2001 F150 won't crank clicking behind dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What fuses did you check ?

At the starter motor relay on the firewall, does the tan w/ red stripe wire have + VDC at it when the key is in the start position.
- This has 2 large wires on it with a single small AWG wire ( tan w/ red stripe ).

When you replaced the battery, did you check the battery cables for corrosion / damage ?
- Can happen behind the ring terminal up into the insulation. Quick bend test would tell ( cable could fall apart ). Check both ends of it.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ended up taking the truck to the shop. Thanks!

Old 07-11-2014, 12:56 PM
Been having the same issue with starting, would start sometimes, sometimes not. Just tried starting in neutral and it started, went back to park and it started there also. But has not started in park for weeks.
If this narrows it down to DSR switch, can I adjust it somehow. Is there a procedure or do I replace something?
Thank you

Old 07-14-2014, 08:00 PM
Same issue.

Been having the same issue with starting, would start sometimes, sometimes not. Just tried starting in neutral and it started, went back to park and it started there also. But has not started in park for weeks.
If this narrows it down to DSR switch, can I adjust it somehow. Is there a procedure or do I replace something?
Thank you

Old 10-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Had issue with 2000 F-150 4x4 not starting. Drove around all day, parked to go in the store, come out to a non starting truck. Slid underneath to listen to starter and could hear the starter clicking, but not trying turning over. I mashed on the side of it with a 1-7/8" ball (hammer), wife turned to start and she started up !

parked it....a week or so later went to start and I found the " clicking " sound from behind the dash when I opened the door to get in....tried to start and nothing. I assumed something stuck closed and put a drain on my battery.....assumed because of previous issue i had the week or so before.

Had issue with the starter a couple years back. went to start and nothing. Had voltage in all the right places to starter, but "it no go" changed starter and i was good. This problem seems a bit different.

Going to look see if she will start in N...

Shade tree grease monkey....because I'm poor.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:43 PM
wont crank...clicking behind dash

I have a 2001 F150 XL with the 4.6. Being an XL, it does not have power windows or locks, or keyless entry. It does not have anything aftermarket, security system, radio, anything.

Several times it acts like a dead battery. Sometimes I turn the key off and back to start and it starts. Today it acted the same way...completely dead. I checked battery connections, everything looked fine. I also had no headlights or gauges or anything. Then it started making a random clicking sound like a relay behind the dash. I tried it again and it started fine.

This happens only once in awhile, maybe once every 15 to 20 times I start it. Whats going on? I have only had this truck a little over 2 months, and I'm afraid to trust it going anywhere, especially hunting or fishing where I could be out somewhere relatively isolated.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:36 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I checked battery connections, everything looked fine.
Did you pull the cables off the battery and actually clean the terminals and posts?

Old 10-15-2014, 11:52 AM
Yes, i went ahead and pulled the battery connections apart...everything looked fine but I cleaned them anyway. Same problem.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:11 PM
Ford F150 No Start Issue

Originally Posted by MommaStarbucks
Ended up taking the truck to the shop. Thanks!
When you took the truck to the shop, what ended up being the repair?

Old 12-12-2016, 11:51 AM
I'm having the same problem I think it has something to do with the break to the anti theft

Old 12-12-2016, 01:31 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by kalhey
I'm having the same problem I think it has something to do with the break to the anti theft
Go back and read ALL of my posts in this thread....

Old 01-07-2017, 06:53 PM
Question

Can you guys post your fixes to this issue?

I broke my auto trans shift tube trying to start my truck. When I took the steering column apart, all the torx screws were loose which was affecting the park solenoid. Now, I'm getting the clicking noise behind the dash. I swapped out the starter solenoid on the firewall and it does the same thing. The truck will start after about 10-20 turns of the key.

Attached Thumbnails 2001 F150 won't crank clicking behind dash-broke-shift-tube-.jpg  
Old 10-14-2017, 05:46 PM
Same prob in my 97

Body control module or GEM is no good. It is located on the back of your fuse panel near emergency brake.it is not just an way remove and install.I just replaced MI this morn and I have some pics if u want them let me know.total time was about 3hrs.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:51 PM
Cool Same prob in my 97,here's the fix

Body control module or GEM is no good. It is located on the back of your fuse panel near emergency brake.it is not just an way remove and install.I just replaced MI this morn and I have some pics if u want them let me know.total time was about 3hrs.

Quick Reply: 2001 F150 won't crank clicking behind dash