My Odometer Light doesn't "light up" when Headlights are on!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Odometer Light doesn't "light up" when Headlights are on!!

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem.

I have a 2005 Ford F150 STX. During the day, its fine, I don't need the light to see the odometer. But during the night, when I use my headlights, the light behind the odometer doesn't work. Is it a blown fuse, or is there a bulb to replace?

I just would like to know before I start tearing into my dashboard. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:50 AM
If its just behind the odometer, and not the rest of the gauge cluster I would suspect a burnt bulb. However if other instruments are missing light, I would think it would be a fuse. First, I would consult your owners manual and see which fuse is related to the odomoeter, check it and see if it is good. If it is, I would think the bulb is dead, which would prolly be a real PIA to replace. If your truck i under warranty, that might be best dealt with by the dealer. Just my 2 cents, I hate taking a dash apart, all thise plastic pieces scare me when you hafta pull them out of the clips. Also, the plastic that protects your gauges is HIGHLY susceptible to scratches, and tat would just be annoying to look at a scratch there all the time.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:08 PM
If the other lights on the dash come on them, yes the bulb is burned out. Do a search and you'll find instructions on dash removal.
On a pre 2002- not sure of the newer ones.
Its not real hard to do. Its pretty much simple a matter of locating all the screws. I can get it out, change the bulbs and replace it in about an hour.
I THINK the worst screw is behind the headlight switch. Be VERY careful removing it. Read up on the switch removal procedure before you do it. Its very simple, but if you don't follow the prcedure you end up getting pissed and breaking it.
Also a good idea to replace all the dash lights with new ones while you have it out.

Quick Reply: My Odometer Light doesn't "light up" when Headlights are on!!