Old 04-13-2015, 12:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Is your 'door ajar' or 'dome light' staying on? Forum members suggest various methods that they fixed their issue. The methods include:

Read the full discussion below to find out the preferred method.
          Print Wikipost

If your "door ajar" or "dome light" is staying on, Read this.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:20 AM
          Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
          My 2002 supercrew has a brain of it's own?

[QUOTE=lees99f150]Since people are always asking how to fix their dome light or door ajar light from staying on. I thought i would make a post showing how to fix it.

After a heavy rain my interior lights and box light will stay on sometimes I can hear an od buzzing noise that seems to be coming from under the dash drivers side. Did I mention it has a sunroof and there is water dripping from the [ HOLY CRAP ] handels on the A piller any one else with this problem?

Old 11-12-2007, 09:50 PM
          Some trucks had a problem with the front windshield leaking and shorting out the GEM under the dash.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:37 PM
          Man..you guys are great. I pulled the relay in my '97 3 door cause I couldn't figure out why the heck my dome light wouldn't turn off. Tried the WD-40, reinserted the relay, closed the doors and lo and behold..the dome light shut off!!!!! And to think I spent the better part of five months fumbling in the dark ...lol

Now, if I can just figure out why my analog odometer quit working (including the trip) My truck will be back to 100%........I will research that here on the board before posting that question though.

Last edited by Hawaiian1; 11-19-2007 at 04:40 PM.
          Old 12-08-2007, 06:22 PM
          How about the door lock?

Alright, try this one. When opening the passenger door after shutting the engine off, the dome light doesn't turn on, the radio still stays on and it remains on until the driver's door is opened. In all of this, the power lock on the passenger door doesn't work at all. Door open or closed, engine on or off, hot brunette in the seat or not....no door lock or unlock. It makes the noise and it "tries" but doesn't quite cut it. To me it sounds like a switch problem. Do you all think the wd40/brake cleaner trick will work? Oh, and fyi, the driver's door operates as it should.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:35 PM
          Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
          Received 1 Like on 1 Post
          Originally Posted by u1araceme
          Alright, try this one. When opening the passenger door after shutting the engine off, the dome light doesn't turn on, the radio still stays on and it remains on until the driver's door is opened. In all of this, the power lock on the passenger door doesn't work at all. Door open or closed, engine on or off, hot brunette in the seat or not....no door lock or unlock. It makes the noise and it "tries" but doesn't quite cut it. To me it sounds like a switch problem. Do you all think the wd40/brake cleaner trick will work? Oh, and fyi, the driver's door operates as it should.
          It might fix teh dome light and radio, make them turn on/off with the door, but teh door lock is another issue. Likely the actuator. They aren't expensive but can also be rebuilt. There are threads here that have step by steps for replacing or rebuilding. But you wont know if it needs it until you do some basic trouble shooting with a volt meter. But since it tries then I'd say the heat capacitor has went out inside the actuator and trips before the actuator has cycled. Thats a replacement of teh actuator or a rebuild.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:05 PM
          On a 2001 supercrew,we did the wd40 deal first. Then changed out the door sensor switches on all 4 doors. Still no luck and the door ajar/buzzer and inside lights come on most of the time.. We have adjusted all the door latches , checked fuzes and relays but again no fix..

Anyone have any suggestions? The truck has an auto start and auto door locks.. If you sit in the truck and keep hitting the door locks, the problem will come and go.. Can it be a door lock actuator?

Old 01-27-2008, 04:38 PM
          WD-40 Tips

Thank you Wild ***** for the tip on how to fix Door ajar and Dom/Cargo light staying on after shutting door. Went from 30 second delay back to as soon as I shut the Door lights go out........Thanks again

Old 02-12-2008, 03:01 PM
          Talking dome light fix.

it worked great thanks. i onlyhad a problem when it was cold out . drove me crazy last year. thanks again.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:09 PM
          Received 1 Like on 1 Post
          Originally Posted by Fordoholic
          Hey has anyone had the opposite problem? My 2004 F150 (new style) lariet won't kill the radio or trigger the dome lights when any of the doors open. I end up having to just let the radio go for 10 mins till it automaticaly shuts down. I don't think its a problem inside the door as it would have to be in all the doors. any ideas??

The dome lights do work when you turn them on manualy or press unlock on the remote. so I know the bulbs etc are good
          Hey...Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

Thanks

Old 03-14-2008, 10:23 AM
          Originally Posted by FattyBogora
          Hey...Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

Thanks
          i jus started haveing the same prob this week in my 04 .did u find prob and if so how to fix ,im going to start researching today

Old 04-08-2008, 10:54 AM
          tzh
          nice thread ~
          my uncle's door also having the same problem as you

Old 04-11-2008, 11:21 PM
          I have a 98 F-150 Ext Cab and I cant get the dome lights to go out.
          I do not have wiring going into my doors, so where are the switches located?

Old 04-11-2008, 11:27 PM
          My 98 Ext Cab lights has this problem, but there are no wires going into the doors, so where are the switches located?

Old 04-12-2008, 10:45 PM
          Exclamation

I AM HAVING A SIMILAR PROBLEM, BUT THERE ARE NO WARNING LIGHTS OR INDICATORS ANYWHERE. My 2000 f150 starts dinging about 15 seconds after I start it. It dings 5+5+5+5+5 (5 sets of 5) then stops for 30 mins. or until I stop then start it up again. I have tried the wd40 and looking for the wires suggested under the steering column with no luck. I can't find this problem addressed anywhere. Anyone else have this problem???? PLEASE HELP
          I just purchased a used 2003 F150 FX4 today with the same problem. The dinging will begin for no reason, and then it will miraculously stop. There are no warning lights, no doors open, and no lights on. So I'm looking for the same answer you are..... I'll let you know if I find out anything.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:44 PM
          Cool

what's up all... I just want to say thanks I started having this problem today and i tried the wd-40 thing and worked great. Thanks again.

Search this Thread
          Quick Reply: If your "door ajar" or "dome light" is staying on, Read this.