AC Trouble, wont work unless I hit a bump!

Old 10-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Trouble, wont work unless I hit a bump!

I just bought an brand new 06 F-150 STX 4X4. A few days after I brought it home, I started the truck and the AC didn’t come on even though it was switched to the on position. I turned it off and back on and it started working again.

Now, I have about 3000 miles on the truck, the other day I started the truck and the AC didn’t come on. Again I switched the AC off and on again but this time it didn’t kick on, so i trid re-starting my truck, and that didnt work either. As im driving out of my apartment complex I go over a speed bump and it starts working again.

So im thinking “this is sounding familiar” then I remember my fathers old 1991 Ford Explorer had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM!! I remember I would have to pop the clutch and jolt the whole vehicle for the AC to pop on. It wasn’t a problem because it was a standard trans. My truck on the other hand is an automatic, and I have to run over a speed bump for it to kick on.

The truck Is still under warranty so im going to have it fixed, but it doesn’t do it all the time. And im sure the day I make an appointment and drag my *** down to the dealer it won’t be having the problem. So id like to be able to tell them exactly what’s wrong with it.

Considering our 1991 had the same problem my 2006 has, it doesn’t seem like ford was too keen on changing the technology for the last decade and a half. So I figure this problem is wide spread and im hoping one of you can tell me exactly what’s wrong.

I love that truck to death, but the Phoenix heat plus my black truck is hell with no AC.

Last edited by Script; 10-09-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Script
..<snip>...So im thinking “this is sounding familiar” then I remember my fathers old 1991 Ford Explorer had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM!! I remember I would have to pop the clutch and jolt the whole vehicle for the AC to pop on. It wasn’t a problem because it was a standard trans. My truck on the other hand is an automatic, and I have to run over a speed bump for it to kick on.

The truck Is still under warranty so im going to have it fixed, but it doesn’t do it all the time. And im sure the day I make an appointment and drag my *** down to the dealer it won’t be having the problem. So id like to be able to tell them exactly what’s wrong with it.

Considering our 1991 had the same problem my 2006 has, it doesn’t seem like ford was too keen on changing the technology for the last decade and a half. So I figure this problem is wide spread and im hoping one of you can tell me exactly what’s wrong.

I love that truck to death, but the Phoenix heat plus my black truck is hell with no AC.
1. You should say you are having the exact same symptoms, considering you did not post what the resoultion was for the 1991 ( please tell me you did not leave it hood rig'd like that ? ).

2. Did you bother to check anything with the system ?
2.1. Like the wiring connection on the AC clutch itself, to see if it was fully seated, for broken wires, etc.

3. Have you checked the EMTC panel to see if anything is loose behid the dash ?
3.1. the P.O. might have done some add ons, and just yanked the wiring out.

The 1991 had a manual system in it for the HVAC controls, the 04 has an EMTC ( Electronic Manual Temp Cont ) system in it, which is built around the EATC ( Electronic Auto like the Lariat and KR's have ). An '03 to '04 have greatly different HVAC systems in them, so to say it is the same problem could be true, but without any diagnoses or trouble shooting, you are guessing that it is the same problem.

If you feel up to diagnoses work ( don't know if you feel like getting your hand dirty, with it under warrenty ) let us know, and we can try to point you in the cirrect direction.

Telling them exactly what is wrong with it symptom wise, I think you have a good idea. Tellign them it is the same problem ( vs symptom ) as the 1991, is not going to help too much.

Figuring the probelm si wide spread, maybe take a look in the HVAC forum, to see if it is common. I have not seen much of this reported myself, so to make the comment it is "wide spread" is blowing things out of scope a bit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC Trouble, wont work unless I hit a bump!