2000 F150 dash light issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 F150 dash light issue

I have a 2000 F-150 SC 5.4L 4x4 and it has been sitting out for sale for about 3 months. When I took it to my father in laws house (more traffic for potential buyers to see it), everything worked great. Now I have no illumination on the instrument cluster. The turn signal lights, high beam indicator, 4x4 light and the airbag light work fine. The Airbag light now blinks the 27 code. What gives here? I cannot believe that from just sitting these items have gone bad. I am now also having a problem with the power door locks, they work the first time you depress the switch then nly the drivers side works. I am so pissed, and cannot sell the truck like this. Any help will be most appreciated.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Might sound like a silly question, but has it been raining a lot, or snow metling on the hood / cowl of the truck ?

I don't want to scare you, but the combo of items you list sound almost like a GEM that got soaked, and is going south.

A bit more info, would be helpful.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Well it has been fairly dry recently. I am in Virginia so it rarely snows. I took it to the indy mechanic today and per their machine it said that the dimmer switch is defective as is the light on the passenger airbag shut off. The estimate for replacement is is $400 including parts. These two items never gave me a problem until I parked it to sell it. They are still trying to figure out the doorlock problems.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by marks450r
Well it has been fairly dry recently. I am in Virginia so it rarely snows. I took it to the indy mechanic today and per their machine it said that the dimmer switch is defective as is the light on the passenger airbag shut off. The estimate for replacement is is $400 including parts. These two items never gave me a problem until I parked it to sell it. They are still trying to figure out the doorlock problems.
$400!!!!! You're kidding, right???? The headlight and dimmer switch assembly is a $45 part and takes all of three minutes to change. There are three clips that hold it in place. All it takes is knowing where to pry, and if you're scrapping the old one anyways, who cares if it breaks. The three clips, IIRC, are on the top left, bottom center, and right side. It's been a while since I had one out, so I might be off a little bit. The bottom line is that it just pulls out.

The passenger side airbag switch is a $95 part, but replacing it is a piece of cake, and you might be able to replace just the light for it (Never looked closely at the back of mine). Worst case, if you have to replace the whole switch, it's a 7 minute job: Yank the stereo surround off (it's just held in by spring clips), unplug the switch, remove the three screws, screw the new one in place, plug it in, pop the trim back on, and BAM!! You're done.

As for the windows, that one's still a mystery to me.... without taking some time with a test light, it's a little tougher to tell.... do EITHER of the windows work? What about the passenger side switch?

Let me know.....

-Joe

Old 02-07-2006, 01:00 PM
nevermind..... just noticed you were in VA.... not really in the neighborhood....\

Old 02-07-2006, 02:03 PM
The windows work flawlessly, it is the door locks that work the first time you either lock or unlock them. After that then you cannot get either one to work. It is really weird.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by marks450r
The windows work flawlessly, it is the door locks that work the first time you either lock or unlock them. After that then you cannot get either one to work. It is really weird.

I meant door locks. I know I said windows.... I was confused....

-Joe

Old 02-07-2006, 02:33 PM
They just called back and both motors that run the door locks are bad. The service guy said it was like I had a power surge or something.

Quick Reply: 2000 F150 dash light issue