on teh excuriosn would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by cookchris
I have an 02 excursion with a simiar issue as described above. Key fob will not unlock doors and radio will not turn off when key is removed. It is my wifes care so i'll try to check the drivers side sill for the purple wire and hockey tape.

Any advice or expereince with this on teh excuriosn would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Does everything else on the door work correctly ( power windows, power mirror, etc ? ).

the only reason I ask this, is if the ground is missing to the door lock mech and the door ajar indicator, neither would work.

don't have access to a 2002 excursion EVTM at the moment, but I want to take a guess that this is still similar to the 2002 F150.
I think the 2003 went to the new config that the 2004 F150 followed.
- Did I get that correct, or was the excursion 2 years earlier in change to the new system ? I get confused with the F150 to Expy / Excursion / SuperDuty changes.

the ground for the power DL to Pwr Windows is common from Splice S500 to Ground point G200 ( in the cab of the truck ). The door ajar indicator does not show splice S500, just a direct circuit to G200 ( could be a typo ).

The other thing to check, is the door ajar indicator on the cluster illuminated when the door is closed ?

Trying to think of an easy way to find out if the your Excursion is equiped with a CSM ( Central Security Module / RAP in 2000 MY and older ) or a VSM ( Vehicle Security module ). Not having much luck at the moment.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Windows Mirrors etc work. The door ajar light is on. Would this be a sesor or latch issue then? Thanks for your help!

Old 03-27-2012, 05:55 PM

I still cannot recall which way the '02 Excursion is for electric.

The door ajar indicator could be a few things.

maybe try the door ajar light sticky at the top of this sub forum ???

Sorry The Excursion is one that I know very little about, things never came up with it in this sub forum. Did you try the Excursion sub forum here ?? Don't know if a search centered around that sub forum would provide something factual, rather than my SWAG and pontifications.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:09 PM
I'll try the EX subforum. Thx.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:41 PM
hey everyone ok im having a problem with my truck um when u turn the dome light all the way on the truck starts and windows work,dash works everything but as soon as u turn it off everything quits engine,fuel pump, everything but no fuese r blowen but if anyone has an answer please call my cell 248 807 1801 thank u my name is mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical help!