Wipers, Electric Window, Dome wont work

Old 06-02-2006, 12:00 PM
UWA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wipers, Electric Window, Dome wont work

My electric windows, wipers, inside dome and light under hood stop working out of the blue. Was working last night, truck sat all night and didnt work in the morning. There doesnt seem to be one relay that works all four of these. I could go back to the truck tonight and everything will work. This happened several months ago. I pulled so many fuses and relays and it started working again. I assumed that fixed the problem but with the way it goes on and off without the truck moving has me baffled. Anyone have this problem or know what I can do??? This is a 1998 F150 extended cab 2wd with a 4.6

Old 06-04-2006, 12:54 PM
98 F150 4.6 4x4

Same thing just happened to me. Door ajar lights work ok (ie, the switch isn't sticky inside the latch), but dome lights, washer fluid pump and wipers won't work for me, either (I don't have power windows). I've checked all my fuses and relays.

I have noticed that if I have the wipers on when I start the engine, the wipers will work for one cycle.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Check the ignition switch connector at the base of the steering column. Chances are it's burnt and distorted. If so, replace the switch and the connector. By switch, I mean the electrical portion at the base of the column, not the cylinder at the top.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:54 AM
Tnx

Thanks for the advie, but the connector loos fine. Any other thoughts?

Old 06-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Sounds like a fuse, too familiar in that 3 different things tie in and all aren't working. Your owners manual should say which fuse does what.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Same here

From what I have gleaned from this board this is a common problem. Windshield seal starts to leak, water drops on back of fuse panel and corrodes or damages the GEM module and poof--various systems start to act up, no window, no dome light, wiper don't work, 4-wheel drive won't engauge, etc. My question is where is a good write up on accessing the GEM module for replacemnrt

Old 06-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Angry Same Problem - no power wndws...

I have '97 xlt 150. Dome lite and exterior cab running lites would stay on about 50% of time when I turned off ignition and closed door. Unlocking door and closing again usually turned off everything. Now a bigger problem. No power windows, no interior dome/door ajar signal, no exterior cab lites. I've checked the fuses and power to both sides of fuses. Oweners mannual , as well as wiring diagram in repair mannual, suggest checking the GEM module. However, neither shows location of GEM or how to test it. Where is it located, how do I test it? Any other suggestions - I'm going crazy without the use of my truck.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by brian50
I have '97 xlt 150. Dome lite and exterior cab running lites would stay on about 50% of time when I turned off ignition and closed door. Unlocking door and closing again usually turned off everything. Now a bigger problem. No power windows, no interior dome/door ajar signal, no exterior cab lites. I've checked the fuses and power to both sides of fuses. Oweners mannual , as well as wiring diagram in repair mannual, suggest checking the GEM module. However, neither shows location of GEM or how to test it. Where is it located, how do I test it? Any other suggestions - I'm going crazy without the use of my truck.
Start by checking your door latch switch, to see if it is a seperate problem. You make no mention, if you have lubricated them or not.
After you run the maint cycle on the door latch switch, see what is and is not working.

The GEM is on the back side of the CJB ( Central Junction Box = Inside the cab of the truck ). I don't think you can take it apart, without removing the CJB from the mounting location.

Let's start with the door latch switch first.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:26 AM
I'm pretty familiar with the door latch issue, and it's not the door latch problem. These things all go on and off at the same time, and my door latches are working fine.

Something else I noticed is if the system is acting up, then if I open my door while the engine is running, the Door Ajar light and audible alarm will both come on for only a second, then go out, even if I leave the door open. Same happens with the fasten seatbelt alarm and light, it stays on for a second, then goes out, if I unfasten my belt with the engine running.

Dash lights, running lights, daytime lights, brake lights, turn signal, radio, alarm, fans... everything else works ok.

Does this point more towards the GEM, or maybe something else?

Thnx!

Old 06-21-2006, 04:42 AM
Ok, the only relevant thing I could find in Chilton's is on pge 6-40, diagram 12, bottom section. It's for the wipers and windshield fluid pump.

From the ignition, the wire is hot in run and start and passes through a 30 amp fuse before getting to the wiper switch, then the wire goes on into the GEM. That means the only part of the electrical system this COULD have in common with the window motors or overhead light is the GEM, so it must be the GEM if this problem is occurring at exactly the same time in all these other systems.

I couldn't find anything regarding the overhead light or power window systems in regards to th GEM, but I bet they are tied into it as well.

How much does a GEM cost? Is it a bear to replace? Chilton's doesn't mention replacing it.

Thanks...

Old 08-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Remove, clean, and install

One thing I have learned as a electrical engineer is that the electronics are rarely to blame typcally it is the connections. I had the identical problem on my truck. All I did was remove the GEM Generic Electrical Module and unplugged it from all connectors and cleaned it up. Once I did that, I put it back it and everything worked wonderfully.

BTW, the Gem is on the back of the fuse box. It has 3 screws holding it down with 1 wire harness connector on the side and another connector that goes into the fuse box that you cannot see.

Getting out the fuse box is a little tricky but it is only 2 bolts and 2 nuts once you take off the front dash panel. It takes some manuvering but it comes out easy enough.

I would have taken pictures but it was late and I was tired.

Also, Chiltons did absolutley no justice to this aspect of the vehicle. It kinda irrirtates me that they totally glossed over such an important part.

Joe Quint

Old 06-14-2007, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by bronco rick
From what I have gleaned from this board this is a common problem. Windshield seal starts to leak, water drops on back of fuse panel and corrodes or damages the GEM module and poof--various systems start to act up, no window, no dome light, wiper don't work, 4-wheel drive won't engauge, etc. My question is where is a good write up on accessing the GEM module for replacemnrt
Had exactly the same problem after a big rain storm in my 1997 4x4. Saw water leaking down from the inside fusebox. Removed it (4 bolts, plus 2 bolts on the back holding the wires on). Blew it dry with my compressor & blow gun. The GEM is on the back of the fuse box attached by screws. It was dry luckily. Put it back together and replaced blown GEM module fuse, truck worked fine. $168 later for a new windshield and all is fine.

Thanks to this forum for pin pointing the fix for me.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:45 PM
under hood light, wiper motor, wipers, and dome light not working

I have a 98 f-150. I'm having the same issue as others I see here. when I cranked my truck this morning, everything was working fine. I run into a rain shower and turned my wipers on, and nothing worked. I got home, checked the fuses and there all good. I'm stumped. Not sure if it could be the gem or the connectors in the wiper switch. Any ideas????

Old 01-04-2016, 02:30 PM
Hey all, I'm having a similar issue to the beginning of the thread. When I start my truck(98 f150 4x4) my windows and dome doesn't work. But when the key is in the ignition set to on but not cranked over everything works as good as it should be expected. Any suggestions?

Old 09-30-2017, 10:34 PM
Have the exact same problem. Windows and everything else works when truck isn't cranked but will work with key turned to on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wipers, Electric Window, Dome wont work