Removing Cigarette Lighter

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing Cigarette Lighter

I'm currently trying desperately to remove my cigarette lighter. I'm planning on putting a momentary switch in that location for a project. Does anyone know how to remove this thing? I'm ready to hack the living crap out of it just to get it out. I have a 2001 f-150 xlt sport. Any help on getting this thing out would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Old 04-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I found a link on how to remove the Bezel but I have not tried it. I looked at my cigarette lighter and can't figure it out without stuff being removed.

http://kelvin7.net/archives/2004/ins...into_ford_f150

Old 04-20-2006, 09:21 PM

I was able to take a standard screwdriver and remove the bezel. I would suggest one with a thin end.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:25 PM

I then removed the ashtray and pulled my cupholder out as far as it will go. I had to reach my hand in behind and pull down on the cup holder catches to get it the cupholder to come forward some more. The catches catch the dashboard so I had to do it one more time. I also had to pull the catches down again when I put the cupholder back in. I can at least reach my arm through where the cupholder was and feel the back of the cigarette lighter. I decided to call it a day for now. My truck by the way is a 1999 f150 5.4L engine.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Wow, I can see that this is really going to require some effort just to pull out the cigarette lighter. I'll start pulling it apart tomorrow according to your pictures. Thanks for the info so far, those pictures are really helping!

Rob

Old 04-21-2006, 06:41 PM

Well let us know if you make progress. I might want to install a missle launcher switch in that location.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Hi, I got home today and started to tare the dash apart according to your pics. I then pulled the radio and the climate controls. Wouldn't you know it there was still stuff in the way that would require the entire dash panel to come off which pretty much cancelled the whole idea of having the switch there. I'm not comfortable with removing all of the dash just to remove a cigarette lighter. So, I did some more research on here and found a guy that mounted a switch in the ash tray which looked awesome!! I decided that I denfinently wanted to go with that since it was so stealth looking. Reminded me of something you would see in a James Bond car. So, I reassembled everything except the cupholder which is what I was going to be working with. I made a piece of plexi-glass to fit the ashtray shape and recessed it so that the switch would have clearance. Then painted it gloss black and glued it in. Tapped into the cigarette wire for power for my switch. Ran my wires to the ashtray and I was done. Looks really slick! I will post pictures tomorrow when theres daylight. By the way, the reason I wanted it to be stealth is to go with the theme of my project which is TRAIN HORNS YEAH!! I already mounted the horns stealth so the switch also had to be stealth and so will the rest of the parts. But overall I think the way the switch turned out was awesome. I would still like it to be in the cigarette location but it was just to much effort for what I wanted to do. Thanks for the help!

Rob

Old 04-22-2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by V8_F-150
Wouldn't you know it there was still stuff in the way that would require the entire dash panel to come off which pretty much cancelled the whole idea of having the switch there.
Rob
Bummer. I could reach my hand in thru where the cupholder was on mine and feel the cigarette lighter but I could not feel anything that was holding the cigarette lighter in.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Here are some pics of my finished horn button installed. I think it turned out nicely in this spot and looks quite stealth.

How it looks before I pull out the cupholder, nothing out of the ordinary here!

Cupholder with ashtray installed, but still nothing out of the ordinary.

Ashtray lid flipped up and wham theres the horn button!

Old 04-23-2006, 11:32 AM

Now wait one minute. You mean to tell me the ashtray was part of the cup holder?

Was that flip up lid part of the ashtray in the cupholder?

The more I see fuzzy closeup pictures posted, the more I appreciate that I spent the extra money for a camera with a macro function for closeups.

Sony DSC S70. $1000 many years ago.

Last edited by temp1; 04-23-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:18 PM
The ashtray is a removable unit, came with the truck when I bought it. Yes, the flip up lid is part of the ashtray, not the cupholder. If you take it out then your just left with a empty cupholder. But since I don't smoke, it was the perfect candidate. As for the camera, it's a $350 Vivitar so I'm not sure why it came out fuzzy, lol.

Rob

Old 04-23-2006, 07:15 PM

In my 1999 i have two seperate drawers. One for the cupholder and one underneath it for the ashtray.

Old 04-23-2006, 07:22 PM
Suspended
my 02 had the ash try as a cup holder that fit inside the cup holder ..

Old 04-03-2022, 01:28 PM
I am missing that door for the lighter... does anyone have the offical name for that ? I have been searching all day

Old 04-03-2022, 04:12 PM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
You didn't search too well...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/in...e-lighter.html

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Removing Cigarette Lighter