Dash lights flicker

Old 07-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash lights flicker

Got a new "problem" popping up recently.

At night, the green backlights on the dash (also the ones for the A/C controls and the light switch) flicker pretty bad. It seems to do it at idle as well as when driving, if that matters. I think if I turn my music up loud it seems to do it along to the music, but it will still flicker even if I turn the radio down/off.

What can cause this? Maybe a bad fuse or something? The battery light hasnt come on or anything so I dont suspect the alternator...but I guess you never know. Anybody have ideas?

Old 07-04-2005, 08:59 PM
I think it is the alternator, I had that happen to me on a Nissan, I know it's a different car, but that happen to me on a Nissan, and it was the alternator, you can check that out pretty easy on AutoZone or PepBoys, that way you can eliminate one of the variables.

Old 07-04-2005, 10:00 PM
Hmm, was kind of hoping that wasnt it but it wouldnt surprise me. Im at 129k now so if this is the original alternator (I bought it with 96k) then Id say its doing a good enough job. Just bad timing, lots of things needing fixing now, but thats how it goes I guess.

Old 07-04-2005, 11:10 PM
Either the alternator or the battery, but both things can be checked in less then 10 minutes like I said at AutoZone or PepBoys. I had a bad battery on my truck just a month ago, and I never got a red light on, it just didn't start one morning. Just checked before it does the same thing to you

Old 07-05-2005, 03:12 AM
i've had the same problem with my odometer, not the whole dash light system. my odometer will randomly go dim for a period of time and turn bright again. think my answer is the same as what was mentioned above? its not a big problem, i just saw this post and thought it could be a quick fix if anyone knew what to do.

Old 07-05-2005, 03:39 AM
If it is just your odometer lights I wouldn't think the problem is your alternator or battery, could be, but not likely, maybe that is a bad fuse, or just a false contact somewhere. I haven't had that problem, also because my odometer is not digital :P, I don't think it is a major problem, but you never know.

Old 07-06-2005, 05:26 PM
When

Do the lights flicker without the engine running? If not, hit the dash and see if they flicker, again without the engine running.

Old 07-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigben2005
i've had the same problem with my odometer, not the whole dash light system. my odometer will randomly go dim for a period of time and turn bright again. think my answer is the same as what was mentioned above? its not a big problem, i just saw this post and thought it could be a quick fix if anyone knew what to do.

Big Ben, This is a common problem with many of these f-series trucks. I have the same exact issue and thus far the only solution that I can locate through my dealer is to replace the dash cluster. I'm not sure of ericpn's background in electronics or if he has ever taken the instument cluster apart on one of these trucks but I have and the loose connection theory isn't very viable seeing as how there is only one "snap" connector that is connected directly to the back of the odometer. It is either connected or not and the design of the wiring is such that there is no stress to cause it to become loose. None the less, If you wish you can use a volt-o-meter to test the wiring harness connector to rule out the possibility of loose wiring. There is no immediate harm in the dash doing this... some have tried to convince me that my odometer couldn't possibly be correct with this type of problem but the memory in your ecu keeps up with the correct mileage not the instrument cluster. Just my $.02 worth.

Old 07-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Unplug the regulator on the alternator and see what happens. Flickering lights may be indication of a coil breaking down as well, but that might be reaching.

Be advised that water entry into the GEM module/central junction box through a windshield leak can also cause weird stuff. This usually shows itself best after a hard rain though.

Old 07-07-2005, 08:17 AM
Its been over a month since the last rain, and temps have been getting near 100, so I dont think water is an issue right now

Ill check out some of those things tonight and get back to ya.

Which is the regulator?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dash lights flicker