AGM Batteries-- need some BTDT :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AGM Batteries-- need some BTDT :)

Hi..

I'm looking at replacing the battery in my 86 F150 4x4 (inline 6, of course!)

It sits for long periods of time, (I ride motorcycle as much as possible), so I'm considering AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery, for replacement.. They "sit around" well, tolerate deep discharge better, and are great for vibration prone envirornments.

I've been very impressed with Hawker Odyssey (PC-680)--having now 3 seasons on my motorcycle battery, without doing anything 'special...' So they get first 'vote' in my book.. Their 3 year REPLACEMENT warranty for automotive applications looks good to me too.

I'm considering their PC-1200, but am concerned that 860 amps at 32F, with 550 CCA@ 0F isn't going to be 'enough' punch to turn the engine over in the dead of winter.

The Optima "yellow" 34/78, is a similar AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery...

Cranking Amps at 32F: 870; Cold Cranking Amps at 0F: 750.. Around $160

Price is similar- Warranty is 3 years (REPLACEMENT) for the Hawker Odyssey, 1 year replacement 2 year prorata on the Optima.

Do you think the Odyssey PC-1200 will be 'enough' battery?? Or should I go with the Optima battery??

I see Exide (Orbital) batteries are AGM, and similar in output to the Optima, looks like they're around $100.

And I see "Deka" makes an Itimidator AGM, that is also in the same output range, but the price is better.. (around $100 also, with an 18 month replacement..)

I hope someone with some experience with these is on board..

....or do you have another AGM suggestion???

I'll be making my decision soon, as my truck is DOA in the driveway..

AJ RN

Old 06-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I waited for others to reply but guess not.
The original standard battery capacity is around 570 cca. Not all that large for a truck.
I would put in the largest physical size that will fit the box.
As far as AGM, I would not make that an issue unless you need rough service reliability.
The higher the capacity the longer you can run off the battery before starting problems and the longer the available crank time in cold weather.
We use an Optama Red top as other do in our application on an open wheel sprint car for the no spill feature and 850 cca amps and all is fine.

Old 07-01-2005, 02:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well..

I bought from a seller that sells both, Optima $70 more..

Obviously he had no 'vested interest' in selling me an Orbital, but said he sees about 'the same' failure rate.. He continued on, to say that he LOAD TESTS before he sells a battery, and that the INITIAL failure rate, is actually higher for Optimas..

NEEDLESS TO SAY, I'm putting my sale paperwork in my safe deposit box and essentially PLANNING on needing it in the future..

My departed Momma used to say.. "I carry a spare tire-- don't think I want a flat because of it.."

"Downtime" is my 'real issue..' Lead acids have never failed to 'crank..' but they don't sit well for months at a time, and then be expected to....

Thanks for the insight...

AJ

Quick Reply: AGM Batteries-- need some BTDT :)