Old 04-13-2015, 12:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Is your 'door ajar' or 'dome light' staying on? Forum members suggest various methods that they fixed their issue. The methods include:

Read the full discussion below to find out the preferred method.
          Print Wikipost

If your "door ajar" or "dome light" is staying on, Read this.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:19 PM
          Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
          Hey guys, new AZ guy here. I just purchased an 02 F-250 Super Duty 7.3 diesel. I have this problem with the door ajar light and dome light, only WD 40, brake cleaner and PB blaster have all proven in-effective. I tried leaving all 4 doors on until the dome light timed out. When I close the front doors after the dome light times out, it comes back on?? The backs do nothing. Which ones are screwed up??? How should I proceed?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:27 PM
          Great tip thanks bo

Old 10-19-2009, 10:55 PM
          Originally Posted by lees99f150
          since people are always asking how to fix their dome light or door ajar light from staying on. I thought i would make a post showing how to fix it.

if the light is on and the doors are shut then spray some wd40 in to the latch. The door switch is probably stuck.
          spray in both doors then open and close them a few times. Sometimes you will need to spray a lot of wd40 and it will run out the bottom of the doors. Just leave them open until it drains out.
          thanks thanks thanks its funny i just purchased my 03 f150 and i heard about this problem but like we all say this will not happen to me yeah righttt it happen today lights would not go off and i told my wife i'm selling it again but came home and google the problem and here i am saying thanksssss wd40 did i live in so cal thanks again and i will help whoever has this problem

roman

Old 12-27-2009, 12:42 AM
          Received 1 Like on 1 Post
          Wow, i can't believe i didn't find this post b4. I have had this issue for 3 yrs now. I've noticed mine is perfect when its cold out, but when it gets over 65 degrees this thing wont shut up. I'm gonna try this first thing in the a.m. and hopefully it will work.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:00 AM
          Received 1 Like on 1 Post
          I cannot believe that this simple shot of wd-40 has made my life miserable for the last 3 yrs! Thanks alot man. I'm so happy it worked!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:10 PM
          Originally Posted by ninja11zx
          ok,i just noticed last weekend my dome light isn't coming on when i open the door and the radio and headlights stay on when i turn off the truck and open the door. Also there is no buzzer letting you know the keys are still in the ignition. Radio and headlights go out after a couple minutes. This is a 2004 f150. Dome light wont work on any of the 4 doors. I cant find a fuse for the dome, but it works with the dimmer switch. Could the door switches also cause this? Thanks
          how didi you fix it ??

Old 02-05-2010, 10:17 PM
          Worked

It worked for me today!!!!!!I tried fixing it and got mad.I looked it up on here and thats all she wrote.Should have looked here first.THANKS

Old 03-19-2010, 08:57 PM
          Dome light and cargo light stays on when doors are closed

Thanks, I have had this problem for at least the last two years. Sometimes the lights would go off right away or take about 20 seconds. Other times the lights would stay on for hours. I only had this problem with the passanger side door. I tried the WD-40 trick and it worked right away. Thanks again, I was ready to go out and buy a Toyota pick-up to replace my 1998 F-150.I think the WD-40 cost me about $2.00 compared to $30,000+ for a new truck.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:13 PM
          Fixed it!

A buddy of mine had the same problem who lives in Oregon and his buddy is the service mgr at a dealership, replaced the "light relay" thats part of the fuse panel and voila no more dinging, lights or anything! Did this in December, and nothing still.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:47 PM
          2002 f-150 is doing the same thing but my cab light is on as well, will this fix that problem to?

Old 05-02-2010, 03:05 PM
          Been having a similar problem the last few days. Was going to pull the interior light relay to prevent battery discharge, but couldn't find the stupid interior fuse panel. Down and to the left of the steering column. Nonsense. Saw the advice about WD-40 on the latch side instead of the hinge side. Looks to be improved. Will apprise of success. Ghost of Sparta, out.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:57 AM
          dome light

I have a 2008 f150 and the dome light is stuck on along with the lights outside on top of the rear window. Your WD40 fix makes sense except I don't see any place to spray, my doors are totally different from the picture you show. they are covered in the same material as the dash and none of the things I push on move. I opened and reclosed all the 4 doors a few times and lights still stay on. My wife has to use it to go to work and unhooking the battery and tightening it back up would mean she would have to take a step ladder to reach it. Our dealership is closed now on weekends so she would have to take off work to have them look at it. We are both in our 60's and I don't get around very well anymore. Any ideas or help would be apreciated. Thank you

Old 06-07-2010, 11:06 AM
          the air bag warning lamp in your dash is blown

Old 06-07-2010, 12:06 PM
          hi there new guy here. My wife's 03 Explorer seems to be having this problem. Door ajar light staying on as well as the dome light. Also finding the door lock button is not responding on the driver side. I can roll the dimmer switch off and turn it back on and the door ajar light and the dome light turns off, but as soon as i open any of the doors the problem comes back. Any suggestions? I've been spraying WD-40 in all the door latches but doesn't seem to be working.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:39 PM
          Worked!!! Thank you!!

Quick Reply: If your "door ajar" or "dome light" is staying on, Read this.