Engine needs a service light

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine needs a service light

Hi
does anyone know how to turn off the engine needs a service light as mine has just illuminated at 120k kms, it has just had a service so would like to turn it off i live in spain and ford dont know anything about my truck as its classed as an import
any help appreciated
also does anyone know any f150 breakers web addresses as i need a few bits and bobs
regards
chalky

Old 02-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
By the "engine needs a service light" are you talking about the SES ( Service Engine Soon ) / CEL ( Check Engine Light ) ?

If so, this means that there is a problem with the truck, and you need a ODB-II scanner to get the DTC that the truck is reporting.

Don't know of any Ford Breakers in Spain, maybe EnglishAdam might know of one or two in the UK ??? Look up his member info here, and send him an email via his profile as a starter.

The other option ( if the parts are not too big ) is one of the 3 online parts dealers in the states might do EU shipping. Drop them an email, and check with them. If nothing else, getting the part number and going to a ford dealer in EU might do the trick, albeit at a slightly higher cost.

www.oemfordparts.com
www.fastpartsnetwork.com
www.fordparts.com

Last edited by SSCULLY; 02-06-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:00 PM
unless the SES light is flashing then it wont hurt to keep driving the truck. you do really need to read the code so you can find the problem though.
a quick way to turn off the light is to disconnect the battery but the light will come back on.

you said it was just serviced, what did they do? maybe they unplugged something and now it has thrown a code.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Question service engine soon light

i can confirm it is the `service engine soon` light on the left hand side of the dashboard above the seatbelt not worn light it is a Dec 1999 flairside model,
is this not a light that purely comes on when the mileometer reaches certain points to let you know a service is due? i have just clocked 120k kms and wondered whether this has set it off ?
the drivers side elec window switch is currently dismantled awaiting a very expensive new one ( hence the question for breakers, i was looking for a usa breakers web site btw as i idealy need a new headlight switch and a spare wheel but dont fancy buying a new switch at £140 ($ 280 ) and the wheel £170 ( $340 (plus shipping from the UK )
it has just been serviced by a local mechanic, eg plugs, oil , air filter, oil filter,tune, front pads,front flexi brake hoses, rear shocks,2 door actuators,4 new tyres, new exhaust clamp,wired up wing repeaters, front fogs, rear fogs, headlight side lights, front spots, interior light,adjusted hand brake,fitted rear security box,
so you can see after all this i dont appreciate the bloody light coming on heh heh
any thought comments appreciated
cheers
chalky

Old 02-07-2007, 01:38 PM

Nope, that is the light that gives a visual indication that something is wrong. There is not a service due light like BMWs have.

IF you just got all that work done, I'd have the shop run a ODB-II scanner on it, to figure out if something they did caused a problem. If you can get the code ( would be in a format of P0141 or the likes ) there might be a cure listed on the boards here, for a DIY fix, if the shop claims it was not them.

Try sending an email to the online parts places above, and see if they do EU shipping. Might take a week to get there, but you might save a few Euros on the parts, to more then cover shipping.
Wheel I think would be kind of pricey to ship, so that might be best local source, but again check with the sites above.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:21 PM
P0171 code

Hi
Does anyone know what the P0171 code means i have looked through lots of threads on here to no avail
my light has since gone off since scanning it but i waould like to know what it was concerning
thanks

chalky

Old 02-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by chalky2k
Hi
Does anyone know what the P0171 code means i have looked through lots of threads on here to no avail
my light has since gone off since scanning it but i waould like to know what it was concerning
thanks

chalky

Usually a vacuum leak.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:26 AM

Could be a few things. Could be as simple as a vac line was knocked off when doing the work, or could be more involved like the guy doing the work, loosened the XHST system by the O2 sensor.

I would take a look to make sure the intake is together correctly, considering you just had an air filter replacement.

Look at the hoses on the side of the intake, and check that the IAT is seated correctly.

Here is the full write up from the 2001 Service Manual, to give you some ideas of where to start looking for the problem. There are tons of posts on these codes, where you might find exact results from testing, to get an idea of most common causes.

DTC
P0171 - System to Lean (Bank 1)

Description
The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit.

Possible Causes
Fuel system
Excessive fuel pressure.
Leaking /contaminated fuel injectors.
Leaking fuel pressure regulator.
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
Vapor recovery system.
Induction system:
- Air leaks after the MAF.
- Vacuum Leaks.
- PCV system.
- Improperly seated engine oil dipstick
EGR system:
- Leaking gasket.
- Stuck EGR valve.
Leaking diaphragm or EVR
Base Engine:
- Oil overfill.
- Cam timing.
- Cylinder compression.
- Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss.

Diagnostic Aides
A SHRTFT-1,2 PID value between -25% to +35% and a LONGFT-1,2 PID value between -35% to +35% is acceptable. Reading beyond these values indicate a failure.

Quick Reply: Engine needs a service light