Turn Signals only when wheel tilted up. How I fixed this.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Turn Signals only when wheel tilted up. How I fixed this.

I have an 01 f150 screw with no problems until a couple of weeks ago. Suddenly the turn signals would NOT work unless the wheel was tilted full upward.
I removed the shroud using the instructions found elsewhere on this forum, and sure enough, the multi pin plug on the top of the steering column was moving in and out of the connector when I moved the wheel up and down. I used the ring and middle fingers on both hands and plugged it back in while the wheel was in the full up position. The locking tabs on each side of the plug was broken so it would soon come back loose.
I took a thin tye wrap and went through the wires behind the connector and around the protrusion under the hazard switch. I snugged it up and re-assembled everything. Still working fine.
Be careful when removing the key lock assy. I put a small piece of tape on it and on the column, with a mark to line it back up. (I did get it back together and the key wouldn't turn so had to re-do it.)
Read all the disassembly instructions carefully and print them out and have in your lap. Be sure BEFORE you start, to gather all the exact tools required. You don't want to have to start hunting a small punch to push out the lock pin while parts are scattered all over the cab. If you will gather the correct tools as posted in the forums, and print out the posts in these forums, and take your time, you will correct a problem that would have cost you a couple hundred bucks to have repaired.
Good Luck and hope this helps a little.

zippys

Old 01-28-2007, 10:31 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
thats cool, they usually just diagnose it as a bad switch and just replace the whole enchilada

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turn Signals only when wheel tilted up. How I fixed this.