Power window lock switch broke?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power window lock switch broke?

Has anyone else had this kind of problem? On my '98 Exped my wife kept using the window lock switch to keep the kids from playing with the windows. The switch always felt suspect to me since it was very hard to switch back and forth. Now, the windows wont roll up or down, this happened out of the blue.

I checked the fuses under the dash and in the engine compartment and they are fine.

Does anyone know the color of the wires that go to the lock switch so that I can test that wire?

Old 07-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Something to add..

Well, I tore the switch out of the door and found out that there is no power at all to any of the switches. Also I drove the truck for the first time in a while in the dark and found out that there are no insides lights when you open the door. It could be that the switches in the door are stuck, but I doubt that.

I could see from the Haynes manual that I bought that the power window and interior lighting gets its power from the same cirucuit, so Im guessing there is a problem in a junction.

The book mentions the G.E.M., generic electronic module...what is that and what does it do and were is it at? I read that sometimes they get full of water from a leaky windshield...any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
from what you saying its sounds like the passenger windows were locked out from the passengers, thus allowing only the driver to control all 4 windows,

then what it looks like has happened since the windows and the dome lights dont work any more is you lost your ground connection to all electrical in the door, since its the only thing the windows switchs and dome lights coming on have in common.

your right in saying its not the switch in the door because whether the door is open or closed the windows should still be able to be rolled up and down.

to confirm this, when you open the passenger doors do the dome lights come on? if so, then you have no ground in the drivers door.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the reply,

when I open any other door, there are no interior lights. When I put the keys in the ignition with the door open there is no chime, unless I wiggle the key around, I dont think that those things are related, but just incase.

I checked in my chilton manual and found that both the windows and interior lights get their power from the g.e.m. on that circuit. I hope thats not the problem but it looks like it.

Also, I disconected the positive side of the battery for over 12 hours to see if the computer would reset itself, always try the easiest stuff first, but there was no change.

If it is the g.e.m., is that a real pain in the neck to replace? Can you buy a scanner to down load the program to for under $200?
Is it true that the dash in these trucks is set up to hinge down so you can access whats underneath them from the top so you dont have to remove the whole dash? A guy I work with told me that, but I dont know how he knows....

Thanks for your help

Old 07-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Clarification

Also,

To clarify, none of the windows work, not even the drivers window.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its the ground wire in the drivers door.

when u open the passenger doors do the dome lights come on? the door ajar light on the dash come on?

if yes, its the driver door ground connection.

tear apart the door panel and find the ground wire and make sure its securely connected to everything, and thats its not cracked or broken in any place.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:43 AM
None of the doors make the interior lights come on.

Ive tore the dash apart, but dont know what the gem looks like. there is a white electric box bolted to the firewall with wires going to it with a note that says, "before you replace, call Ford at this number 1800..." is that it?

Some one mentioned that the gem was actually bolted onto the fuse panel... any help would be appreciated

Dean Harris

Old 07-31-2007, 09:34 AM
little white box...

I found a little white box bolted to the firewall with two wire conections coming out of it. There are a couple of part numbers on it and an fcc# also. It says its made by, "fordlectronics". Is this the gem. Like I said its bolted high on the firewall behind the fuse box.

Quick Reply: Power window lock switch broke?